Community
Wiki Posts
Search

starting in vta right for a beginner

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 04:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Default starting in vta right for a beginner

just getting started in racing. Is the vta where I need to start at? If so what kind of chassis will I need.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

VTA should be one of the less speedy classes, but is also all about detail, so you'll want to put more time into repairing body/paint details each time you do. If you enjoy that, it is a decent place to start.

Otherwise I'd suggest something like a 17.5 TC as a starting place for on road driving. Those aren't really fast, but will be a similar or same car as the faster ones if you want to step up later (swap motor and gearing), and should be easy to get set up help with at your local track, so you can learn what different adjustments do on your car.

Another good place if it is running well at your track is to start with F1, which is usually a silvercan or 21.5 class. The cars are often less expensive than TC's, and it is more about learning to drive perfect racing lines.

Lastly, many will also suggest a mini class, though I typically don't, simply because you don't save much of anything in money and they tend to break just as easily or easier than a TC.

In all cases, welcome to the sport and hobby, and I hope you have tons of fun!
Old 01-06-2013, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

i agree with justpoet but if you were to go into vta as a starting point i would recomend getting the tc4 club race chassis from associated

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCFLH&P=ML

welcome too the hobby and get ready too spend a lot of money you swore not too, because once you get one you cant just stop at that
Old 01-07-2013, 09:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Agreed, the TC4 chassis is an excellent way to get into VTA.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcduder
i agree with justpoet but if you were to go into vta as a starting point i would recomend getting the tc4 club race chassis from associated

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCFLH&P=ML

welcome too the hobby and get ready too spend a lot of money you swore not too, because once you get one you cant just stop at that
I have been racing since past 2 months and before that I had never touched a RC car in my life.

Talk to me about spending money, I started with TC4 in mind and ended up getting a TC6.1. After around $700ish dollars .. I still have to buy the transponder

My local rc club runs a novice class where people race with any 10th scale on-road so I am currently racing in that class since I am learning. I plan to go to the VTA class after couple of races though.

welcome to the hobby, its addictive
Old 01-08-2013, 06:01 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 1212 (100%+)

I would ask at the track you plan on racing at. VTA is a great spec class, but realize you must stay in the confinds of the rules. you can pretty much run any TC chassis and have fun in the class. Tons of used rollers in the classifieds and probably even some ARTR VTA setups there too.