Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Todd Hodge..aka "Hodgimoto"

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 07:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Fike
RichO: ok... major confusion setting in... I thought this was used on the thrust balls, not in the diff? I beleive that I am now offically lost
There is a brown grease which is used on the diff balls and there is a tan grease which is used on the thrust balls.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Fike: My bad... I misread your initial message. I always use the MIP or AE black grease for the thrust bearings. I have also switched to the McMaster thrust bearings instead of the individual balls.

As mentioned, the brown grease is for the diff. Not sure on the tan grease mentioned.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:24 AM
Tech Master

RichO, no problem, thanks, E
Old 05-23-2004, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

where do you get the mcmaster bearings, i heard that there was a traxxas part that was the same....any help??

thanks
matt
Old 05-23-2004, 12:25 PM
TLRacing

Richo-I have really liked what I have found. The other day I went softer front and rear springs and it had more grip and steering. So I am green in the front and blue in the rear.

mr.losi-Go to www.Mcmaster.com. Here is the part number and description. They are expensive but worth the money since they never wear out. I highly doubt the traxxas one can be that good.

7806K53
Miniature Steel Metric Ball Bearing For 3 mm Shaft Diameter, 8 mm Outside Diameter
$ 9.40 Each
Old 05-23-2004, 04:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Green and blue is dialed lol
Old 05-23-2004, 06:51 PM
Administrator

thanks todd....i will get a set......good luck at the reedy race.....and say hello to P.L. for me.....we dont see him around these parts very often......
Old 05-24-2004, 09:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Mr. Losi: I have both the Traxxas and the McMaster and they are both different. The McMaster is a more solid looking assembly.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:14 AM
Administrator

thanks rich..i will get the mcmaster
Old 05-24-2004, 01:53 PM
Tech Regular

Default Drive Train Problem

Yet another question Todd. I've got a problem with my xxxs that I can't seem to nail down. I've noticed since the car was new that the front diff doesn't rotate as freely as the rear. I know you can never get both to be exactly the same, but the difference is definitely noticeable. I've rebuilt the entire car multiple times and have tried moving the rear diff and outdrive bearings to the front and vice versa. Regardless, the front never rotates as freely. If I place one of the diffs in the front chassis housing I notice that this is where the problem seems to be. In other words, the front housing on the chassis is where the problem is, not the front diff cover. Have you ever heard of this? Any idea how I can fix it?

I just talked to Bill at customer support and he offered to replace the chassis at no charge if I send in my old one first, but if there's something else I can do to fix it I would rather do that. Thanks again for your help. Good luck at Reedy!
Old 05-24-2004, 07:11 PM
Tech Regular

Todd, i have a quick ? in regards to the spool on the xxx-s. I know how a one -way compares to a standard diff, but what exactly are the characteristics of a spool on carpet and asphalt? when should i use it ??? b/c i cant seem to get a definite answer Thanks
Old 05-24-2004, 08:48 PM
TLRacing

mwcet8k-Well you could dremmel the chassis to get the bearings to be free...however if you could send the chassis in I would like to see it as well.

bballer-Well a spool will have less offpower steering than a diff but more forward drive. A diff will have less onpower steering since it will want to "diff" onpower. As for a spool on carpet with foam tires, I have not seen many people make it work and be real successful. It pushes going in then hold on...cause it has crazy onpower steering. Most prefer a diff on carpet. On asphalt you don't have near the traction so a spool can be used easily. Hope this helps you out.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by T. Hodge
mwcet8k-Well you could dremmel the chassis to get the bearings to be free...however if you could send the chassis in I would like to see it as well.
See that's the problem. There's nothing visibly wrong with the chassis. I wouldn't even know where to dremmel to fix the problem since everything appears fine. Also, seems that if the chassis was the problem, the diff wouldn't seat easily into it. But it slides in no problem. No worries. I'll probably just send it back to Bill and get a replacement.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:38 AM
TLRacing

mwcetk8-Send it back to my attention.

Team Losi
4710 E. Guasti Rd.
Ontario, CA 91761

Attn: Todd Hodge
Old 05-25-2004, 07:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Good luck at the Reedy.

Tony V

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.