Search

Converting touring car to rally car

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cheezburger
Hey all,
I have an HPI Sprint 2 Flux and was wonder what i would have to do to convert this thing to a rally car. The reason why i ask is because the only place i can drive this thing without bottoming out all the time is on the street. There's a huge tennis court in front of my house i would like to drive at but there are some pretty nasty cracks that the car just barely passes over. If i can't convert it to a rally car, could i atleast upgrade to threaded shocks / stiffer springs to increase the ride height? Thanks
You mean like this one ?
http://www.hpieurope.com/kit-info.ph...=en&partNo=371
Old 06-20-2012, 03:26 PM
Tech Master

I know it is a different kit, but a purpose built rally chassis. I like the layout too.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WRXGuy
I'm a noob, and have to ask....What are droop screws? I am considering turning my HPI Sprint 2 into a rally car as well. Money is tight, so going out and spending $200, or more, on a DF 03RA kit isn't possible. I would love one, but not possible.
They're little 'grub' screws that pass through the suspension arms through to built in droop stops on the chassis. Screwing them in raises the arm, reducing ride height (or total suspension travel). Screwing them out allows the arm to travel its full range which will give you a larger ride height (as long as you have big enough shocks).
Old 06-21-2012, 01:24 AM
Tech Regular

DF-03Ra is S**t chassis... It's not rally pupropse chassis, only rebuilt buggy. Overheating motor, poor geabox, heavy rear end etc.. Cut out downstops and use longer shocks, after some covering sprint 2 will be better rally car than DF-03... Search for some czech websites, rally is popular here - and most popular car is belt driven Xrayy so you maybe will find some good tips.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Take out droop screws and put longer ballcups on the shock ends. Simply getting longer shafts does phuc all as the travel is the same in the shock body.
Ideally, you could convert to 1/10 buggy shocks to get longer shock travel. Run softish springs but stiff oil.

I modded my ntc3 for rally worked quite well. Modified the inner shock guide to get 3 more mm out of the stockers. Ran gold springs all round threaded way down. Car handles like a pig though with like...-6 downstop though.