Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 09:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Here's some more info on my GT1. Only chassis changes are their updated two speed and CVD's. This was my first race after being away from the track for over a year. GT is a fun class than allows a racer to be competitive without excessive pre event track time. I won two of my qualifiers and finished third overall in the A main.

For engine, I began the event running an OS .21 VSpec that I pulled from my 1:8 buggy. Ran this in two of the qualifiers, but I opted to install and run and race using a fresh OS .21 VG and an OS 2040 pipe. I run Merlin plugs. Like Mike, I bought this engine for last years Challenge rules as well as to fit Midwest rules...I just never made it.

I use the a Fioroni Twin Turbo sliding clutch with Kyosho Japanese bearings. I totally swear by this clutch. Crazy durable, easily adjustable, and consistent.

I practiced, qualified and raced on a set of Kyosho V slick tires (40) on Kyosho wheels. (more on this in my previous post)

In the car, I run a Ballistic 2800 nimh rx pack. These fit in the GT perfect and run forever. I use Ballistic lipo batteries in my radio mainly to reduce weight.

For this race, I changed from my Airtronics M11 to a MX3x transmitter. It has all the features I need, and it's way lighter...ideal for longer mains. 94361 servos.

I run Byron fuel in all my nitros. For the Challenge, I ran 20% Gen II.

Protoform PF8 body. It does the job and priced right. I also use the ProLine air filter in all my nitros.

I'll be glad to answer any questions people have as it relates to any of this.

10-4
Eric
Old 07-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I ran the Kyosho gt2 stock chassis just the new 2 speed tranny on it everything else just how it comes out of the box. With work and busy schedule I bearly had time to get it ready before the race Friday night. Didn't have time to get my GT1 ready for this race.
Engine department I ran an RB Concept Shark 9 with matching pipe. TC Tuner seemed to have more top end in the straight (maybe engine needed better tunning)
3 shoe alum clutch 1.1 mm springs / stock gearing
Ipanema Warrior, 45 front 45 wide rear Ipanema tires
Byron 20%RTR has more lubrications I ran this blend since engine was still tight ( I think I should have ran the 20% race or even the 25% )
Radio Futaba 3PKS
Servos I ran JR and Hitech (def. need better servos throttle servo went out 39mins into the A main) guys don't spent twice and buy good servos from start.
Set up
80K serpent front diff
10K Ofna rear diff
Front and Rear staybilizer bars
80wt ae shock oil in the front with Revo shocks
90wt trinity oil rear also with Revo shocks

After all the track time car needed very minimum maintenace I replaced the clutchbell bearings and that was it.

I always rotate my tires after each qualy and mains

Guys this is a great tip! Always Always clean your tires before a race. Simple green is the stuff I use and it works really good you don't have to wait for tires to warm up.

I know my car still needs lots of work and set up is not 100% some GT guys were sharing some of what they do with their cars
Some use cvd's from the MBX5 cheaper and rebuildable
Shim the car everywhere so there's very minimum play
Old 07-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Tech Master

I just bought myself my friend's old spec GT2 gear, who isn't racing GT anymore. I was getting too fast for my friends on parking lots with my BMT so it wasn't fair running anymore, so I asked if he still has the car and he did so I decided to go for it.

It was pretty dirty and it took me all day (I'm on summer vacation) to fix and clean it. It came with spares (mostly used) so I was able to find parts that I used to replace even more worn out parts on the car.

It has nice Futaba servo's and Orion nimh pack, Werks B5 motor with Orion CRF 2066 pipe and a Kyosho starter box. A couple of bodies, the Audi was in the best shape. That's actually good because my friends have Audis, too, and we can setup a DMT race for fun.

For the option parts it has the IGW008 tranny most importantly, sway bars front and rear and acre brake pads. I added the SP brake disc from the parts I had. I also replaced the 2-shoe carbon clucth with 3-shoe aluminum I had laying around. Finally I put a large airfilter with a dust cover on the motor and changed a new Orion plug.

I will the change the conrod of the engine and perhaps get the front universals to replace the worn out wheel hubs/cups.

I will keep the BMT on the side, to run it occasionally on parking lots when I want to kick some.. and on the race tracks especially
Old 07-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

Old 07-05-2011, 08:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grenade10
Mike as I said earlier, your car was dialed. Also nice to meet you! I'll be back next year With Out the 8-9min Gremlins........ Oh Well, still had a ton of fun.

I know pretty much what Bill and Rick ran, but will let them post the info.
Ofna GTP chassis with Late Model rear shock tower
O.S. .21 XZ-B
O.S. 2050 pipe
Futaba 9452 servos for steering and throttle
Protoform PF-8 body
Lifesource 1300mah RX battery
80K front, 5K rear diff oil
700 front, 600 rear Muchmore shock oil
stock swaybars
O'Donnell 30% Speed Blend fuel

I experimented with tires all through practice and qualifying. I ran old Ofna belted slicks and Ipanema 50s. I then borrowed a set of Sweep 45 radials from Mark for the last qualifier and main, much better grip! Unfortunately the rear diff cup came loose late in the race which led to a rear center shaft failure. I was in 3rd at the time the cup came loose.

I also have to thank Mark for the brake upgrade idea. I installed a RC8 disc with the stock steel pads before the last qualifier. I ran the brake bolts from the inside of the center bulkhead and used lock nuts to hold the pads on. Better braking and no screws coming out. Brakes are still the weak point on these cars IMO due the weight and heat generated. Got to get to work on some vented rotors and pads.....
Old 07-05-2011, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Rick Vessel

Sent you a PM
Old 07-05-2011, 09:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Happy Meal
Sent you a PM
Replied
Old 07-05-2011, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jrz93
Good idea...see I face my pipe towards the ground w/o that silicone...
Can u post pics of that deflector?
Here's a few pics of the deflector, easy and simple.
Attached Thumbnails GT class--buggy-based on road!-img_4896.jpg   GT class--buggy-based on road!-img_4897.jpg   GT class--buggy-based on road!-img_4898.jpg  
Old 07-05-2011, 11:59 PM
Tech Elite

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Great vid JSpeed. Thanks for posting.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:50 AM
Tech Master

Yeah, great vid!

For those who are interested of italian short wheelbase bodies, here's my just finished "vintage" F40 body

More
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Old 07-06-2011, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikaR
Yeah, great vid!

For those who are interested of italian short wheelbase bodies, here's my just finished "vintage" F40 body

More
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sweet! Are those available in the states?
Old 07-06-2011, 07:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Vessell
Here's a few pics of the deflector, easy and simple.
Thnx
Old 07-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Another great looking body from Mika. It's even my color. When you get tired of that one, you can send it my way.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Mika, got any more pics of that one, body looks great.

edit: found them on the IGT boards.

Last edited by briankstan; 07-06-2011 at 10:09 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.