Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Budget build for a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 12:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Budget build for a newbie

Hello everyone, i'm a complete beginner on the world of rc. Done some research and asked people in this forum on what would be the best build for a beginner like me. After a couple of days of research i came up with this build.

Kit - sakura xi 110$
Motor - turnigy trackstar 17.5T 33$
Esc - hobbywing justock 55$
Servo - futaba s9551 85$
Transmitter - futaba 3pl 115$

So far i only have the sakura xi sport kit in hand. I still havent purchased all the electronics. Any second thoughts if i'm making the right decision. I also included the prices cause i dont know a lot of sites but the ones i listed are the cheapest ones i found.

One more thing, im looking forward to race at TQ in Chino, California since they are the nearest onroad track i can find. Tyvm
Old 10-28-2014, 12:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Dude, Why are you making a second thread to talk about and asked the same questions you did on your first thread which you started less then a week ago?
Old 10-28-2014, 12:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Evo 13
Dude, Why are you making a second thread to talk about and asked the same questions you did on your first thread which you started less then a week ago?
Just looking for second opinions. You can just ignore it. I'm the type of person that wants to be a 100% sure its worth it if im going to pay for something. Especially im not really familiar with all of these stuffs. The more i hear from people that really knows about this the more i learn. My bad tho if you think im being redundant on the subject. I wish i dont make more people mad 😰

I'm not looking to argue with people here. I'm just getting as much information as i can. My apologies to those who find my posts redundant. Will not happen in d future.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TheEarlyWorm

[...]

I'm the type of person that wants to be a 100% sure its worth it if im going to pay for something.

[...]

There's your mistake.

There is no 100% sure thing (in life in general, let alone for this hobby) and if there is a next best thing, it's not on the interwebs.

And I'm sure you've had more than just second opinions.

Go to the track you want to race (I'm pretty sure you've been told this already in the other thread) and you'll get the best info there.

Last edited by niznai; 10-28-2014 at 05:41 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Savox 1251 is worth a look if you're on a budget. It's a lot cheaper than the Futaba.

For the transmitter, it's worth considering the Sanwa/Airtronics MX-V. Not the prettiest in the world but it's cheaper than the Futaba and is a great budget transmitter.

You're going to need a lipo and a charger as well. The imax b6 is a good budget charger and you can't go wrong with the cheap Turnigy batteries from Hobbyking.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by daveaustin5
The Savox 1251 is worth a look if you're on a budget. It's a lot cheaper than the Futaba.

For the transmitter, it's worth considering the Sanwa/Airtronics MX-V. Not the prettiest in the world but it's cheaper than the Futaba and is a great budget transmitter.

You're going to need a lipo and a charger as well. The imax b6 is a good budget charger and you can't go wrong with the cheap Turnigy batteries from Hobbyking.
What would be my power supply for the imax b6?
Old 10-28-2014, 03:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What would be my power supply for the imax b6?
They sell power supplies on ebay for <$10. Just search for 'imax b6 adaptor us'.

In the UK, it's a very popular charger for budget racers. There might be an equivalent in the US that is equally popular.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:02 AM
Tech Master

Hello everyone, i'm a complete beginner on the world of rc. Done some research and asked people in this forum on what would be the best build for a beginner like me. After a couple of days of research i came up with this build.

Kit - sakura xi 110$
Motor - turnigy trackstar 17.5T 33$
Esc - hobbywing justock 55$
Servo - futaba s9551 85$
Transmitter - futaba 3pl 115$

So far i only have the sakura xi sport kit in hand. I still havent purchased all the electronics. Any second thoughts if i'm making the right decision. I also included the prices cause i dont know a lot of sites but the ones i listed are the cheapest ones i found.

One more thing, im looking forward to race at TQ in Chino, California since they are the nearest onroad track i can find. Tyvm
If your skill level is not so good. I would even slow your 17.5 motor down alot. If i remember correctly at TQ. They use a combination of 2x4's and dots. You will break your car often as a newbie going full speed. Make sure to put a servo saver (xrays is the best) on your servo. It will help prevent you from destroying your servo. If i were you, i would find someone knowledgable with set up and have them set your car up to be pushy to start. As you get better, you can go to a more aggresive setup
Old 10-28-2014, 08:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

I would also recommend 1251. It is stable and you can always get a cheaper price.
But in my opinion, i think you can buy a better transmitter.It is very important and you can use long time.

I always want to have 2nd suggestions, but the more i heard the more i don't know how to make decision. Because people share their experience here, but maybe is not good for your driving. You can get more experience at track.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It is going to be difficult to really make educated decisions with so much information and personal preferences being offered. I think like most you'll have to learn from trial and error. You can probably avoid some error by going to your local track and asking people what they are running and reading about products on these forums. But still there will be some things you'd have done different when you look back. There really isn't one path here.

If you truly get into the hobby you will most likely end up w/ a completely different setup in a short time than what you start off with. You'll find that you prefer certain brands over others and you'll learn where it is important to buy the best you can afford and where you can skimp a bit -although if you start racing competitively you'll learn there is no where you can skimp!

All of our opinions are just that. For example, I personally trust Futaba for their receivers, servos and controllers ....it's all I'll use. They've been around for a long time, they make quality parts and they back it up. Doesn't mean they are the best, just my preference.

Good luck on your RC journey!
Old 10-29-2014, 08:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by eR1c
It is going to be difficult to really make educated decisions with so much information and personal preferences being offered. I think like most you'll have to learn from trial and error. You can probably avoid some error by going to your local track and asking people what they are running and reading about products on these forums. But still there will be some things you'd have done different when you look back. There really isn't one path here.

If you truly get into the hobby you will most likely end up w/ a completely different setup in a short time than what you start off with. You'll find that you prefer certain brands over others and you'll learn where it is important to buy the best you can afford and where you can skimp a bit -although if you start racing competitively you'll learn there is no where you can skimp!

All of our opinions are just that. For example, I personally trust Futaba for their receivers, servos and controllers ....it's all I'll use. They've been around for a long time, they make quality parts and they back it up. Doesn't mean they are the best, just my preference.

Good luck on your RC journey!
+1

i also have my own like brands. But i also would like to try new brands even they are not well known.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Buy what you can afford now...trust me if you stay in the hobby you will spend a lot more as your experience level grows.Go out and get some stick time and have fun, don't over think it.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

All your answers can be found here -> http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...need-tips.html