Wiki Posts
Search

What will electric do to nitro?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pdmustgt
Sounds like one of them whiny electric guys. You make the same whiny squeaky as your electric cars do. The noise, the dust, I hate pitting for them, I hate marshalling them, I burnt my hand. I burnt my hand before on electric cars before did you see me cry about NO. Or we want our race day with nitro cars it's our quiet day. Also seems the ones who can't keep nitro car running are the biggest cry babies about it (who tried and gave up). Running a nitro car really isn't hard or cost more.

You miss the point about nitro cars it's about making run the whole race without breaking or dying. The really good poeple can keep them running. Thats it close to full size race car like pitting and etc.
Funny... I recall seeing you fail to keep your (nitro) truggy running long enough to finish a qualifier a time or two.

Since marshaling nitros is such a great job, then you should have no problem doing it yourself, and let the electric guys marshal themselves. Your "whiny electric guy" thing is getting old.... please come up with some new material.

fwiw, last week I marshaled the A main Monster truck class at an RCPS event... I think it was 30 minutes.... but I promise you, it seemed like at least an hour!!! I even offered to trade shifts with one poor guy who had a particularly bad spot to marshal. At least we got a good workout that day.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck
This is funny, about 6 or so years ago. The animosity between Helicopters and Planks was at an all time high. My first love before cars is helicopters. And as they got more popular the airplane guys really started to hate us. Well in colorado they did. I learned how to fly helis in SC about 15 years ago. the flying field was small and only had 1 runway. The plankers and helis were forced to get along. And we did extreamly well. We would help each other out at funflys and it was very peicefull. Then I moved to Colorado, it felt like a slap in the face. Talk about segragation. There were fights breaking out between both of us. I don't understand why. The thing that I kept quite in Colorado was that I also have a couple of giant scale airplanes. But telling people them that I did both, I though an hanging was going to happin. I'm now in Dallas and havn't been to the flying fields yet. So we will see. I started this thread about Nitro going away, not to start a fight. Like I said, I like racing both. I just like my nitro 1/8th and my electric 1/10th.
Good post. I like both nitro and electric too. I race both, and I like my nitro cars when they are running well, but I'm obviously and "electric guy".

Both can have problems... neither is cheap to run.

On the track, I expect to see the classes divide, but I think it will have more to do with the racing format than the performance. Some nitro racers see the sheer power and speed of some of the electric cars and think that it's not fair to race with them. Based on what I have seen in actual racing, in my experience and also observing others running electric cars, I don't believe it can be said that there is an advantage. Let's just say it's debatable... the jury out, etc.

I have seen guys have the same results running nitro and electric... and watched guys of equal ability(one nitro and one electric), run nose-to-tail during races with no perceivable advantage either way. It really is about the driver.

This weekend I tried to 3-peat as the pro truggy champ at our annual labor day trophy race.

Two years ago, I won on the last lap, when the leader wrecked. I was running an electric Jammin CRT.

Last year I ran a nitro Losi 8ightT and was running 2nd place, when the leader flamed out with a minute to go.

This year, I was running a Caster Fusion electric prototype, and was trailing that same guy again by about the same margin. This time he didn't flame out... he won, and I ended up finishing 3rd... and the guy that wrecked on the last lap two years ago, finished right behind me this year.

Three different trucks... one nitro... two electric.... pretty much identical results at the same event.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Tech Regular

The only thing I have to say after my local race. Turn Marshaling an ELECTRIC buggy at a NITRO race is strange. My club races nitros (mainly) and I went to grab a flamed out nitro, i picked it up, and all of a sudden it ripped to life and was twisting my wrist LOL oops didn't realize that it was electric. I set tossed it onto the track and let it go.

I don't see either going away. I see nitro going to hardcore racers (IMO that enjoy more than just racing, they enjoy tearing it down, tuning it, etc.) and electrics being more user friendly (beginners and experienced racers. just people who want to race and don't want to tear down and tune constantly).

I myself will stay with nitro. I pit a fullscale Fastrack Latemodel, 2 UMP modifieds, and 3 minis. I see more in common with my fullscale fun and nitro racing than i do with electrics. IMO. I just love the smell of nitro at night and the low blue haze in the lights LOL
Old 09-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

That makes me realize, electrics will force marshalls to PAY ATTENTION... Cause there's no motor to rev when they're NOT paying attention
Old 09-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Tech Addict

You smokers don't have to worry, I see the classes staying apart. Yeah they will have to run together, till enough electrics can get their own class, but i see different things for electric. Within 3-5 years, there will be an E-1/8 class, in exibition at least, at the off road E-nationals, Unfortunately it will probably be the demise of the ST class though. I see the electric guys going for lower track times than nitro's, say 20-25 minutes average over the 30-40 minutes for most big races.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by glassdoctor
Funny... I recall seeing you fail to keep your (nitro) truggy running long enough to finish a qualifier a time or two.

Since marshaling nitros is such a great job, then you should have no problem doing it yourself, and let the electric guys marshal themselves. Your "whiny electric guy" thing is getting old.... please come up with some new material.

fwiw, last week I marshaled the A main Monster truck class at an RCPS event... I think it was 30 minutes.... but I promise you, it seemed like at least an hour!!! I even offered to trade shifts with one poor guy who had a particularly bad spot to marshal. At least we got a good workout that day.

Ok I wasn't even talking to you in the first place.

Seems you can't let it go since you keep trying to bring this up same cr*p up over and over following me around again Next time I will throw the stick over the cliff so you won't come back LOL.
""whiny electric guy"" truth hurts don't it. Since you HATE nitro and marshalling them so much why do you show up. Oh I know deep down you LOVE the smell of nitro

I seem to remember your electric 1/8 pooping out many times more than my nitro car ever has.

The track is very Political always has been from what others say and from what I've seen this is from both classes. It's not from the poeple who own it or run it but from some of the racers who race there. Phil's track was never like this I wonder why
Old 09-01-2008, 11:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Besides the diehard electric guys at the track are so easy to get worked up it's so much fun. I never had a problem with electric guys but when you hear them in the pit area about nitro cars. Just make them so easy to pick on can't help myself . Plus I really don't what they say about nitro cars. See who's car is still running along after I run them over j/k
Old 09-01-2008, 11:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trdsupra88
Are you kidding me, all must be from the deep south. It is funny to see people put down things they know nothing about, especially when it is in the same hobby. To all the people quoted above, dont hurt yourself thinking about this one but, WE ARE ALL PLAYING WITH TOYS!!!
Did I put anybody down? I said I think its dumb when people think that because they have something of power, there that much better than you. Thats putting you, as im guessing a "brushless racer" down?

how do you know that Im not a brushless racer? Im building a Brushless revo rite now actually. Think I would wanna diss myself?

I live in Oregon, far from the deep south.

And we are all playing with toy cars, thats why Im saying people being ignorant and stupid is dumb. Go buy a damn go kart if you wanna be a preppy stuck up ignorant biatch. You will fit in quite well there. (I used to race go karts, way back. So did my Father and brother. No offence to any normal people that love karting )

If you would like to hang out, have fun, race, be chill, Have at it with R/C. But other wise, I dont wanna see bull crud like you twisting my words anywhere near where i go to have fun and relax.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:04 AM
gfx
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Edumakated
I definitely see two classes forming. I also agree that electric will probably have more beginners and club racers as it is a lot easier to get started and catch on with electric. Electric 1/8's got me back into a hobby that I had all but written off 20 years ago. Last year I discovered brushless/lipos could provide more performance than nitro and I was back in. When I grew up, electric was slow and nitro was fast, now that has changed. I would have loved to go with nitro but it isn't practical living in a big city.

However, I do think you will see quite a few pro drivers choosing electric simply due to the performance aspect. A lot of competitors simply want to get around the track faster and if electric is what does it, then that is what they will race. Electric cars will also change the track layouts a bit - larger jumps which is another reason I think it would attract a lot of pro drivers.

I see nitro becoming a diehard kind of class. Very few beginners, nothing but serious racers who just love the sound and mess of nitro. Electric will probably be a more diverse group of racers - beginners to the serious guys.
This is a very astute perspective, IMO.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:26 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by fiveoboy01
That makes me realize, electrics will force marshalls to PAY ATTENTION... Cause there's no motor to rev when they're NOT paying attention
Haha, very true. I had to put a sticker on my shell that says, "Flop me over, I am electric" because marshals kept bringing my electric car to the pits thinking it was dead. Several racing buddies have said I should put a noise maker on it. LOL
Old 09-02-2008, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

You know, if you would come over and hang out with the guys more, you will see it's not as bad as you think. We actually all have a good time and spend most of the day joking and running smack etc. I like Phil and his track too... too bad that crew can't get along better with the haven group.

You have never heard me complain about marshaling nitros. But I can understand if a guy who runs a 1/10 stock truck doesn't think it's sweet that he gets to marshal the out of control 10 pound truggies... you know, blasting past all the corners and always gunning full throttle to get off the pipes just as he's about to grab them. just kidding... but there is a difference you know. That's why we don't let kids do nitros, and that's why we had a "man down" during the truggy A main on Sunday... a marshal got nailed bad.

btw, I'm not following you.... I followed a thread about electric 1/8 I just had to bust on you cause I think that's the same post you had from about 2 years ago, lol. Next time, come hang out with us... you will have more fun, I promise.

Originally Posted by pdmustgt
Ok I wasn't even talking to you in the first place.

Seems you can't let it go since you keep trying to bring this up same cr*p up over and over following me around again Next time I will throw the stick over the cliff so you won't come back LOL.
""whiny electric guy"" truth hurts don't it. Since you HATE nitro and marshalling them so much why do you show up. Oh I know deep down you LOVE the smell of nitro

I seem to remember your electric 1/8 pooping out many times more than my nitro car ever has.

The track is very Political always has been from what others say and from what I've seen this is from both classes. It's not from the poeple who own it or run it but from some of the racers who race there. Phil's track was never like this I wonder why

Last edited by glassdoctor; 09-02-2008 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:59 AM
Tech Elite

For the hardcore nitro crowd on this thread:

IMO, electric racing in general (I'm talking mostly 1/10 offroad here) is more laid back.... less frantic and stressful. This weekend, we had a big electric race and a kid who only runs nitro commented about how chilled out we seemed to be. Just relaxed and joking, not stressed and wrenching non-stop.... etc. We joked that it's an "electric thing" and that he should try it.

Now... on the track it's just as intense as nitro, but without the common stress and frustration of a motor losing it's tune or flaming out, etc.. it's just a different vibe, IMO.

I like racing nitro too, but not every week. When everything is running good, it's a blast and I like the noise... as long as I have a radio in my hand. "BRAAAAAAP BRAAAAP!!!!!" does wear on me after a long day though

Assuming the 1/8 electric forms it's own class, I hope to see big races take on an IFMAR type of format, with triple A mains. That way, the electric class ends up with the same time on the track and same chance to make up for a bad start, etc. I think doing 45 min and changing batteries is not a good idea. Three 10 or 15 minute races would be better, and take no longer than a 30 or 45 min nitro race. No hot laps, refueling, rolling start dances, etc...
Old 09-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

I've seen both classes get stressed out over racing. Beside do you see me wrenching on my car all day no. I prep it the day after the race I don't leave it and try doing it at the next race day.

Did you see me get it in the leg by Mack. Was trying to get the electric 1/8 off the track he was broke no rear drive. Already causing a tie up at the crossover then go over the jump now again stuck in the middle. Kept trying to pull him off the track he kepted hitting the trigger. I got nailed big time the only now is I hope it didn't change the out come of the race expert A main. I wished now I had just lefted him there now.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

True, any race day can be stressed or can go smooth. Depends on whether anything breaks etc. I'm repeating what several nitro racers were saying... they all agreed that Saturday (electric) was more chilled. Flip a switch, set car on track, walk to drivers stand. LOL

Too bad about getting punked while marshaling... at least you didn't get taken out as bad as Jeff during the truggy main. If it was Cam's car that you pulled late in the race, he ran out of battery because of the re-start and ton of "rolling start" laps we had to do while they tried to get the computer right. He ran too many hot laps too. I skipped the warm up laps and made it ok.

FWIW.... I don't think electric will hurt nitros at all. I think it will actually add to the total entries at "nitro" races... or should we say "1/8" races. Nitros are here to stay... both for racing and bashing. (I think nitros make great bashers)
Old 09-02-2008, 12:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.