Wiki Posts
Search

2007-2008 ROAR Presidency

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 08:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default 2007-2008 ROAR Presidency

If interested, please review my goals for ROAR under the RCTECH racing forum.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=128265
Old 09-05-2006, 08:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

For those of you who dont know Carl, he's a great standup guy with good intentions for running ROAR. Make your vote count!

Vote for Carl in 07-08

Good Luck Carl!
Old 09-06-2006, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

Hello active ROAR members. I’d like to take this time to introduce myself as a candidate for the 2007-2008 ROAR Presidency.

My name is Carl Giordano and I’ve been involved with competitive racing since 1989, worked for Bruckner Hobbies, NY while in school and currently the ROAR Region 2 director. I currently work in New York City for a Company called CIT Business Capital, which provide working capital lines of credit for middle market to fortune 500 companies. I’ve been fortunate over the years to have traveled extensively throughout the US as a racer, mechanic and spectator of all types of RC venues. My current passion is 1/8th Fuel On-Road and 1/10th Electric Sedan. I feel that my experiences as a racing enthusiast and as a corporate professional will enable me to build a team environment at ROAR which will allow us to develop and realize the goals which I believe will benefit ROAR as an institution and its membership. Therefore, I’m asking for your confidence and vote as President for the 2007-2008 years.

The foundation of my campaign and focus of the administration will be two fold: (i) provide “value” to ROAR members and (ii) redirect ROAR’s focus to emphasize the concept of “grass roots racing” throughout the US.

So what does this all mean? ROAR was founded by a group of racing enthusiasts who like all of us at one time gathered in a parking lot with a bunch of friends and enjoyed the spirit of competitive racing and having fun. ROAR guidelines were drafted to provide a level playing for all those involved in competitive RC racing and provide a standard for all competitors to measure each by. At the time the founders started ROAR; competitive racing was limited by the number of racing classes. Over the years, ROAR has had to adjust to and develop new guidelines to maintain a level playing field for emerging technologies and new forms of racing. I believe ROAR has done a good job in accomplishing this and everyone involved deserves our thanks, regards of the level of scrutiny which ROAR comes under from time to time. Therefore, I’m not proposing a change to the ROAR mission statement or the manner in which it establishes the guidelines. What I’m proposing is a program which I believe will strengthen ROAR’s image for “all” its members, starting at the grass roots level.

In my opinion, to improve ROAR’s image we need to strengthen its weaknesses, which are:
> Inability to attract new members
> Provides little value to the membership
> Has limited visibility at the grassroots level of racing

So let’s start. Within the 1st year (2007) we will develop a program which provides:

“Value Plan”: Goal is to minimize the cost of ROAR memberships for ROAR members.
• To start, ROAR retailers are established…they volunteer and ROAR has “NO” influence over their business.
• Similar to ROAR affiliated tracks, ROAR retailers will pay ROAR an equivalent fee to have their contact info listed on the ROAR website.
• The retailers will receive an e-mail listing of all valid ROAR members each month.
• The retailers will advertise on their own website or in store, what items “they” chose to provide a discount to valid ROAR members
• ROAR will have “NO” part in deciding the discount levels…etc…ROAR will only list on its website those retailers who are ROAR affiliates.
Benefits:
• Cost savings to ROAR members who use the “value plan” and purchase discounted items from ROAR retailers. Offsets the cost of their ROAR membership.
• Incentive to recreational racers who would normally have no need to join ROAR.
• Every 100 new members to ROAR or a 2% increase in annual membership = $3,000 of new fee income which can be used to promote grassroots racing or other ROAR events.
• Additional income from ROAR retailers.
• ROAR retailers gains access to 5,000+ ROAR members…creates an opportunity to increase sales on discounted and non-discounted items.
Execution Strategy: (within first 6-months of 2007)
• All membership renewals will have an option to provide their e-mail address.
• ROAR will make the “retailer affiliation” an option to every hobby shop nationwide…at a fee to be determined
• E-mail the membership of this initiative and ask their LHS to get involved.
• Update the ROAR website to include a list of the ROAR retailers.

During the 2nd year (2008)

“Grass Roots Racing Plan”: Goal, improve the racing participation at Regional Championship
• Require participation at the regional level to qualify for participation in the following year national events.
• Use ROAR funds saved by no longer mailing Rev-Up articles and additional income generated from the “value plan” to partially offset the expense to regional directors when they attend regional events.
• Regional Champions will have either their annual ROAR membership or National Race Fees waived / paid by ROAR. Format to be determined.
• More than “one” regional director for each region.
Benefits:
• Enhances the weighting meaning of the regional events
• Higher attendance at regional events thereby promoting “grassroots racing”
• Increase ROAR presence at regional events by offsetting regional director’s expenses while attending regional events.
• ROAR proceeds are allocated towards the higher percentage of racers instead of a select few.
Execution Strategy:
• Increase the number of regional directors at each region.
• Regional directors will be given an annual budget for each region…amount to be determined. The budget will be used to offset travel cost while attending regional events and used to promote the events themselves.
• Regional directors will be required to monitor results for regional championship and post to ROAR website. Regional participants then qualify for the following year regional.

There are approximately 5,000 active ROAR members, many of whom feel that their membership means very little. I hope that the goals which I’ve outlined will change their perception of ROAR. As the Region 2 director, my ability to make a difference is limited…if elected as ROAR President, we have a chance.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:02 PM
Tech Adept

Good, we don't need to see any character from the Sesame Street LOL!
Old 09-06-2006, 04:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

A very well thought out proposal. I really like the ROAR Retailer idea.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Excellent ideas with the ROAR Retailer idea. Sounds like what a few local clubs do with their local hobby shops already, but taken to the next level.

Is there a privacy policy in place already? The membership applications may have to include a brief privacy policy on the back before you start giving members' information away. While I know lists are at every major ROAR race, they're not used for marketing purposes. It's not as simple as an opt-out or "put your email address here" these days. That is definitely something for a (cough) lawyer to look at, sadly.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:23 AM
Tech Elite

be sure to visit the presidency site under the racing forum to read about what other plans I have for ROAR...

you can click on the URL link within my signature below...thanks for the support.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Finally, someone with new and fresh ideas. Good luck to you Carl!

-E
Old 09-07-2006, 08:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Carl,

I have been one to scrutinize ROAR from time to time, even IFMAR as of late. But I will say this, the R/C industry seems to be very forgiving, so this means ROAR still has a chance, even after all the "controversy".

I have said in the past that ROAR needs to fold and something new needs to sprout. I support my theory, but will re-evaluate my views on this topic if you can turn it around. So while I will criticize you views until I see them in positive action, I will also be the first to support you when/if they turn racing around and assist in its growth.

I believe in change. Good Luck!

MF
Old 09-07-2006, 11:22 PM
Tech Addict

Good start Carl and I agree with Matt that the industry is forgiving. I have seen this business change a lot over 30 years and many things come and go but no matter how screwed up ROAR has been at times, it's still here. That means it's still repairable. Cam makes a good point too and the bottom line is ROAR is a non-profit organization so make sure everything you want to do is legit within the law.

The one thing that caught my eye was about Regional requirements for National events. It sounds great on paper and we have all talked about it before ad nauseum but there are issues in doing so. The main one is you will really start reducing the car count if you make this a requirement and we have been seeing reductions of late as things currently stand. I am not sure how this can be done right. My gut instinct is that the combination of an ill economy, soaring inflation, and the cost of racing at a higher level has become high enough to make many people choose only 1 big event per year. Forcing this issue may make these races lean more towards those with factory support and that IMO would hurt the sport. When was the last time you got a calculator and added up the cost of all your 1/8 scale motors (inc. paperweights)? You start to get the idea, eh?

Now that I started rambling there is one thing that I would like to see from ROAR. Make a true distinction between SPORT and HOBBY. Many of the previous ROAR discussions over the years start off by talking about cost control and how this and that relate to the "hobby". Since you are a fellow 1/8 scale racer and 1/10 electric racer you have seen first hand that cost control is nonsense and we should trat R/C racing as what it has become... a sport. True it's somewhat of a semantic distinction but it would help potential new members to understand any value proposition.

BTW Matt, we still have a tenative tee time... you pick a place and time and give me a holler!
Old 09-08-2006, 06:00 AM
Tech Master

Carl:
First, what is your view on non-US/Canadian racers competing in ROAR national events (IFMAR World Championship qualifying event? Seems some compete in FEMCA, EFRA, and FAMAR World qualifying events also. This does not seem right.

Next, at the 2006 Paved Oval nationals the rules were bent to let a non-approved body be used. The manufacturer said he forgot to submit this body for re-approval. This does not seem fair to the other body manufacturers who were legal. See thread: http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs/showthr...5&page=2&pp=15 , post #18

Also, the ROAR rulebook has some flaws pertaining to oval racing. What is your opinion on this? See threads: www.hobbytalk.com/bbs/showthread.php?=t=143993 and www.hobbytalk.com/bbs/showthread.php?=t=143993

Finally, I DO NOT want any information that has been provided to ROAR from me to be given/sold to anyone!!!!
Old 09-11-2006, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wagnerov
Excellent ideas with the ROAR Retailer idea. Sounds like what a few local clubs do with their local hobby shops already, but taken to the next level.

Is there a privacy policy in place already? The membership applications may have to include a brief privacy policy on the back before you start giving members' information away. While I know lists are at every major ROAR race, they're not used for marketing purposes. It's not as simple as an opt-out or "put your email address here" these days. That is definitely something for a (cough) lawyer to look at, sadly.
Sorry to have missed this link...I've been posting a ton of responses under the "Racing Form"...same thread title..please check it out...

I have no plans to sell or distribute members information under the ROAR retailer program...under the proposal, retailers will receive a list of valid ROAR member names and their ROAR numbers...that is all....NO e-mails / home addresses / phone numbers will be made available.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Matt Francis
Carl,

I have been one to scrutinize ROAR from time to time, even IFMAR as of late. But I will say this, the R/C industry seems to be very forgiving, so this means ROAR still has a chance, even after all the "controversy".

I have said in the past that ROAR needs to fold and something new needs to sprout. I support my theory, but will re-evaluate my views on this topic if you can turn it around. So while I will criticize you views until I see them in positive action, I will also be the first to support you when/if they turn racing around and assist in its growth.

I believe in change. Good Luck!

MF
To criticize is good...it means there is still life. If you have some time..please review some of my responses under the "Racing Forum"...same thread name....

there I beleive you will see my willingness to work with others who have started something fresh in RC...by this I'm refering to comments I made about the success of RC Pro...I do not know Carlson but it seems he has a similar program which I'm trying to roll-out for ROAR.

I'll come back to this site forum tomorrow and provide more details...
Old 09-11-2006, 08:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Three
Carl:
First, what is your view on non-US/Canadian racers competing in ROAR national events (IFMAR World Championship qualifying event? Seems some compete in FEMCA, EFRA, and FAMAR World qualifying events also. This does not seem right.

Next, at the 2006 Paved Oval nationals the rules were bent to let a non-approved body be used. The manufacturer said he forgot to submit this body for re-approval. This does not seem fair to the other body manufacturers who were legal. See thread: http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs/showthr...5&page=2&pp=15 , post #18

Also, the ROAR rulebook has some flaws pertaining to oval racing. What is your opinion on this? See threads: www.hobbytalk.com/bbs/showthread.php?=t=143993 and www.hobbytalk.com/bbs/showthread.php?=t=143993

Finally, I DO NOT want any information that has been provided to ROAR from me to be given/sold to anyone!!!!
Hello Three...I believe I answered all your concerns under the "Racing Forum"?

lets interact on that site please...thanks
Old 09-11-2006, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fraz
Good start Carl and I agree with Matt that the industry is forgiving. I have seen this business change a lot over 30 years and many things come and go but no matter how screwed up ROAR has been at times, it's still here. That means it's still repairable. Cam makes a good point too and the bottom line is ROAR is a non-profit organization so make sure everything you want to do is legit within the law.

The one thing that caught my eye was about Regional requirements for National events. It sounds great on paper and we have all talked about it before ad nauseum but there are issues in doing so. The main one is you will really start reducing the car count if you make this a requirement and we have been seeing reductions of late as things currently stand. I am not sure how this can be done right. My gut instinct is that the combination of an ill economy, soaring inflation, and the cost of racing at a higher level has become high enough to make many people choose only 1 big event per year. Forcing this issue may make these races lean more towards those with factory support and that IMO would hurt the sport. When was the last time you got a calculator and added up the cost of all your 1/8 scale motors (inc. paperweights)? You start to get the idea, eh?

Now that I started rambling there is one thing that I would like to see from ROAR. Make a true distinction between SPORT and HOBBY. Many of the previous ROAR discussions over the years start off by talking about cost control and how this and that relate to the "hobby". Since you are a fellow 1/8 scale racer and 1/10 electric racer you have seen first hand that cost control is nonsense and we should trat R/C racing as what it has become... a sport. True it's somewhat of a semantic distinction but it would help potential new members to understand any value proposition.

BTW Matt, we still have a tenative tee time... you pick a place and time and give me a holler!
You're spot on IMO why fewer and fewer drivers are attending national events. Racers are becoming more selective as to how they spend their racing budget. Which is why ROAR needs to address how it spends its money. The cost of the RMT IMO is too expense and provides very little value to the membership. I'd rather see part of the funds saved when ROAR eliminated the mailing rev-ups be used to enhance the regional directors program. In short, compensate them for attending regional events.

If you have a moment please review some of my response under the Racing Forum under the same title thread...there you wil find a well thought-out plan and numeous responses to many questions.

Thanks

PS: the cost of racing has gotten out of hand...a while back I licked around a concept of a spec 1/8th on-road class..with the use of a 5-port off-raod engine...

the cost of racing is something ROAR needs to address...what I would like to see and work towards is working with manaufactures to provide Free spec products at national events. Ie: electic sedan 2 free sets of marked tires to all racers...2 sets available to purchase....limited to 4 for the entire weekend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.