Cleaning ball bearings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cleaning ball bearings

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 01:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

what type of oil do you guys use to relube your bearings? i went to my lhs and asked for some lube for bearings, and the guy didn't know what would work well, so i ended up with nothing.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:14 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by SSJChar
what type of oil do you guys use to relube your bearings? i went to my lhs and asked for some lube for bearings, and the guy didn't know what would work well, so i ended up with nothing.
For normal lube , I recoment KAWADA 'NATALIE' lube , include with teflon . It works best, just one drop. after u clean your bearing and let it dry out.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

alright thanks, ill try to look for that.
is it actually common pratice to lube the bearings? people at the local club here say you don't need to do it and they say its actually bad to do it, and so supposedly no one does it then. i thought it would be important to atleast apply SOME lube to it, just like how you have to grease your ball diff.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:28 AM
Tech Adept

Always lube them. Use metal oil. I just take the rubber covers off and blast with brake cleaner. Then I let them dry out for a bit and put one cover on the bearing and fill them up with metal oil. I do it before every race, and at least once every two weeks. Its not such a bit factor for 1/10 scale, but I race mini Z too, and those really need their bearings cleaned often. At least once a week.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

alright thanks, ill try to look for that.
is it actually common pratice to lube the bearings? people at the local club here say you don't need to do it and they say its actually bad to do it, and so supposedly no one does it then. i thought it would be important to atleast apply SOME lube to it, just like how you have to grease your ball diff.
One drop is all you need.
I use Zubak speed lube.
http://www.teameamotorsports.com/cat...products_id=51
Thats it one drop spin the bearings on this
http://www.teambrood.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=423
Pat them dry on shop towel.
Put them back in.
I also use the RPM Bearing blaster for rubber sealed bearings as you usally won't get the seal to sit right once you remove one without binding which is why you remove seal in the first place to get rid of binding material.

If you want great bearings try Boca.
They have a great .99 cent bearing sale going right now if you bearings are a bit gritty.
Here is a direct link to the 99cent sale.
http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.aspx?p=ws
They also have bearing kits for almost every RC car out. If you have trouble finding a complete kit PM me the kit and I can find it for you. There Ceramics are the best I have used. I have their Ceramic Bearings with their Lightning Yellow seals right now in all my cars, They only get better as once the seals get their wear marks these things are like butter.....LOL
-Shookie <><
Old 09-23-2006, 05:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

doesn't matter how you clean it, just make sure they spin grit-free after the clean process. you can even use water and detergent as long as you place them in something like acetone or metholated spirits or circuit board cleaner straight after.

whatever you do, use mobil 1 oil as a lube. it is the best man. don't worry about if you placed too much oil, the excess will just eventually spin out.

also do a search on this, it's been asked thousands of times, so there will be heaps of idea. I USE A ULTRASONIC CLEANER PERSONALLY.

the quick guys just buy a new set and install
Old 09-24-2006, 05:26 AM
Tech Addict

I used to use the wave cleaner until I bought "professional" stainless steel ultrasonic cleaner. I soak the bearings in white spirit, also known as terpentine and let them "cook" in the US cleaner for about five minutes.

I do as TomB does and use Mobil1 to lube the bearings. What ever you do, DON'T put oils containing Teflon in bearings. Teflon reduces friction on any metal that is sliding on another metal. The balls in ball bearings are designed to roll inside the bearings, not slide. Professional racing teams (like in F1, Moto-GP and such) don't use oils containing Teflon.

When you're buying bearings try to find out what their ABEC rating is. The higher the ABEC rating is the better the quality of the bearing is. Higher ABEC means less rolling resistance, longer lasting and more expensive bearing.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Then you need to find a better hobby shop. Anyway you can go to Wal-Mart and go to the fishing dept. and get some reel oil. The stuff works great and is light enough that there is no drag.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:25 AM
Tech Adept

WalaWalaStore on ebay!!

http://stores.ebay.com/WalawalaStore?refid=store

bearings from 0.47 dollar up to like 3,70 for a ceramic one. dont know the quality cause i havent ordered yet but a set of T2 bearings is like 12 dollar..

dont clean ya bearings, put a new one in for 0.47 and save on lube, brake-cleaner, wd-40

kiddin' i use an earlier mentiond RPM bearing blaster, they are still for sale everywhere! Perfect!!

Mark
Old 09-24-2006, 02:06 PM
Tech Regular

Remove the shields (they slow you down)
lighter fluid is what I use to soak them for a few days. Then spray them out with motor spray and LUBE.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:29 PM
Tech Adept

I soak mine in motor spray in a sealed container on a vibrating surface (I use the filter on our fish tank . Usually I remove the shields first, then burn off the motor spray afterwards. It's meant to burn off all the carpet fibre in there...My TC4 transmission spins much better when I clean the bearings this way instead of just soaking them in a liquid.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:54 PM
Tech Regular

How do you remove the sheilds off bearings?
Old 12-11-2006, 06:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I blew out a bearing on my T2r, I don't believe they are 007 spec and I didn't relube them before I drove the car. A couple were less lubed than others after about 8 packs worth of driving, and one bearing was jacked completely, probably from a hit. The bearings that were less lubed spun faster, but you could hear the metal to metal contact, so I added some oil and they now feel like the rest, they don't spin as free, but don't make noise. Is it normal for the rubber sealed bearings to not spin for that long? Is carpet too dirty to run metal sheilded bearings?
Old 12-11-2006, 09:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Rubber seals in general roll less freely because it's actually touching both sides, while metal shields usually just hook up to the outer race, and leave a gap for the inner.

I often do half-and-half for my wheel axles when outdoors, rubber for the surfaces facing out, and metal or none at all for the inner surfaces which are closed in..

I use metal shields all the time for carpet racing, it does gum them up a bit after a while but I don't find it too severe. I buy them at walawala, at 47 cents a piece I can't go wrong if they sieze up, just pop a new one in.. now they're selling ABEC-5 for a little bit more, but still damn cheap.

Bought ceramics from them for my Carpet Knife, still rolling crazy freely, and bought a dozen flanged chrome ones for the diff, as they go ALL the time.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just picked up some Boca Cermaics, Ultra seals. They have grease in them I believe, roll smooth but not really "free". They are supposed to be maintence free. Am I gonna see much improvement by cleaning them with a bearing blaster and motor spray then re-oiling them? Or should I leave them be?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.