Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric! >

GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree17Likes

GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WildBillMassey
That is correct.

The A and B blocks are the upper and lower blocks on the rear of the front bulkhead. The car comes with A blocks but no B blocks are supplied. The part you will need is http://www.igthobbies.com/product_p/kyoif124b.htm

That set comes with A blocks, B blocks, and the complete set of rear toe blocks (2, 2.5, and 3 degree)

You must change both upper and lower block at the same time and they must match. Going to a B Block setup gives you lower caster angle for more quicker steering response.
I know the Jammin has 7 degrees kickup in the chassis, and 15 degrees in the C-hubs. When using the A-blocks it leaves this as 22 degrees caster, but when using the B-blocks it reduces the caster by 2 degrees, giving a total of 20 degrees.

Is this about the same as the IGT?

Since I changed from an upper arm to an upper turnbuckle I don't use the upper A/B blocks, just the lower. I thought about maybe having someone machine a block that reduces caster even more, like reduce caster by 4-6 degress for a total of 16-18 degrees caster.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Matthew_Armeni
Wanted to chime in on the run time of these cars. One of the biggest things we've come to notice running 1/8th off road electric for 4+ years now is that run time varies greatly between drivers and driving style. Driver A can have the exact same setup as driver B but run his batteries out twice as fast (no exaggeration). Driver skill and driving style make a huge difference. A pro level driver might only be able to race these cars for 6-8 min, and expert driver 8-10min, and a sportsman anywhere from 8-15min, all with the same setups. Sometimes hard to believe but several factors support this. Pro drivers typically turn more more laps than average racers. Pro drivers drive deeper into turns and brake later and harder than average drivers. They also have the ability to drive strapped yet be in total control (this is more of an off road thing but can still apply here) whereas others cannot push that hard with good results.

I'd say that whatever the lowest time posted is you'd want to go 1 min lower than that to allow for any inconsistencies and warm-up laps. And by doing triple A-Mains you allow racers to get their money's worth of track time. This race shouldn't be won or lost due to a battery dumping.

One last note, or wish, lol, if you can work in a way to bump up through the mains that would also be really cool. I know it's hard to do with triple A's but winning a lower main and knowing you have another race is very exciting. Plus it also allows for bum qualifiers.
Thank you very much for the insight on race length vs run time, much appreaciated.

Also on the bump-ups, +1

Our GT events always have (3) bump-ups into the next main. As a racer many times I've found myself having poor qualifing rounds and "bumped" my way into the A Main.

We seed the top 7 into the A and give racers the opportunity to make the big show or in the case of GT Electrics, you'll have three times the fun!
Old 03-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Wow ok. Ill have to make some towers. Thanks for the info!!
Old 03-11-2011, 12:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default sweeps gt tyres

i got my sweeps gt tyres for my 8gt and when i was trying to mount them on my 6ix pak wheels, i noticed that there is a 1/4 inch gap on the insert when it`s mounted to the wheel, and it`s creating a flat spot on the tire. what is the proper way to mount this type of insert? do i glue the insert to the wheel or the tire? please help. thanks.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jamminroger
i got my sweeps gt tyres for my 8gt and when i was trying to mount them on my 6ix pak wheels, i noticed that there is a 1/4 inch gap on the insert when it`s mounted to the wheel, and it`s creating a flat spot on the tire. what is the proper way to mount this type of insert? do i glue the insert to the wheel or the tire? please help. thanks.
Did those inserts come with those tires? You may have the wrong insert. Can you post a photo of your six pack wheels and insert. That may give most a better idea on what they are looking at.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Tech Addict

Exclamation CONVERTING MY KYOSHO GT2 TO ELECTRIC.....NEED HELP

As the title of my post states.........need help.

What do I need (brand wise)? Will be using it for parking lot bashing for my daughter...and for me also.

-Conversion kit
-1/8 Brushless system with motor included
-Lipo battery (rating and priced affordably)
-Pinion gear (keeping 2-speed tranny-updated version)

Thank you to all who could help.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

This could be a quick option...

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

RTR for $400 from A Main, just add body mounts from IGT and body & have fun. Just a thought.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TimmyMontoya
Wow ok. Ill have to make some towers. Thanks for the info!!
My pleasure
Old 03-12-2011, 09:15 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JRRobiso

What do I need (brand wise)? Will be using it for parking lot bashing for my daughter...and for me also.

-Conversion kit

JR, PM with your address... I have a centre bulk head motor mount that will fit your GT2 which you're welcome to.. I have no use for it. You can use it with a 2 speed .. I think.. most of us use single gear with brushless.

for 2 speed: You'll need to get this from RC-Monster

http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...rcm2spdadapter,

Then you can use the Evolva gears

LiPo and inexpensive brushless systems.. check out www.hobbypartz.com
Old 03-13-2011, 12:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

-Conversion kit

List looks good, here's a few comments:

I would suggest the RC-Monster conversion, has everything you need to run the stock mech brakes and 2-speed, including 2-speed pinion adapter and your choice of gears.

http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail.php?prod=rcmigtkit

For the ESC and motor I suggest Castle or Tekin, it's a matter of personal preference, they are both great. Tekin has a few extra bells and whistles, but costs a little more, Castle makes workhorse products that are solid and affordable. You can use a Mamba Max Pro, especially if you are using mech. brakes, that's what I use personally even with motor brakes. HobbyWing/Xerun seem to becoming more popular, but I like the local service/support offered by Castle and Tekin.

For lipos I use Turnigy and Zippy from HobbyCity, and many others have had success with those too.

P.S. That is awesome to see you are getting your daughter involved, and starting her out right, with brushless!
Old 03-16-2011, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

-Conversion kit

That is very cool......I've never seen a father and daughter R/C Team.

I didn't see that anyone mentioned wheels and tires. I recommend Sweeps 45 or 50 pre-mounted. One less thing to worry about in regards to mounted and they offer pretty good handling and traction. IGT Hobbies carries them and they offer free shipping. Also check them out for parts for the conversion. He carries a lot of stuff for GT8s.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:22 PM
Tech Champion

Default Check out the master at the wheel of a 904 GTS!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

hey raman, are you going to make it out to Corona this Sunday. It's going to be great.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:53 PM
Tech Champion

Steve,

Can't make it this Sunday man.. going out of town with the lady.. Did you go to the last HB race?
Old 03-18-2011, 11:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Here is another in-car video from my electric GT8 from this past Saturday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHFZw...el_video_title

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.