Search

TT01 <--- replacement of TB01?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 11:22 PM
Tech Regular

Default TT01 <--- replacement of TB01?

Hi folks,

So, I have a TB01 chassis (very much stock, except for springs) and I'm trying to make it TCS legal. However, I have to buy a Tamiya body and Tamiya tires (and wheels), so I'm possibly looking at about:
60 (body) + 40 (tires and rims) = 100 dollars!!

So I was thinking of just buying a TT01 as a replacement (TCS legal stock... woo hoo!). That would cover my body and my tires cost. However, I'm wondering how much oil shocks would cost for the TT01? And what's the part number?

I'm kinda on a tight budget. Was thinking TL01, but apparently TT01 is that much beter. What do you guys think?

thanks for any advice!

edit: (whoops! sorry mods. I accidentally placed this in the wrong forum)
Old 04-15-2005, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Does your TB02 have oil shocks on it? if so just put them on they are the same shocks i am sure.

I personaly would get the TT01 and not the TL01
Old 04-15-2005, 10:50 AM
Tech Regular

My TB01 has oil shocks. Only problem is one is grafted on almost permanently to the TB01 O_o... oi... OH! Never mind, it's not grafted on However, now my TB01 shock tower has snapped... again. Guess I'll be out of TCS this weekend

Some guys are saying the TT01 is pretty capable. I wonder how good it would be in the GT2 class?

Also, does putting my TB01 shocks on the TT01 still make it TCS legal?

Last edited by dugrant153; 04-15-2005 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:26 PM
Tech Regular

How much different is the price between TT01 and TB02?

if you are thinking of TT01, TB02 might be a better alternative over the long run.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

DON'T DO IT!!! DON'T DO IT!!!

Stay with the TB. The tb02 is better, but the tb is still a good car. The TT stands for Tamiya Toy , sorry, it is basicaly a toys R us car with replaceable parts. THE TT01 IS NOT A RACE CAR!!!

Take it from me, I am a tamiya guy for long time. I have run the tb01 in all classes, up to 3rd at TCS nats in 2000. Yeah, I get teased that it is the JEWEL edition because I could have bought a nice diamond instead of the $1000 I put into it to race it. I guess thats why I kept it.

Good luck
Later
Kevin Michellich
Old 04-15-2005, 05:40 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by dsrbltoys
DON'T DO IT!!! DON'T DO IT!!!

Stay with the TB. The tb02 is better, but the tb is still a good car. The TT stands for Tamiya Toy , sorry, it is basicaly a toys R us car with replaceable parts. THE TT01 IS NOT A RACE CAR!!!

Take it from me, I am a tamiya guy for long time. I have run the tb01 in all classes, up to 3rd at TCS nats in 2000. Yeah, I get teased that it is the JEWEL edition because I could have bought a nice diamond instead of the $1000 I put into it to race it. I guess thats why I kept it.

Good luck
Later
Kevin Michellich
hahahaha.... nice.

Yeah, I've contemplated on keeping the TB01. However, a broken shock tower and the cost to make it TCS ready almost puts it in the price range of a TB01!

And as far as I can tell, the TB01 doesn't have a ton of adjustments either...
Old 04-15-2005, 06:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

It is actually a capable car. Do you have the standard suspension, or the upgraded one? I asume the std. I used to run the shocks on the mounts for the tower. It is legal to put the shock onto the gear box. Thats the way the car was origianly like on the gas car!
Old 04-15-2005, 06:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Also, the body is only like 30us, and wheels maybe barrow some, and the tower is on a tree for like 8-10 us. the whole car is 150 for the TB02 which is a much better car, and the wheels and body could also be used on that car later!
Old 04-15-2005, 10:57 PM
Tech Regular

are you talking about the TB01?

I have the standard suspension (although I upgraded the springs). You can put the shocks into the gear box? doesn't that put it at a weird angle? (I'm gonna check it out... sweet if I can do it, and still be TCS legal!)

The TB01 here in Canada is 270 CDN (that's about... uhhh... 220 US?) plus taxes... I can't even imagine what the TB01 would be... *sniff sniff*.

But yeah... I guess I gotta find some deals before the next TCS race. Watching is fun, racing is funner
Old 04-15-2005, 11:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by dugrant153
Some guys are saying the TT01 is pretty capable. I wonder how good it would be in the GT2 class?
In GT2 class, pretty much all the cars are capable. In the 1st leg of the Vancouver TCS, I was able to finish in 3rd place with my 14 year old TA02. I have stock silver springs that I can lend you, as well as an extra silver motor that you can use. Oil shocks would be nice, But I'd buy tamiya tires & a body before you get those (better to go to the dance, than to not go at all).
Old 04-15-2005, 11:42 PM
Tech Regular

oh, I have a silver can mabuchi 540 and stock silver springs on my oil-filled TB01 shocks. But yeah, the shock tower is shot. I like my TB01 and I've just removed the shock tower and placed the rear shocks in the gearbox instead (thanks dsrbltoys, looks like I can make it since it's legal!). Guess I'll have to replace that later.

Still missing my "shoes", though :P Don't think I'll be able to get any before the race since I'm pretty busy until Sunday. Oh! and a Tamiya body in time. Hah... maybe I'll just paint it at the track... haha

Still thinking about the TT01. It looks almost identical to the TB01 in almost every respect (except for the upper suspension arms?). Heck, might be good for my buddy.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:25 AM
Tech Regular

Well, after running my TB01, I'm still sort of in a dilemma

The good thing about the TT01, though, is that it is lighter than a TB01. And with the adjustment tools, you can get rear toe, rear camber, front toe, front camber while with the TB01 you only get the last 3.

Still... the TB01 seems like a very capable car. Some issues with slop, but those could be fixed if I can find the right shims and stuff.
TB01 is a tough car to find parts for. that's another thing. TT01 seems to have a million parts.