Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

Alex Racing Barracuda R2 & R3

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 04:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Re: R3 High Grip set up(no sway bars)

Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
Here ya go Poop

Front
Front One way
Oil AE 35W
1.2mm pistion
1.5x600 spring
Mid Span sus arm
Lower hole on c-hub(5deg)
Outermost hole on upper deck for camber link
shock on outer most hole on shock tower & 60% or inner hole on sus arm
toe 0deg @ wheels
Sus arm toe out (as much as you can get )you`ll need offset sus balls for this..the front a-arms when looking down at them should look like this \ /..as much as possible
Camber 1deg
4.5mm ride height
3.5mm rebound/droop
Steering Rack inner holes for linkage and short/fwd hole on knuckle

Rear
Rear Diff med~tight
Oil AE 30W
1.2mm pistion
1.5x700 spring
Mid Span sus arm
Upper hole on rear hub
Outermost hole on upper deck for camber link
Shock on outer most hole on shock tower & 70% or second hole in on sus arm
toe in 2.5 deg
camber 1.5 deg
4.8~5mm ride height
4.5mm rebound/droop

This set up can work with both mid span or long span sus arms..all you have to do is change the upper camber link mount from the outermost hole to the middle hole on the upper deck.. so if the track grip goes away switch to the long span

I also would recomend using a nutral body..AKA Dodge 2.0 and try to stick with a Med inner...Xenon Green or Xenon X-Black..and you should be on your way to having a very fast cornering easy driving Barracuda

Good Luck

-Dave
Thanks heaps Dave!
i'll give that a try as soon as possible
btw, when you say no sway bars, does that mean that i shouldn't use them at all?
for the front arms, should i use four offset balls to get max toe out or is two in front enough?
cheers mate!
Old 11-07-2004, 04:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: R3 High Grip set up(no sway bars)

Originally posted by poop
Thanks heaps Dave!
i'll give that a try as soon as possible
btw, when you say no sway bars, does that mean that i shouldn't use them at all?
for the front arms, should i use four offset balls to get max toe out or is two in front enough?
cheers mate!
Yes this is a good no sway bar set up.. AKA don`t use them... but if you must.. I would not go bigger that 1mm and make sure you use the same size F&R if you must

and as for the ofset balls... make sure you use a set of 4 up front

After you have run this set up a few times... give me some feedback on it..and wI might be able to tweek it slightly to suit your driving style...but then again you might love this set up too

-Dave
Old 11-07-2004, 04:23 AM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Re: Re: R3 High Grip set up(no sway bars)

Yes this is a good no sway bar set up:nod.. AKA don`t use them... but if you must.. I would not go bigger that 1mm and make sure you use the same size F&R if you must

and as for the ofset balls... make sure you use a set of 4 up front

After you have run this set up a few times... give me some feedback on it..and wI might be able to tweek it slightly to suit your driving style...but then again you might love this set up too

-Dave
Thanks Dave,
will definitely keep you posted on my success (fingers crossed) with the cuda
Old 11-07-2004, 04:29 AM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: R3 High Grip set up(no sway bars)

Thanks Dave,
few more questions:
i dont have alex springs i only have yokomo ones...what colours should i use front and rear?
also, do you use any spacers under the top deck camber link balls?
cheers mate!
Old 11-07-2004, 04:30 AM
Tech Champion

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: R3 High Grip set up(no sway bars)

Thanks Dave,
Your welcome.. Just make sure to take it nice and slow untill you get use to it..

-Dave
Old 11-07-2004, 04:39 AM
Tech Champion

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: R3 High Grip set up(no sway bars)

few more questions:
i dont have alex springs i only have yokomo ones...what colours should i use front and rear?
also, do you use any spacers under the top deck camber link balls?
cheers mate!
For yok springs....hmmm I would use a Orange up Front and a Pink in the Rear.. as far as spacers go... you will not need them

-Dave
Old 11-07-2004, 05:18 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Man I went to bed last night and wake up and their is like 10 more posts!!!!!! I was left in the dark once again!!!!
Old 11-07-2004, 02:05 PM
Tech Master

Hi all,

This is going to seem like a really easy question but please think about it before answering as I'm not sure that "under springing" is going on.

At the moment i'm running Yokomo Orange (about 17.5 pounds)springs right around the car and the front "feels" much softer than the rear, like alot.

Shocks front and rear mounted fully out at the bottom and 1 in at the top.

Now this is running Foams on carpet and i'm thinking that maybe on this high grip surface that i'm getting to much roll on the front and actually loosing grip because of it and that grip could be improved by reducing the front roll i.e harder springs.

It's just that i haven't tried it yet and wondered if anyone else has on a similar surface ??? as this would not nessecerly be the same on a tramac track

I'm looking for more front end steering ( normally achieved by softening the front !)
Old 11-07-2004, 02:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by RcMonk
The Yokomo part# I got from Wyd is ZS-501R. Apparently
these are outdrive savers for their 4wd buggy.
Lame question but anyone know where i can get these ??

Speedtech and Tower don't seem to be showing them.

Uk based would be great Oh Apex also don't seem to have them !
Old 11-07-2004, 02:23 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Merciless
Hi all,

This is going to seem like a really easy question but please think about it before answering as I'm not sure that "under springing" is going on.

At the moment i'm running Yokomo Orange (about 17.5 pounds)springs right around the car and the front "feels" much softer than the rear, like alot.

Shocks front and rear mounted fully out at the bottom and 1 in at the top.

Now this is running Foams on carpet and i'm thinking that maybe on this high grip surface that i'm getting to much roll on the front and actually loosing grip because of it and that grip could be improved by reducing the front roll i.e harder springs.

It's just that i haven't tried it yet and wondered if anyone else has on a similar surface ??? as this would not nessecerly be the same on a tramac track

I'm looking for more front end steering ( normally achieved by softening the front !)
are you using any sway bars.???? and for carpet.. I would think that you would want a bit siffer spring..?? no.??
-Dave
Old 11-07-2004, 02:24 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Merciless
Lame question but anyone know where i can get these ??

Speedtech and Tower don't seem to be showing them.

Uk based would be great Oh Apex also don't seem to have them !
Hit Steve up.. they are a MR4BC part .. he should be able to get them
-Dave
Old 11-07-2004, 02:27 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Most of the carpet setups I see run around 20wt oil stiffer in the front of the car and then 1 to 2 springs stiffer in the front than the rear. I normally see 40 wt oil in the rear and like 60 in the frontMost run purple Jaco rear foams and plaid front Jaco foams. Use tire compound on the rear and about 1/2 of the front inside tire.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:06 PM
Tech Regular

Merciless,
what additive are you running on those foams and how much/long are you putting it on for??????

Ive run 50 wt oil all round with assoc purple (30.30lb) up front and assoc red (23.08lb) on the rear, but have gone stiffer still on a higher grip track.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:22 PM
Tech Master

are you using any sway bars.???? and for carpet.. I would think that you would want a bit siffer spring..?? no.??
-Dave
Yes,

Sway bars
I've got the softer of the hardest set on the front and the harder of the medium set on the rear

I am also thinking harder springs as i am also scrubbing to much corner speed through the infield, But the last time i used Rayspeed Whites and the car just didn't feel good, sort of loose as if i had gone to hard but i was thinking of trying a red on the front white on the rear combo this week (Rayspeed springs) as i think the grip has picked up alittle more over the last couple of weeks.

I am only looking for alittle more really i can already run 2nd at the club but i'm averaging about .4/.5sec a lap of the pace i need to get to, which is too slow as i am.

I need the car to hold a tighter line while loosing less speed doing it a hard one i know

i also thought of leaving the springs as they are but adding a 1mm spacer under the rear wishbone mounts to loosen it abit.

For tyres i'm already using the plaid/purples and have plenty of grip
Old 11-07-2004, 03:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Gazza_D
Merciless,
what additive are you running on those foams and how much/long are you putting it on for??????

Ive run 50 wt oil all round with assoc purple (30.30lb) up front and assoc red (23.08lb) on the rear, but have gone stiffer still on a higher grip track.
Christ gonna give all my tips away here in one hit
CS high

About 1/2 hour before racing on the rear and 25mins before on the front.

Wiped off VERY throughly 5 mins before racing and car then scrubbed accross track carpet until i feel tyres starting to bite before the race (by hand sort of move the car around on the ground so the tyres rotate forwards and sideways across the track at the same time)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.