Like Tree86Likes

Hpi Pro 4

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 01:00 PM
Tech Elite

tony I didnt get one!
Old 06-16-2004, 02:29 PM
Tech Adept

Anybody noticed that the pro4 is lacking forward traction? it handles great, but im always getting beaten off the line
Mercury Racer
Make sure your diffs are tight enough because if they are slipping you car will be slow off hte line
Old 06-16-2004, 02:32 PM
Tech Master

Default PARTS ARE IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My local shop got my arms and hubs in today that have been on backorder so I would say that if I can get parts in BF Egypt then they will be available everywhere!!! Now there are no excuses to get a great car and have fun racing.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Re: tc3 vs. pro4

I have the same problem. The Pro 4 seems to lack some steering compared to the TC3 and Yokomo that I had before. My setup is very much based on the stock setup as per the manual.

Can it be that the rear toe is too much? (3 degree) Anybody has the same problem with lack of steering here?

Originally posted by punkboy
im still new w/ my pro 4. i would like to get alot more steering in it, and i have 2 find a good rollout 4 my track. i had a tc3, and it was perdy good, but it too needed steering on that track. my lap times are about the same with both cars now, and i know what needs to be fixed on the pro 4. i think it was a little harder with the tc3 cuz it wasnt "straight". the pro 4 seems to be a little straighter to me, dont know why, or how, it just does. that is the same with all the 4's i have driven and seen. infact, sport let me run his, and he's why i bought the dang car...i really hate that guy. j/p

me personally, i would go with the hpi, especially after they have parts, and tuning options out for it.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

what springs and oil wt are recomended to start on foam-carpet setup?

preferebly HPI springs...

thanks
Old 06-16-2004, 06:57 PM
Tech Champion

hey, ive run my pro 4 2 race days now, and when i 1st started with a 19t, it was okay...then it started to feel tweaked, still with 19t. checked the tweak, and it was a little off, so i corrected it, and the car felt a little bit better. i took the car home after day 1, and rebuilt it, making sure the chassis was straight, and i had no tweak. when i raced it again, it was all over the place only on left turns...so i checked the chassis, and tweak again...it was straight...the car was still horrible tho. i thought maybe it was a weight issue, so i added about 2 ounces of weight to the right side of the car. i think it helped a little bit, but the car is still horribly lose coming out of left turns.

I think what started the off balance of the car was a hit that i took in practice on day one. it was brutal enough to take a chunk out of the graphite on the battery braces. i am about to check for any bent parts, and maybe change the arms, but what i am wondering, is if anyone had any ideas on if it was the hit that i took, or if i should keep looking at the weight issue...

thanks for any, and all help
Old 06-16-2004, 07:00 PM
Tech Champion

tslim, what tires are you running on your car? i had dbl purp fronts, and purp rears. i changed to plaid all the way around, and the car felt a little better
Old 06-16-2004, 08:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by Pit-racer
I will be getting a Pro4 soon. What are the parts that are a must have for asphalt racing and also some carpet.
Anyone?
Old 06-16-2004, 08:30 PM
Tech Addict

the right tires
Old 06-16-2004, 09:49 PM
Tech Champion

Default Re: Re: tc3 vs. pro4

Originally posted by tslim
I have the same problem. The Pro 4 seems to lack some steering compared to the TC3 and Yokomo that I had before. My setup is very much based on the stock setup as per the manual.

Can it be that the rear toe is too much? (3 degree) Anybody has the same problem with lack of steering here?
nope... I think the Pro4 has more steeing than the TC3 or SD...both of which I formerly owned.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:52 PM
Tech Champion

Default HEATSINK MOTOR MOUNT

just got mine installed today...installing the motor is no problem....but if you have larger electronics you might... right now I have the Fut S9450 servo, Fut HRS receiver, and Keyence Extreme Zero. and that is no tiny speedo....

The only problem I have is tightening the pinion screw. You will almost need a ball hex driver to secure the set screw. ..

otherwise it looks great and should improve motor cooling...
Old 06-16-2004, 10:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: HEATSINK MOTOR MOUNT

Originally posted by rc-zombies
just got mine installed today...installing the motor is no problem....but if you have larger electronics you might... right now I have the Fut S9450 servo, Fut HRS receiver, and Keyence Extreme Zero. and that is no tiny speedo....

The only problem I have is tightening the pinion screw. You will almost need a ball hex driver to secure the set screw. ..

otherwise it looks great and should improve motor cooling...
An alternative is the Square heatsink motor mount, which is basically a finned version of the HPI one without the closed end and is probably lighter.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:43 PM
Tech Addict

Hello tslim,

For more steering I would do the following:
#1 Less Castor, I went from 4deg to 2deg and the laptimes was faster
#2 Less rear toe inn will make a difference for sure, less turn inn, but more on exit.
#3 Stiffer rear springs! If you use the stock Silver ones then go to the stock gold ones in the back, way more steering and cornerspeed!!

punkboy,

Use more travel in the left rear tire! If you use 5mm on the dropp gauge, then go to 4mm on the left rear tire. That should cure your problem!

Regards,
Eirik Andreassen
Old 06-16-2004, 11:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Rear Differential Slipping

I got tired with my slipping diffs. i changed the diff bolt to TC3 (6575) adn use TC3 spring (6582). So far so good, no sign of slip after 3 long runs. Also I changed my front one way diffs to 2 way stock. The car handles a lot better in the corners .
Old 06-16-2004, 11:37 PM
Tech Addict

Default Re: HEATSINK MOTOR MOUNT

Originally posted by rc-zombies
You have to position the motor so that the slot where the pinion screws onto is facing one of the slots of the motor mount. In other words, you can tighten it easily if you put the driver in one of the slots and line up the grub screw with that.

If you have understeer theres a couple of things you can do:

If on smooth surface lower the suspension mounts right down so they are against the chassis with no spacers (note: this changes the droop so you'll have to change that too)

Run with rear sway bar and no front sway bar.

Lay down the front shocks

Stand up the rear shocks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.