Wiki Posts
Search

oddonnel or byrons?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 09:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris__RC
Good luck tuning the LSN and idle with O'Donnell, it is very toxic IMO. I ran both ODonnell 20% race and Nitrotane 20% race and Nitrotane definitly wasn't as toxic and had cooler temps. O'Donnell had good power though.
Not sure what you mean about tuning with odonnell??? It's the easiest tuning fuel I have ever run. And it is also some of the coolest burning fuel I have run.

If you are talking about the fumes it creates, they are all very toxic. You may have smelled it more because of the ingredients of odonnell, but they are all very toxic. And if you can't deal with or even like the smell of nitro, you shouldn't be in this hobby.

Nitrotane may burn cleaner, but that is for a reason. Less smoke means less oil, which means less lubrication, which means shorter engine life/ more bearing failures.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 82 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Alan D.
What do you mean by toxic?
the smell of od is pretty bad when siting there trying to tune a lsn haha

I actually made the switch from byrons to sidewiner loved it lhs stoped sidewinder I went to od now od is back above 45 bucks a gallon I have jumped over to torco and really love this fuel I recommend it to anyone
Old 06-21-2009, 09:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Not sure what you mean about tuning with odonnell??? It's the easiest tuning fuel I have ever run. And it is also some of the coolest burning fuel I have run.

If you are talking about the fumes it creates, they are all very toxic. You may have smelled it more because of the ingredients of odonnell, but they are all very toxic. And if you can't deal with or even like the smell of nitro, you shouldn't be in this hobby.

Nitrotane may burn cleaner, but that is for a reason. Less smoke means less oil, which means less lubrication, which means shorter engine life/ more bearing failures.
I have never had a fuel that when the engine is idling and I am trying to tune it I just walk about from it for a minute because of how toxic it is. They all are toxic, just none as bad as O'Donnell as far as I know. Tuning was easy, it was just getting close to the exhaust for more than a couple seconds.

I noticed that Nitrotane didn't have as much smoke, not even as much as my Byron Pro driver (9% oil) or Trinity Platinum (8% oil). Can't comment on Nitrotane longevity as I only bought one quart and one gallon then switched over to Byron because it was so easy to get.

Originally Posted by smokinu
the smell of od is pretty bad when siting there trying to tune a lsn haha
Thats what I mean Alan D......
Old 06-21-2009, 09:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I have never had a fuel that when the engine is idling and I am trying to tune it I just walk about from it for a minute because of how toxic it is. They all are toxic, just none as bad as O'Donnell as far as I know. Tuning was easy, it was just getting close to the exhaust for more than a couple seconds.

I noticed that Nitrotane didn't have as much smoke, not even as much as my Byron Pro driver (9% oil) or Trinity Platinum (8% oil). Can't comment on Nitrotane longevity as I only bought one quart and one gallon then switched over to Byron because it was so easy to get.
Must be why my local indoor track gets so toxic inside. Pretty much everyone runs od. We have very good ventilation, but the starting area under the stand gets BAD. Too much od.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:49 PM
Tech Master

Easy to tell when someone is running OD fuel. When the drivers are on the stand & warming their motors waiting for track access & everyone is rubbing their eyes & stepping back so they cant see their pit guy then some one is running OD fuel guarenteed.The smell is not too bad but the burning sinus & watery eyes is a dead give away.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

o'donnell ........you may think it smells bad but good smelling fuel wont get you to the top and give you the most milage
Old 06-22-2009, 07:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I rather have teh exhaust fumes give me watery eyes and bad smell and force me to step away then not smell like anything and keep me near the car breathing that crap in.

ALL EXHAUST FUMES are bad..

My OD30% race runs 20 degrees cooler than traxxas, and runs like a bull.

I'll try bryons though since it's 22 bucks at my LHS for 33% for 1 gal.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 82 (99%+)

man all you guys with cheap fuel from hobby shops

modesto hobby I selling fuel for high prices
gallon of byrons 30 % 45$
gallon of od 30% 42$
when they have sidewinder its 38 bucks a gallon
Old 06-22-2009, 10:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by devilchrist
I rather have teh exhaust fumes give me watery eyes and bad smell and force me to step away then not smell like anything and keep me near the car breathing that crap in.

ALL EXHAUST FUMES are bad..

My OD30% race runs 20 degrees cooler than traxxas, and runs like a bull.

I'll try bryons though since it's 22 bucks at my LHS for 33% for 1 gal.
That really isn't a good thing. Traxxas fuel has 18% synthetic oil (or so) and makes the engines run hot but rich. I tried 4 different fuels on my Mach 427. First was Traxxas 20%, ran at 280. Second was Nitrotane 20%, ran at 250. Third was Trinity Platinum 20%, Ran at 240. And lastly was Byron 30% Pro Driver, ran at 200-230 and more power than any of the other fuels.

I think the Byron you are buying is the the RTR stuff.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (88%+)

Byron's fo sho! all my engines have run better on this than OD. and it doesn't stain my tanks like the OD.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
O'Donnell all the way!!!!

I absolutely love odonnell fuel. Best fuel I have ever run. It burns clean and cool. Engines last forever, and dont build up carbon. It uses part castor and part synthetic for the best of both worlds. Awesome fuel. I do run 20% though. The majority of guys run 30%. I stick with 20% because I see no advantage to 30%. It would also cost me as much as $10 a gallon more than 20%. Anyway, I like odonnell fuels.
i agree... i switched to odonnell a while ago and i love it...i dont think im going to change
Old 06-22-2009, 01:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default fuel

I think byrons and odonnells is great I would run byrons over odonnells any day, but I prefer Torco and thats what I run...oh wait thats because I work there...lol

I can get you guys torco at resonable rates shipped to your door...let me know..

runs cool, makes great power!!

Steven Davis
(480) 242-6326
www.torco.com
Old 06-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I run Byron's because it's available locally, but when i can afford to get a case of OD shipped then that's what i'm getting and for no other reason than because its MADE IN THE U.S.A.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

That really isn't a good thing. Traxxas fuel has 18% synthetic oil (or so) and makes the engines run hot but rich. I tried 4 different fuels on my Mach 427. First was Traxxas 20%, ran at 280. Second was Nitrotane 20%, ran at 250. Third was Trinity Platinum 20%, Ran at 240. And lastly was Byron 30% Pro Driver, ran at 200-230 and more power than any of the other fuels.

I think the Byron you are buying is the the RTR stuff.
It was race fuel 33%. guy at the hobby shop is like it's a price mistake...

I got OD 30% race instead since that's what I like, but may try bryons, may be not.

very true running cooler isn't necessarily a good thing, but my OS speed is running at 210-230 at rich race tune (measured after comming in to pit, so 10-20 higher while actually running), which to me is good temp to run at..
Old 06-22-2009, 03:21 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

One of our local expert drivers did a test last week with O'donnel and Byron's Gen 2.

Had the car race tuned on O'Donnel, it was what he usually runs.

Put in a tank of Byron's (same nitro content) and temps dropped 30 degrees... and it got "burbly" so he had to lean it a bit.

YMMV. Both are VERY good fuels. I personally run Nitro Juice, for 3 reasons: 1) it is good fuel. I had to lean a bit when I changed from Sidewinder, I get a little better mileage. 2) I know, like, and respect the guy who makes it, Mike Battaile. 3) He cuts me a deal. (no, I am not giving details.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.