Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 10:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Tryhard,

Nevermind, I read the set-up sheet. It indicated the wheel base setting.

Old 09-28-2004, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Any thoughts on the 415 as a carpet/foam tire car?

Blake
Old 09-28-2004, 11:30 AM
Tech Addict

I will be trying carpet with the car next week. I assume it will take me a few race days to dial in the car.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:35 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by TryHard
well I'll be running mine at the winter series anyway, had been racing up there at don valley pretty regularly before I moved back to uni.

Parts supply in the uk.... simply put, it's a joke. There is pretty much no support over here, I've mainly been getting my parts from speedtechrc (in the US), or rainbow ten (in Japan). To be honest there as quick as any uk shop, plus a bit cheaper.
Hopefully it won't put you off the 415 though, it is an awesome car.
When I was looking to buy a new one, it ended up a toss up betweent he Xray FK and the 415. I went for the 415, mainly to be different, as there are so many X-rays around now (especially oop north). However it is just as good as the Xray, if not faster, and I was able to try this the other day, as I tested an Mi2, Xray Fk, and my 415 back to back. All were as quick as each other, the mi2 a little more reluctant to turn in initally (but that might be because it was running a diff and not 1-way), but the between the FK and 415, there was nothing to choose.

Spare parts, hmm. The only bits i've broken in 3 months are one front wishbone and one alu ball joint (and some bent hinge-pins ans suspension blocks, but I know the cause of that, and it was user error, not a part breakage). So it's tough. Just get the usual (spare arms, hub carriers etc).

Hop-ups, I would recomend getting hold of a lwt arm set (it deffiently feels quicker in my eyes), but I think they are very difficult to get hold of atm.
Apart from that, I would deffiently get the locked centre pulley and a spool (both avaliable from speedtech) as the grip at DV can be pretty low to start with. You might want to look into trying to make a diff (see earlier in this thread), but I can't comment on it as I haven't (yet) bothered.

Hope it helps, and cya at the winter series.

Ed
thanks Try hard,
Just wondering who the Tamiya Distributor is in the UK? as i work for a Model Shop now and i assume its still The Hobby Company who distributes them? If so do you know of any contact details. Maybe i will be able to make the parts support a little better

Hopefully i will see you, and beat you at the winter series

thanks
Old 09-28-2004, 03:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
Any thoughts on the 415 as a carpet/foam tire car?

Blake
i will be trying it real soon the evo3 was great the 415 should be better.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Blake the car is good but not on the pace yet for Foam. I am working on another conversion for the front of the car using the old C-hub and knuckle with the long Arm suspension. I should be able to get some track time this coming weekend.

I'll post more as I get some results
Old 09-28-2004, 04:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by Sleighty
thanks Try hard,
Just wondering who the Tamiya Distributor is in the UK? as i work for a Model Shop now and i assume its still The Hobby Company who distributes them? If so do you know of any contact details. Maybe i will be able to make the parts support a little better

thanks
Yup, it's still the hobby company.
I hope you can get some better support over here, I would prefer to buy stuff in the uk, but the hobby Co. pretty much seem to be completely unitereested in supporting the high end cars, instead relying on the things that make the most profit (TT01's and TL01 etc). Can't say I blame them, but it would be nice to have a least a little support. I have heard rumours from some racers that some Hobby Co. employees were talking to eurocuppers, and asking what the part numbers for 415 bits were...
and their the distributor!

What class you runnning in the winter series, I've stuck to what I know best at the moment, and am running 27t stock.
If you want I'll forward on a couple of setups I have from DV, but to be honest I doubt I'll be using them, as they are setup for a spool, and I reckon I might try the one-ways this time around.

Oh and yeah you'll probably beat me, usual story, Cars great: Drivers Crap....

Regards
Ed
Old 09-28-2004, 04:49 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Mr_Orange
Have you tried sorex 28r with JB blue inserts? They are widely used here in scandinavia and germany and gives great grip. You have to use tyre additive though and there are many oderless to choose from. Main advantage of the JB inserts is that they only weight 4 grams for the whole set, great for stockracing
Can't say I have tried them, I don't really have too much spare cash to try huge numbers of different tyre combo's. As I'm not really doing any major champs etc, I just tend to buy a set that'll cover a good range of surfaces, with decent wear, and so far I'm fairly impressed with the 24's (I did ask another racer about inserest, and the B-Med is what he recomended, not too much of an airgap, and not too soft either, so good middle ground).

I have used JB blues in HPI 1540's that we have to run for the winter series, I never ran the second smaller part however, as I was using inch-up wheels. Aparently the new one-piece ones (along with inch up rims) are being used for a control wheel/insert/tyre combo at the winter series this year, should be interesting.

Regards
Ed
Old 09-28-2004, 04:51 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Obsidian
Tryhard,

Nevermind, I read the set-up sheet. It indicated the wheel base setting.

I never bother with adding in the wheelbase measurement as it's a) too difficult to measure accuratley, and b) it's taken care of by the suspension arm spacers.
Anyway hope the set works... it's as close to my lwt base setup as i reckon it could be, but without actually bolting the std suspension back on the car therss no real deffinate way to compare. Call it the best guestimate

Last edited by TryHard; 09-28-2004 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:53 PM
Tech Champion

ok guys, just whipped this up from the info posted a few pages back about surikarns setup from the Reedy 04. Not brilliant useful, but better than just writing.

surikarn reedy 04 setup

Ed
Old 09-29-2004, 07:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Sleighty
thanks Try hard,

thanks
Dont bother wasting your time. They aint bothered in bringing in to many bits for the 415 as there is no point. Someone i know does the lists of parts they need to order for each TRF/Evo kit but i dont think they have 415 bits in yet. 98% of the eurocup GT lot used 415's and not one part for them was from the UK. Rick
Old 09-29-2004, 01:03 PM
Tech Addict

Greetings TryHard,

have you ever tried setting the wheel base spacers so that the front and rear arms are as far back to the rear as possible? I have an oversteer and have tried many thing to correct it except changing the wheel base.

Cheerz
Old 09-29-2004, 01:18 PM
Tech Champion

so far no I haven't. I would guess that a longer wheelbase would make the car more stable, and make it much less quicker to change direction (if i'm wrong on this, someone on here will surely correct me )

Where abouts in the turn is the oversteer happening? Going in, mid turn or exit?

for wheelbase adjustment, what I would probably try is adjusting just one end. If i'm correct, by adjusting the rear (moving the arms as far back as possible) you'll move more weight forward, and the opposite would occur if the same happened on the front. Try doing it on the front, might help, as more weight will be transfered to the rear of the car.

Personally I leave mine as is. Have you tried lowering the rear roll centre? (if running indoors, remove the shims from under the rear suspension blocks), try adding a 0.5mm shim under the inner camber link, should help.

Regards
Ed
Old 09-29-2004, 02:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default 415 on carpet / foam

dr_hfuhuhurr,

I ran the 415 on carpet foam last winter at a number of events with high grip. When I first got the car I ran it with the one-way on foams -- fast but not easy to drive and be consistent. So I made a front diff and like the car much more.

Comparing the evo 3 vs. the 415 on carpet, i much preferred the 415. The evo 3 had too much steering...I thinnk due to a more flexible chassis. I glued two upper decks together on the evo 3, which helped it a lot, but the 415 being stiffer just seemed more stable and much easier to drive hard and fast.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: 415 on carpet / foam

Originally posted by Martin Crisp
dr_hfuhuhurr,

I ran the 415 on carpet foam last winter at a number of events with high grip. When I first got the car I ran it with the one-way on foams -- fast but not easy to drive and be consistent. So I made a front diff and like the car much more.

Comparing the evo 3 vs. the 415 on carpet, i much preferred the 415. The evo 3 had too much steering...I thinnk due to a more flexible chassis. I glued two upper decks together on the evo 3, which helped it a lot, but the 415 being stiffer just seemed more stable and much easier to drive hard and fast.
Martin,
What car did you use at the TCS Nats? Can you pls. post your setup? Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.