Wiki Posts
Search

Can someone educate me on lipos? Particularly for Slash

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Can someone educate me on lipos? Particularly for Slash

I have searched around a bit and have learned a little but not exactly everything I need to know. I am going to purchase a slash very soon but this will be my first electric RC in like 20 years. Im not sure if I will do much racing but I am interested in upgrading it to a lipo battery. It sounds like you need to have your act together when dealing with these so I am trying to find all the info I can.

I want something more powerful but nothing too overkill. Any recommendations on any particular batteries? Also how do I care for them? Proper charging and discharging? I just dont want to fork out the cash for one of these only to ruin it.

I have a Pirhana charger for my nimh's so I am wondering if there is a charger that doesnt cost a ton that will get the job done. Even if it only charges lipos is fine.

I have also read something about balancers but not sure what they are for or how they work. Is this something else I need?

If anyone has any informational links to learn more about this would be sweet as well.

Any help would be great!!

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2008, 08:34 PM
Tech Regular

For LiPos, you need a LVC(Low voltage cutoff). The way LiPos work, they put out the maximum amount of power they can until they reach a certain voltage, after which they would likely swell and even catch fire if not stopped pretty quick. I highly advise you get one for your Slash if you are going to run it with the stock XL-5 speed control.

Also, LiPos are not water friendly, so I wouldn't advise you get them too wet. As far as a balancer, they are absolutely necessary to take care of the LiPo cells. If you don't use this, the cells won't be balanced and eventually one will become overcharged and the other undercharged, which could end in a fiery ball of fate(woohoo for alliteration)

As far as chargers I can suggest the Duratrax Onyx 230. While it does cost ~$80, it's well worth it. It's saved my house at least once so far with a Venom battery pack that went bad.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

cool circleville. right down the road from me. been wanting to take the kids to the pumpkin show but we always have things to do.

you cannot run a low voltage cutoff on a slash with the xl5. it wont work. the only thing you can do is use the audible alarm with it.
you dont want to run the battery low or it will ruin it.
do you play on racing it or just some bashing.
you can get a charger with a lipo balancer built into it.
i would also go with a hardcase lipo.
you will also need a lipo sac to charge and store the battery in.
here is a good read ( thanks davidr) http://www.maxamps.com/lipo-care.php

here is my opinion. if you are just going to bash and keep the xl5 just go with some nimh packs. you can get some nice elite 5000 packs from www.cheapbatterypacks.com for $41 built.
or go with some eng 4600 packs from http://www.promatchracing.com/products.php?cat=5 either matched or unmatched in the side bt side configuration. $45 matched $37 unmatched
you will be able to get 2-3 nimh packs for the price of one lipo.
or if you are set on a lipo get the trinity 4500 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTAV3&P=SM it has the low cutoff built into it. but good luck finding it. i heard they have discontinued it.

however if you are going to race it go with some lipo packs. as you will not run the batt down in one race. inbetween races you give it a charge to top it off. a popular i have seen is the team orion 3800 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVHA3&P=SM
try and atleast get a 25c rated lipo 3600 or above.

charger wise. i have a duratrax ice. great charger but to do lipos you need a balancer which i am going to get the teamcheckpoint http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTSA5&P=SM
there are others out there but i used these for my nimh and going to use it for my lipos
Old 12-12-2008, 08:23 AM
Tech Initiate

I second the 230 charger. For the price can't be beat. But you will need to balance the batteries, not terribly important for 2 cell but if more then yes.

Yes get a hard case if going lipo.
When racing just top up between races and you'll be fine. My son bashes with a 5000mah Yuntong pack and he gets 20 min before we take it out to recharge.
Otherwise you can get nimh as mentioned and no worries with the lipo. I believe you can get a 7cell to fit in there.

And yes I would also recommend a lipo sack. Never can be too safe. It's mandatory at our track.

The issue of balancing, depending upon who you talk to can go both ways, especially with 2 cell. If, and that is a big if, the batteries are of the best quality, balancing is not necessary. This is not coming from me as I do it ever since getting some 3 cells at least every 3-5 packs. A sponsored driver with SMC never balances. Used a few packs over the course of the race season and had them checked at seasons end and found that all the packs were unbalanced but negligible amounts.
But again he's not paying for them. Food for thought.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

http://www.spcracing.com/index.php?productID=81

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7028

There you go dude !!!! That battery is really good.

You ready to rip with battery and charger with built in balancer for 135.00

Now, I suggest you get a lipo but do not run below 6v ever !
Old 12-14-2008, 09:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks a ton goys for the replies!!

Hey dawg! Come on down sometime. Your kids will love the show! Mine do! LOL!

Well....I went yesterday and picked up a Slash. For now I just got a Venom Nimh til I figure out what I want to do with this truck. I Plan to mainly just bash with it but may, on ocassion as time allows, run up to CRCRC in Columbus to race. This smaller battery will also help me with the learning curve of running a 2WD. All Ive ever run is 4WD nitro.

My lovely wife usually gets me a generous gift card to a LHS so I may use that towards a lipo setup soon. All of the info you guys provided really hepled out here.

Thanks again and I will let you know how it goes!
Old 12-14-2008, 09:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

I run Maxamps 2s Lipo, 6000mah packs in my stock Slash's, could'nt be happier!
Old 12-14-2008, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ryanroma
The way LiPos work, they put out the maximum amount of power they can until they reach a certain voltage, after which they would likely swell and even catch fire if not stopped pretty quick.
My understanding is Lipo's swell and go POOF from overcharging, not overdischarging...running them too low just messes them up for future capacity and voltage.

I run the Orion 3200s and 3600s in my Slash, no LVC. I dont bash with it though, I only race 5-6 minutes at a time. For practice, I set a timer for 8 minutes and pull off. Most I have put back into one of my Lipos was 2400 mah after an almost 10 minute run.

Welcome to the world of awesome batteries and the fun Slash class.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

Originally Posted by jk racing
My understanding is Lipo's swell and go POOF from overcharging, not overdischarging...running them too low just messes them up for future capacity and voltage.

I run the Orion 3200s and 3600s in my Slash, no LVC. I dont bash with it though, I only race 5-6 minutes at a time. For practice, I set a timer for 8 minutes and pull off. Most I have put back into one of my Lipos was 2400 mah after an almost 10 minute run.

Welcome to the world of awesome batteries and the fun Slash class.
Exactly! Lipos don't blow up from discharging them! If you over discharge them you could ruin the pack, but it won't go postal on you unless you screw up when charging it. I don't run a lipo cut off in my Slash either, with 6000mah I have plenty of run time without worring about over discharging it.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:29 PM
Tech Regular

You can't go wrong with the Hyperion line of chargers. Just like sub-c batteries, not all Lipo's are created equal. Some are race versions, some are low grade. Our SMC Lipo's are very reliable and safe. Orion's are too. Also, generally with a higher C rating comes a higher price. Just be sure to purchase a QUALITY charger, no matter which brand of Lipo you buy!

I haven't had a Lipo blow up or catch fire form overdischarging, but they will puff/swell if overdischarging occurs.

Bryan
Old 12-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Do chargers like the Hyperion have something to protect the cells from overcharging? I just got into lipo and bought the Hyperion e0606i, and the only lipo I have now is a Protek for my radio (helios) but I just bought a Slash and would like to make my first Lipo purchase for it. the whole lipo thing kinda leaves an uneasy feeling knowing I could burn down my house because of some battery, but I guess proper care is key.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

As long as you have a lipo charger have no fear of overcharging. Id go with the hyperion units. Great chargers with built in balancer and you can moniter each cells voltage individually
Old 12-15-2008, 03:11 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)
Default do you people really know whatyour talking about?

Many so called lipo chargers do not have safeguards to prevent over charging lipos.
MRC worst battery charger made DANGEROUS
Many indi or integy chargers do not also
ICE charger will never give your lipos a 100% charge

I personally like the X-charger for all my batteries it will ballance discharge fast charge and storage charge all your batteries. I have 3 also own a Hyperion Eo5i you will need a power supply i built 1 from a ATX computer power supply cost me $10 with the parts.

Batteries Lipos are a very dangerous battery period no matter what charger you use .ie a simple stuck brush on your titan 12t will turn your slash into a flash of smoke and fire when your lipo selfdestructs. if you discharge a lipo below 3.1 volt a cell it can and will lose 25% or more of its capacity.ie 2000 mah will now be 1500 mah.
I would go with a A123 battery way more safer just not that accepted in our hobby yet..also know as a life battery common in Dewalt power packs
I know peeps will whine say Iam full of it I am not you can take what I say to the Bank. Prove me wrong. do the research heck watch the pit area listen to guys who messed up.lipos are a light bomb waiting to hurt you or someone near your battery.
Your slashs xl5 esc has a lipo setting on it in the slash FYI low voltage cutoff built in..
Old 12-15-2008, 08:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tntpoof
Your slashs xl5 esc has a lipo setting on it in the slash FYI low voltage cutoff built in..
Where did you get this info?

And are there any a123 batteries with a decent mah rating?
Old 12-15-2008, 08:55 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by huskerdually
Where did you get this info?

And are there any a123 batteries with a decent mah rating?

95% of his post is wrong, including the idea that the xl5 has a lipo feature.

I run lipos on my Slash and it really wakes the truck up. I can get 20 minutes on a 5000 mah before the voltage gets into the mid 7's. So I just run each pack no more than 15 minutes and have never had an issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.