Wiki Posts
Search

Novak external Lipo cut off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default Novak external Lipo cut off.

I am running the Novak GTB and unless I un intentionally turned the built in Lipo cut off - Off, by mistake, it some how shut it self off.

That little mishap just cost me a $120, 6300mah lipo battery, SOAB

The incredible staff at max amps is more than taking care of me, even though it was no fault of there own, the battery over discharged and its toast.

I was looking into adding the Novak smart stop lipo cut off to my buggy. I know the GTB has the built in cut off, but my thought is that an additional external lipo cut off shouldnt hurt, especially since the built in one already cost me my $120 lipo. Like I mentioned before it could have been turned off accidently, by user error.

What are your thoughts on doing this. Is it ok to run the external cut off with the built in turn off. It shouldnt hurt any thing in theroy but I am not 100% sure though.

Any input would be greatly appericated.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Tech Master

i run a gtb w/lipo cut-off in my t4 , i mounted it what you might call side ways , meaning lights facing outwards so i see them when i turn it on , ive been worried when changing proliles id turn it off and not know it , on my wifes t4 she runs a gts w/no cut-off for lipo so i use the external novak cut-off , works well , cant see why external wouldnt work the way your asking , go to on-road thread and ask steve weiss , from novak , he'll tell ya , ray
Old 04-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Tech Adept

Thats seems weird. I have an XBR/8.5 EX system on my T4 and my cut-off goes off fine. However, that little button can easily be accidentally pressed in many ways. Its like my cell phone. If I forget to lock the keys, I accidentally call friends, store 3 digit numbers into my contact list....one time i acidentally sent a text message to my dad that said GTFO.....how funny is that i flamed my dad in an unintentional text.

I can see this happening easily with an ESC. While unlikely, it is not improbable. A good idea may be to find a way to shield the button on the ESC after you have confirmed your settings.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

just curious .. how long did u run your 6300 for??
you didn't feel the lipo "dumping"?

i run my orion 3200 with the GTB with NO cut-off. it gets VERY noticable when the voltage drops to around 6.5V and i stop immediately.

i don't run the cut-off because i alternate between nimh and lipos and i do run my old 3800/3700 nimhs until they totally dump.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Well, It was my mistake, and I know what your getting at. (lol)

For the past 2 months I have been using a 7.5 motor and I was getting about 40-45 minutes practice / half a$$ tune time / goofing around, nothing serious.

I decided to up the motor to a 6.5 b/c I wanted to start racing at the LHS which at the time the race was 2 weeks out. After changing the motor I went back to the track to actually try to set the buggy up the right way, meaning the suspension, camber, front toe, ect...

I was not use to the decreased run time of the faster motor, and because I would do a couple of laps, change a setting, do a couple laps, change something else, I didnt pay attention like I should have. Also when it dumped, I drove it back to the pits instead of walking my lazy butt over to the car.

Newb - to lipo mistake
Old 04-06-2008, 05:21 AM
Tech Champion

Are you sure your version of the gtb has low voltage shut off? I don't think the early ones did. At least the remanufactured replacement I got when mine blew up after 4 laps had an added on sticker noting this feature.

I tested mine with a nimh just to be sure. Won't prevent accidently turning it off in the future, but at least be sure you start with it.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

I use one of novaks external LVC's, and it is pretty reliable. it will flash an led when you're aproaching the low voltage, and then will interupt your throttle channel if you keep running it closer to 6v.

i dont have to guess what capacity is left in my packs, so i can run for as long as the batteries will take me, and have no threat of overdischarging.

for the 20$, it was well worth it. i run it with one of the older GTB's that dont have a built in LVC.

Cheers!
Old 04-06-2008, 07:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

As stated not all GTBs have cutoff. I used the Novak external cut off on my GTX with Orion Lipo and it worked like a charm. Blue flashing light and then throttle blipping long before damage can be done. I am now using a GTB and have the external left over. If you want to buy one that works cheap, e-mail me.

[email protected]