Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MTX-2

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 11:11 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by ausracer
hey racer rich the tank is in the centre of the chassis. it just looks to the side because the upper deck doesnt go as far across on the pipe side.
Yeah, it does look like its in the center of the chassis, if your cockeyed. j/k

I believe Mugen did not put a Floating Rear Body Mount on the MTX-3 because it would have not been beneficial. This car will mostly be used with sedan bodies (here in the U.S. anyways), and Floating Rear Body Mounts really only benefit LOLA bodies. I have spoken to some people and they have agreed that a standard body mount is more beneficial than a Floating Body Mount when using sedan bodies. Come to think of it, was there ONE sedan using a Floating Rear Body Mount at the Fuel Nationals in Ohio? No. I am sure Serpent could have easily put a Floating Rear Body Mount on the Impulse using Impact parts, but they probably have tested it and seen no benefits at all. Anyone else have some light they can spread on this?
Old 08-29-2002, 11:42 AM
Tech Addict

Not sure if Serpent did any testing, but you would think so. There is a guy at our track running an Impulse with an Impact floating mount. He swears it makes a difference, but I can't say for sure.

Maybe I'm missing it, but the front arms look the same as the MTX-2. The only thing I see different is that it looks like they just drew the pic with the lower, unused shock hole cut off. I usually dremel them off anyway, so it looks pretty much the same to me.

Last edited by tekrsq; 08-29-2002 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-29-2002, 03:47 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Hammer

Originally posted by stefan
yes, if you have the regular clutch, they'll work and they are cheaper.

If you have the centax, you can use serpent 15/18
Stefan, have you personally tried serpent pinions? I just bought a whole bunch as per your recomendation thinking they would fit the mugen centax but they don't even come close. The thread is totally different and the 2nd gear pinions are too small.
Too bad all I wanted to do was save some cash but I'll be doing the opposite now.

Anyone else have any problems?
Old 08-29-2002, 04:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

As per the pinion gear question goes. The standard clutch you may use the yokomo gears 1st and 2nd gears. They are only $9.00 at my lhs. They range all the way up to a 21 tooth. I ran 18/21 yoko gears at nats. until I switched over to the centax clutch which I used mugens 18/22, but then If you can get your hands on trinity's 21-22-23-24 they work on our centax clutch. Someon with a mugen out at nats was running a 23 or 24 from trinity's gears so I know they fit.Me and a few mugen drivers that went out to nats this year are trying to interchange some gear pulleys from another car to help get some more top end out of this great 175ft car. Anything bigger and the car just seems to sit there.
Old 08-29-2002, 05:52 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by racer rich

Yeah, it does look like its in the center of the chassis, if your cockeyed. j/k

I believe Mugen did not put a Floating Rear Body Mount on the MTX-3 because it would have not been beneficial. This car will mostly be used with sedan bodies (here in the U.S. anyways), and Floating Rear Body Mounts really only benefit LOLA bodies. I have spoken to some people and they have agreed that a standard body mount is more beneficial than a Floating Body Mount when using sedan bodies. Come to think of it, was there ONE sedan using a Floating Rear Body Mount at the Fuel Nationals in Ohio? No. I am sure Serpent could have easily put a Floating Rear Body Mount on the Impulse using Impact parts, but they probably have tested it and seen no benefits at all. Anyone else have some light they can spread on this?
the MTX3 is still a TC platform and i.e. with the body mount on the chassis makes the car looks real on corners. (with actually body roll). the rear floating mount is designed for Lola body and if you get a kit like V1RR GT you will have the options of either using a Lola body with the body shell right on the floating mount (it is designed for it) or put on a body post extension on the floating mount as a TC rear part body is much taller then a Lola body. It is always an advantage to have rear down force right on to the wheels.
Old 08-29-2002, 09:43 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by tekrsq
Not sure if Serpent did any testing, but you would think so. There is a guy at our track running an Impulse with an Impact floating mount. He swears it makes a difference, but I can't say for sure.
Wouldn't that guy go by the name of Mike Henderson?
Old 08-29-2002, 11:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Manticore

.................................................. .................................................. It is always an advantage to have rear down force right on to the wheels.

A That sound so familiar.

Note: not at you Manticore.
Old 08-29-2002, 11:27 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Sydewynder

A That sound so familiar.

Note: not at you Manticore.
I said many times here, that's why !
Old 08-30-2002, 12:14 AM
Tech Elite

I said many times here, that's why !

No think back. V1R thread on HPI.
Old 08-30-2002, 02:21 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Sydewynder

No think back. V1R thread on HPI.
Now you really don't want to start that off AGAIN!!!!!
Old 08-30-2002, 02:34 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by InitialD

Wouldn't that guy go by the name of Mike Henderson?
LOL, You're close..The last name isn't Henderson, but I'm pretty sure you know who I'm talking about.
Old 08-30-2002, 04:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

some observation on the new car according to the computer graphic:-

- almost identical front end except front bulk head.
- use MTX2 arms (6 pcs) and knuckles
- newly design shocks (those shocks have been available at our shops here)
- longer lever point rear sway bar. different thickness sway bar would be available?
- rear shock tower has been seperated from body tower. I think the rear floating mount could be available as an option or under a seperate kit version?
- steering servo has laid down and receiver pack recessed into the main chassis. however the design of fuel tank is in doubt to keep the car in low CG when it is full?
- looks like the upper deck would be woven graphite one as the MRX-3?
- ???

anyway, this is one sweet car!
Moon is correct, front upper and lower arms are the same, rear arms are the same.

My list of hopeful's
Centax looks the same, so hopefully Mugen make a few more pinions. Gearbox spurs are totally different so hopefully we will see a few more options. Not sure about the engine mount position, but hopefully the problem of meshing tall gears has been resolved. The new rear hubs look like they easily allow 30mm's to fit which is awesome.

This looks like my dream car, all the changes look good. One thing that I would of liked to see is a side brace around the manifold (like the Impluse pro) to stiffen up the chassis alittle. Just looking at the wide gap in the centre of the chassis and the upper deck, it looks like it could flex. - But hey, the car looks awesome.

One final thing that no one has touched on is what thickness chassis do you think it will be? Looking at the pictures, this car should be lighter then the MTX-2. Lets hope that it includes the alloy wheel hubs (which are not shown the pictures)

I think the selling value of the MTX-2 has just dropped.
Old 08-30-2002, 04:38 AM
Tech Addict

Going by those pictures, if you look very carefully, it seems most of the plastics are atleast slightly different.

The front bulkheads have an extra tab to hold the a-arm pins, where the old shock tower used to.

The bottom front a-arms have a different shape and as mentioned no lugs to allow swapping sides.

Rear suspention arms are a completely different shape and you would expect maybe shorter.

Rest of rear, bulkheads etc are obviously completely different.

Theres only a few things carried over - maybe front top suspension arms and uprights, bumper and body posts, one-way and centax.

Question is what will be transferable to the Mtx-2 if anything ??

Time to go sick and use up some of all these Mtx-2 spares I got

Last edited by muugen; 08-30-2002 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-30-2002, 04:49 AM
Tech Addict

Correction - the front top suspension arms are actually a different shape aswell

So kinda makes me think the uprights are probly new aswell ( they used to rub on the tires sometimes )
Old 08-30-2002, 04:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally posted by muugen
Going by those pictures, if you look very carefully, it seems most of the plastics are atleast slightly different.

The front bulkheads have an extra tab to hold the a-arm pins, where the old shock tower used to.

The bottom front a-arms have a different shape and as mentioned no lugs to allow swapping sides.

Rear suspention arms are a completely different shape and you would expect maybe shorter.

Rest of rear, bulkheads etc are obviously completely different.

Theres only a few things carried over - maybe front top suspension arms and uprights, bumper and body posts, one-way and centax.

Question is what will be transferable to the Mtx-2 if anything ??

Time to sick a use up some of all these Mtx-2 spares I got
The arms look the same to me, must be my eyesight.

My Pet hate - notice where the pipe mounts to the car...... It mounts to the upper deck. I've seen a V-One-S car (that have the same mounting style) damage an upper deck on a side hit because the pipe is pushed it. If the upper deck is graphite (which looks like its is) then one good hit and it will possible snap. Im not sure why they didn't leave it and mount it to the chassis, the room is there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.