Wiki Posts
Search

Best Starter Racing Car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 06:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Best Starter Racing Car?

Hello all , im New to these forums and new to RC Racing , i hear its all on wieght and size and that depends what class you go in to ? is this is correct then what would you all suggest a Start / Amutar Should Take on ? My Friend Tom Biggs , Got the chance to race for England and go to Itaily , he has done it once before in Portaulgal , ... Also what Amount of money would i be looking at to get pit Equment aswell ?

For my Starter Car i was thinking somthing like

"TAMIYA 1/10 RC TB-02 "
"READY TO ASSEMBLE ELECTRIC POWERED CHASSIS KIT
4WD TB-02 chassis (TB Evolution III gearbox and TA04 suspension system combined with perfectly balanced bathtub frame).
Body shape and design accurately depicts the unique aerodynamic design of the 350z.
Features all-new specially designed wheels and urethane bumper.
Loads of option parts available separately
"

This is just from looking on ebay , My Dad just bought a 350z one and he has a racing tuned motor init , and hes getting a metal drive shaft ,

This is the acualt shell and car i want

"Tamiya 1/10th R/C 4WD TB-02 CHASSIS
XANAVI NISMO GT-R R34
High Performance Racing Car"

" Ready to assemble Radio Control Model Kit
Front & Rear Ball Differential
C.V.A. Super Mini Shock Unit
Full Ball Bearing
Turnbuckle Shaft
High Torque Servo Saver
Motor Heat Sink
Spur Gear Cover
Bathtub Frame
Clear Bodyshell
Medium-Narrow Racing Slick Tire
Racing Hub Carrier
Double Wishbone Suspension
Urethane Bumper
Require 7.2 Battery and R/C System (NOT included)
Chassis Length: 379mm
Chassis Width: 185mm
Wheelbase: 259mm
English instruction included "

it dose say "Require 7.2 Battery and R/C System (NOT included) " how mutch would this cost ?

How mutch would a grand total for a year would you think it would cost?
For Tires , Shells cause im bound to crash ,...

OK thanks for reading ...
Old 09-16-2007, 06:34 AM
Tech Adept

This is the color of the Skyline

And also the other shell / one i can get

For The Skyline its £88.99 , Thats with Post + packaging
Attached Thumbnails Best Starter Racing Car?-24271.jpg   Best Starter Racing Car?-xanavi_nismo_gt-r02.jpg   Best Starter Racing Car?-20ad_1_b.jpg   Best Starter Racing Car?-1b9c_1_b.jpg  
Old 09-16-2007, 06:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

There's a lot of good cars out there, so I guess it all depends on your preference, your budget, and what you will be using it for.

You should first check around your local hobby shop ("LHS") and see what they carry. Breaking your car and then waiting a week for a part to be shipped to you from Hong Kong is NO FUN! If your LHS stocks the parts, then its just a trip to the store.

Now, if you intend to race, you may want to check out the local races and see what everyone is running. They will be able to help you in the future with any problems if you are running the same car.

If you are drifting, you should consider the new TB-02 drift spec car, as it has some hop-ups that you would probably buy anyways (drift tires, aluminum shaft, TRF shocks). If you are road racing and looking specifically at TCS racing, then I would go with a TA-05, as it performs beter and is easier to drive.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:49 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RandomFellow
There's a lot of good cars out there, so I guess it all depends on your preference, your budget, and what you will be using it for.

You should first check around your local hobby shop ("LHS") and see what they carry. Breaking your car and then waiting a week for a part to be shipped to you from Hong Kong is NO FUN! If your LHS stocks the parts, then its just a trip to the store.

Now, if you intend to race, you may want to check out the local races and see what everyone is running. They will be able to help you in the future with any problems if you are running the same car.

If you are drifting, you should consider the new TB-02 drift spec car, as it has some hop-ups that you would probably buy anyways (drift tires, aluminum shaft, TRF shocks). If you are road racing and looking specifically at TCS racing, then I would go with a TA-05, as it performs beter and is easier to drive.

well i was going to intende to do the Indoor session then build another car for the outdoor .. But i have never been and im going on tuesdays so should i take a note book ? ..

Also what do you think about my choise althought iv never raced ? Are they good bad or ..

also lets say i get the Skyline or have a buget of like £400 , or say i start with £400 then buy the car leaving me with around £320 or so .. i probaly wonte have that mutch but .. i nkow racings all about winning but if i enter a race should i hang back see how the like best 3 are racing and then do another race??? ...

and is there a site where i can see where my nearest model shop is because i have no clue .. Probaly Bath but im not sure.

And Dose anyone live in Wiltshire ? Because if they do maybe you can help with local modle shops ..

Last edited by Elite-Driver; 09-16-2007 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Forgot to add some stuff
Old 09-16-2007, 07:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you're planning on racing a car, you could probably find a better car than the TB02.

If you're on a tight budget you could try something like an XXX-S RTR or TC4 RTR, maybe even a Cyclone S RTR if your budget will stretch that far. If you look on ebay (and make sure you tick the Location: worldwide box) you should find the above cars for around £120-£150.

Here some links:

XXX-S - LINK

TC4 - LINK

Cyclone S - LINK

If you can afford the Cyclone it's probably the best option. It also includes a battery but you would need more than one to race with. Ideally you'd have at least 3. You can get them cheaply on ebay (£15ish).
Old 09-16-2007, 07:05 AM
Tech Elite

Take a look at the TA05 chassis it is newer and upgrades like a carbon chassis are easier to get. Also the price is not very resonable.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:08 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by daveaustin5
If you're planning on racing a car, you could probably find a better car than the TB02.

If you're on a tight budget you could try something like an XXX-S RTR or TC4 RTR, maybe even a Cyclone S RTR if your budget will stretch that far. If you look on ebay (and make sure you tick the Location: worldwide box) you should find the above cars for around £120-£150.

Here some links:

XXX-S - LINK

TC4 - LINK

Cyclone S - LINK

If you can afford the Cyclone it's probably the best option. It also includes a battery but you would need more than one to race with. Ideally you'd have at least 3. You can get them cheaply on ebay (£15ish).
OK thanks , its not that i didnt look for worldwide , its that i didnt intende to spend 100-150£ on a car but ill see how mutch i like it and i guess money isnt everything .. is there any others sites youd suggest for rc cars?

Originally Posted by MrUnlimited
Take a look at the TA05 chassis it is newer and upgrades like a carbon chassis are easier to get. Also the price is not very resonable.
ok thanks bud will have a look
Old 09-16-2007, 07:08 AM
Tech Regular

You can find a list of the bigger UK model shops here: http://www.rcracer.com/racer_uk/m_shops.htm
Old 09-16-2007, 07:16 AM
Tech Adept

iV loked up some more on google :S , and as you said toruing cars i found another site ..

This car here is £99.99 and heres the spec's

"
Key Features

Complete RTR
Powerful 370-size motor
Shaft-driven 4WD system with front and rear differentials
Sportwerks 2-channel radio system
Electronic speed control, receiver and servo installed
Lightweight, stable fiberglass chassis
Full ball bearings
Oil-filled coil-over shocks
Pre-glued and mounted rubber tires
Pre-painted Officially Licensed Mazda Body

1/14 Recoil 4wd RTR Touring Car Specs
Type: 4wd Electric Touring Car
Scale: 1/14
Length: 11.5" (292mm)
Width: 5.25" (133mm)
Wheelbase: 7.375" (187mm)
Weight: 23.5 oz
Chassis: 2mm Fiberglass
Suspension: Independent
Drive Train: Shaft drive with gear diffs and adjustable slipper
Tire Type: Rubber
Motor or Engine: E-370
Speed Control: Fwd, Reverse
Radio: 2 Channel AM 27mHz
Servos: S-25
Batteries: 7.2V 1100mAh NiMH
Speed: 25mph
Kit/RTR: RTR
Body: Mazda MX6 Pre-painted
Ball Bearings: Complete
"

What sort of class would this car be in and would it be fast enought?

heres another one for £109

link = http://www.storacingproducts.com/cgi..._987SCHUMACHER

Can you give me english sites / GBP sites because it reali boring going to a covertision site ..

OK thanks .. once again

... Sam ..
Old 09-16-2007, 07:20 AM
Tech Adept

Hmm ive Just relised that were going in to the Dogs Boll@x of rc cars dont forget im jsut starting out ..
Old 09-16-2007, 07:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The problem with the A-Tech car is going to be parts availability. The problem with the Recoil is that it isn't a standard 1/10th scale that your racing classes are going to be.

If you don't care about TCS racing, a GREAT starting racer is the Xray T2R. All you need to upgrade it to full-on racing status is to change the FRP pieces over to carbon fiber. So as you grow in your racing, its takes a minimal amount to get to a highly-competitive club racer. In the meantime, you'll have an already great chassis that is easy to drive.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:23 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Elite-Driver
OK thanks , its not that i didnt look for worldwide , its that i didnt intende to spend 100-150£ on a car but ill see how mutch i like it and i guess money isnt everything .. is there any others sites youd suggest for rc cars?
The problem is that this is a very expensive hobby. Have you had a play with anyone elses car before you commit to buying one? If you're really sure it's something you want to get into you would be better off buying a Cyclone S or a TC4. If you're not sure then maybe the TB02 would be better. The problem with buying the TB02 is that you would probably outgrow it quite quickly. Whilst it's a decent car, you'd probably want something more competitive within a couple of weeks.

The Recoil car that you pointed out is ok but it is a different scale to what most people race. Because of this you wont be able to race it at many places.

The A-tech car is decent. It is similar to a TC4 though not as competitive. You may struggle to get spare parts for it should you break anything on it.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

There are Hongkong based shops who are sipping worldwide.
Here are a few links:
www.rcmart.com
www.rcmarket.com.hk
www.rcmodel.hk (one of my favourite shops)
http://www.stellamodels.net/catalog/default.php

You can also take a look @ www.tamiyaclub.com where you can vintage and new models (TA05 series) on display.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:27 AM
Tech Adept

The problem with the A-Tech car is going to be parts availability. The problem with the Recoil is that it isn't a standard 1/10th scale that your racing classes are going to be.

If you don't care about TCS racing, a GREAT starting racer is the Xray T2R. All you need to upgrade it to full-on racing status is to change the FRP pieces over to carbon fiber. So as you grow in your racing, its takes a minimal amount to get to a highly-competitive club racer. In the meantime, you'll have an already great chassis that is easy to drive.
OK thanks ill see what its goona cost and maybe see ..

Originally Posted by daveaustin5
The problem is that this is a very expensive hobby. Have you had a play with anyone elses car before you commit to buying one? If you're really sure it's something you want to get into you would be better off buying a Cyclone S or a TC4. If you're not sure then maybe the TB02 would be better. The problem with buying the TB02 is that you would probably outgrow it quite quickly. Whilst it's a decent car, you'd probably want something more competitive within a couple of weeks.

The Recoil car that you pointed out is ok but it is a different scale to what most people race. Because of this you wont be able to race it at many places.

The A-tech car is decent. It is similar to a TC4 though not as competitive. You may struggle to get spare parts for it should you break anything on it.
Hmm ok , Seeing as you know alot about R/C Cars , Would you mind "building me one via the web" with like a buget of £250 to begin ? I dont want top spec because i dont want to have to keep buying tires for every lap i do , but i want it decent ..
Old 09-16-2007, 07:28 AM
Tech Regular

Re: the Recoil & A-Tech - You must have beat my post by seconds!!!

I wouldn't recommend a T2R to a begginer on a budget. After he's got electronics it's have cost him £250-£300

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.