Wiki Posts
Search

LiPO battery leads - direct connect or banana plug

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 08:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default LiPO battery leads - direct connect or banana plug

I am looking at some Gens Ace Lipo Batteries. They have two types - one where the battery leads are directly wired to the individual cells and one where the leads are removable.(See attached pics). What is the consensus on the best type of wire leads from the battery (not to the ESC but from the cells themself).

I can see when racing that the removable leads may come loose - maybe. But I can see that on direct connect that if the wiring gets damaged, it could be a pain in the butt to repair especially if it were the balance plug. In that scenario with the removable leads, you just replace the leads. However, with the removable leads, you could inadvertantly cross the wires and short the battery - wouldn't happen on the direct connect.

THoughts?
Attached Thumbnails LiPO battery leads - direct connect or banana plug-yhst-62196343123315_2190_48213798.gif   LiPO battery leads - direct connect or banana plug-yhst-62196343123315_2191_14018373.gif  

Last edited by rsscoggins; 01-11-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

4mm bullets are used because they have the strongest contact, in my opinion it's impossible for them to lose contact. They are the standard for years, both with NiMh and mow with LiPO and 95 percent of racers use them, so use them
Old 01-11-2012, 09:01 AM
Tech Champion

Never seen a LiPo with a direct connect. I believe ROAR prohibits such a connection. Typically you will see batteries come with either bullet connectors or Deans connectors.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Maybe you guys aren't following - I am looking at Gens Ace Hardcase batteries. I am talking about how the leads connect to the battery not to the esc.

Gens ACE sells batteries that have the leads directly soldered to the cells or they them with removable leads.

I would post pics or links but I don't have enough posts yet to do so...

Last edited by rsscoggins; 01-11-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:22 AM
Tech Champion

I assume you mean ones like these that have wires coming out of the case:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-30c-40...se-direct.html

if you look closely you'll see another small pic in the corner...that is the type of connector that is already on the leads. For some reason the Gens Ace batteries come with that really odd connector but that is simple enough to change out for a Deans or other connector that you want to use. I haven't seen it in awhile but some batteries can come with the leads but no connector...that is so you can put your own connector on the leads but it is not for a direct connect.

Also banana plugs = bullet connectors in this case...some people call them banana...some people call them bullet
Old 01-11-2012, 10:27 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

I prefer to have them plugged in like my gens ace. I have had the direct solder wires get ruined and its not as easy to replace them.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
I assume you mean ones like these that have wires coming out of the case:

if you look closely you'll see another small pic in the corner...that is the type of connector that is already on the leads. For some reason the Gens Ace batteries come with that really odd connector but that is simple enough to change out for a Deans or other connector that you want to use. I haven't seen it in awhile but some batteries can come with the leads but no connector...that is so you can put your own connector on the leads but it is not for a direct connect.

Also banana plugs = bullet connectors in this case...some people call them banana...some people call them bullet
I am not referring to how the leads connect to the ESC - I know you can use Dean's, Traxxas, etc for that. The link you provided is for Gens Ace that has the leads directly connected to the cells. They also have them with removable leads.

Last edited by rsscoggins; 01-11-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use batteries with both types, wired and/or bullits. What is your real question? Both work and both are easy to use.

With some of my ESCs like for my 1/12, WGT, Drifter, 2wd buggy, 4wd buggy I use bullits. For my crawlers and scalers I use Deans and wired batteries.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (75%+)

people are not following because you didn't explain clearly in your first post.
it was really confusing
Old 01-11-2012, 11:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by tryandfok
people are not following because you didn't explain clearly in your first post.
it was really confusing
I agree - pictures are worth a thousand words. I couldn't post links due to the post count not being high enough. I found I could attach pictures.

The question is - which is preferred and why? Either battery can have your choice of connector to the ESC but what is the preferred connection to the cells themself - direct wire or removable leads?
Old 01-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

For me It depends on the setup and what would fit based on battery holders and such. When possible I like them directly(Permanently) connected to the battery. Less chance of reversing the banana plugs when you are in a hurry. Whenever possible I use the direct connect to the battery then deans plugs to the esc.

Rob
Old 01-11-2012, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rsscoggins
I agree - pictures are worth a thousand words. I couldn't post links due to the post count not being high enough. I found I could attach pictures.

The question is - which is preferred and why? Either battery can have your choice of connector to the ESC but what is the preferred connection to the cells themself - direct wire or removable leads?
You can also ask what people like better, wires coming off the side or the top.

It will really depend on where the battery is located in the chassis that will dictate which type of connection you use.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (75%+)

i use removable leads because i get to choose to use bullet or the option bullet to dean wire when i need to.
both dean and bullet is reliable and haven't came loose on me

Old 01-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Tech Champion

I am not referring to how the leads connect to the ESC - I know you can use Dean's, Traxxas, etc for that. The link you provided is for Gens Ace that has the leads directly connected to the cells. They also have them with removable leads.
The cells come in one of 2 ways...either with leads already connected to the cells which have connectors on the other end of the leads...or they come with bullet connectors built into the hard case. The ones that have the removeable leads are just ones that use bullet connectors and have a set of leads with bullet connectors on one side and a connector to the ESC on the other.

No matter which way you go you are going to have some sort of connector between the battery and the ESC...what matters is which method you want your ESC to connect using. A battery that has leads and a connector already attached is the easiest method...but a battery using bullet connectors inside the hard case makes for a much cleaner wiring installation.

Leads attached to the cells with a connector on the other end:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-30c-40...se-direct.html

Bullet connector inside the hard case:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-40c-50...-hardcase.html

Bullet connector inside the hard case with a lead adapter to use a different connector:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-50c-50...case-2222.html

The last to are both bullet connector battery packs...but one comes with leads that you can use to make an adapter from bullet to Deans or whatever other connector you want to use. No single method is better than the other of the 3...it all depends on what type of connector you like to use to your ESC and what will fit in your car's battery location. Some cars have an upper deck or brace that covers the bullet connectors so they can't use a battery like that. Other cars have a very tight fit so having a battery with wires that exit the side is not going to work very well. Something to consider though that in the 3rd pack if you use the provided leads then you are connecting with 2 connectors where if you use the first pack or the 2nd with bullet connectors on your ESC then you are only going through 1 connector. Resistance goes up with every connector you add...however the amount is so small that you would never be able to notice a difference while running the car.

Last edited by InspGadgt; 01-11-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Tech Master

Racing: I'd suggest 4mm bullets.

Not racing or prone to connecting things backwards: I'd suggest deans or some other pig-tailed connector.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.