FOR THE NEWBIES!!! IF YOU ARE NEW READ THIS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FOR THE NEWBIES!!! IF YOU ARE NEW READ THIS

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 08:14 AM
Tech Regular

years ago when I was a newbee, my learing curve was not so destructive, and the cars a little more twitchy. I learned on a 1/10 pan car. Still the most fun to drive car IMHO. No rookie class back then!! it was stock and mod 1/10 an 1/12th.
I think I peaked out after about a year. then had to learn touring cars with a tamiya ta02 then with an yokomo on 24 mm tires. still twitchy!

I am now a rooky in 1/18th Truggy. can't wait to get to the track!!

wn
Old 11-10-2006, 08:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tony Vega
How do you remember all that?
lol i am anal I started to keep notes after a couple of weeks of racing. Like track times on qualify and mains. If somehting wasnt feeling right, Iwould get peoples advice and write notes with details before I left the track cause I knew when I got home I would forget what to work on. Our local Hobby Town in Omaha keeps lap times of mains on the internet from past races (very cool of them) I just jotted down a hand written note week to week and whenever I get bored I set down and type them into a file... it actually isnt time consuming at all, just a minute or two week to week....CYA
Old 11-10-2006, 08:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cyrrus
Hey I remember those day's. Wait I'm still in those day's. Blink I wish I would remember to do that. I still remember the first time I was in the lead. and We are able to bump up. My leg was shaking so bad. that the other driver came up to me and ask if it was I that was Shaking so bad. Well I still shake but not so bad.
If my leg was not shaking anymore I would quit this bitch (I mean hobby)
Old 11-10-2006, 08:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by cvt01
If my leg was not shaking anymore I would quit this bitch (I mean hobby)
lol I talked to a guy from Colorado at the Midwest Race in Omaha and he said after 17 years of racing his hands still start to shake if he gets the lead in any race, regional race or weekly race..lol he thinks he might have a problem

Paul...... love tap, brain fart,aggressive driving, nervous break down, finger twitch all the same to me man...lol whatever emotion or reflex that hits me at the time
Old 11-12-2006, 10:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Rich, that was an inspiring piece, I am 38 and chomping at the bit to start racing competitively, I have been bashing for over a year, I have a dirt track in the back yard when it's not a corn field, and the road I live on is only lightly traveled, for my on road cars, the neighbors love to watch... anyway I appreciate your post and hope I can experience the friendliness,and helpfulness that you described, in my own venture.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

And props to Todd for being so helpful, there aint too many out there prepared to put the time into helping newbies.
As a Newbie I can say a suprising amount of people do spend some time helping out. (At SoCal anyway). I have had nothing but nice experiences talking with, and asking for tips and info from the more experienced racers.

BTW: I do recognize the difference between someone hanging out at the track and someone who's preparing for the main. You know...

Thanks to all,
John G
Old 11-16-2006, 10:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

updated 1st post for 11/15 RAN 22 laps!!!!!
Old 11-17-2006, 06:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by omaharich
11/15/06 Wed Race. New layout tonight. Just when I get comfortable…lol… New track is slick. Add some more droop to front and car is loose but fast. I can feather it through turns and stick pretty well as long as I don’t over run turns.. Qualified 3rd of 5 with 21 laps. RAN 22 LAPS at 5:13 (High run for me) Todd won with 22 laps 5:07.
Preparing for Enduro race on Dec 3. Bought new rotor for my 4.5 Brushless and will set up car for foams for next week. Gonna have to set up a lot different by adding both same week. (stiffen all springs, leave shock oil 40/50, tooth up by 2 (due to sintered rotor))

Great Job Rich --- You were definately Fast...! BTW Everyone... Rich has a new nickname at the track... Rich "TRACK" Record...!

Hey Rich you forgot to mention I won.... Ist time out with a brand new car (415msx/mre)... **SNAP** ouch! (That was my arm breaking from patting myself on the back!)

-and Rich.... R/C terminology 101: It's "Gear Up" / not "Tooth Up"/ ...But that's cool.... I knew what you meant....you're still learning!

Keep it up bud... I'm proud of ya!
Old 11-18-2006, 06:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

You were quick as hell outa the box... good job!!! lol.... tooth up, gear up, tomotoe, tomoto

Thanks a ton Todd!!!
Old 11-18-2006, 08:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by omaharich
You were quick as hell outa the box... good job!!! lol.... tooth up, gear up, tomotoe, tomoto

Thanks a ton Todd!!!

You mean TOMATO????
Old 11-18-2006, 09:44 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Great story Rich, thank you for sharing it with us. It makes me wish I would have kept a similar log during my journey. This hobby needs more guys like you and Todd. Racing is hard, and it takes a long time to get competitive. It helps tremendously to have someone helping out, but it also takes a special kind of person to overcome the frustration brought on my the early days of racing.

Think about throwing some foams on those cars for a weekend and joining us up in KC for the Grand Nationals. We've got a fast, fun 4300 class up here, and are hoping to get some people from around the region.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:47 AM
Tech Master

Glad to see other peoples leg shakes. I cant help it even at my local if im leading. lol
Old 11-18-2006, 10:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've learned that watching real race cars does help me with my racing line. Seeing where they place the cars in the turns helps me do the same. I find that I'm getting better at the turns more and more. I managed to make it to the bottom of the B main at my local races and there are some very fast guys in the B. Of course I was polite and moved out of the way when they were lapping me.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:08 PM
Tech Initiate

HI ALL
i started a few months ago at the age of 48 when my lad packed up it was my gear. so here i am wasting top cells top car charges discharges set up gear and quite a bit of set up nohow crashing round the track.i have improved abit but not a lot am better at working on cars than driving them but its good fun and keeps the shops in money.
i cant blink niether and my hands sweat.

see ya
Old 11-20-2006, 07:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Great story Rich, thank you for sharing it with us. It makes me wish I would have kept a similar log during my journey. This hobby needs more guys like you and Todd. Racing is hard, and it takes a long time to get competitive. It helps tremendously to have someone helping out, but it also takes a special kind of person to overcome the frustration brought on my the early days of racing.

Think about throwing some foams on those cars for a weekend and joining us up in KC for the Grand Nationals. We've got a fast, fun 4300 class up here, and are hoping to get some people from around the region.
Thanks alot!!! I am trying to set it up for that weekend in December...I am trying to move schedules around and find a sober person to entertain my wife at the Chiefs game. We have season tickets and will be down there anyhow for that weekend...So I should find out in a couple of days to see if its gonna work...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.