Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can We Talk?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 08:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by (0000000000)
Sounds like your club had a bad turnout in 1/12 scale, which is coincidentally not very realistic or scale.

What exactly are you suggesting? There is nothing stopping you from running a scale tamiya body with the lexan driver inside.
Pan cars may not be scale but you gotta admit, they look pretty racy! Re-read my original post, TT-01 for scale and bling?
Old 02-15-2016, 08:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by SWTour
born2build

quick answer is - Touring Cars car run well on many surface types -- pan cars can't.

Back in the 80's when 1/12th and 1/10th pan cars still had a large following on asphalt and concrete tracks -- one of the complaints was that it was difficult to sell these cars to "Bashers" - who might just want to play in the street in front of their houses.

Off-Road and Touring Cars both fit and drive well for bashers - and racers both.
It seems to me "bashers" have always had companies like HPI and Traxxas for their stuff. So who was complaining? Companies looking for a bigger market share, I'll wager.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Howard Cano,
Thanks for the info. I love painting up bodies. If I'm gonna lose, I wanna look good doing it! You can bet I will check those sources
Old 02-15-2016, 09:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by valk
Depends if you want to spend time racing cars or looking at them. Touring and 12th scale have certain requirements in design to allow them to corner at the speeds they do or be stable at high straight line speeds they do.
physics and aerodynamics are indescriminate so what is pretty isnt always what wins.
But rc is great. A class for everyones interest and commitment level.
Well, let's face it, racecars spend the vast majority of their lives NOT racing so, yeah, I like my cars to look 'pretty". Back when I was racing slot cars, after tech inspection and before the race, the drivers would vote for what they thought was the best looking car. The winner (sometimes it was me) was awarded 5 bonus points toward their series points total. It is called, Concourse d' Elegance.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by born2build
Pan cars may not be scale but you gotta admit, they look pretty racy! Re-read my original post, TT-01 for scale and bling?
We can agree to disagree, as many will say that an rc touring car looks plenty "racey".
Old 02-15-2016, 10:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yeah but they looked great. I still have a 1997 Protoform Opel Calibra DTM thats never been painted. I think I have at least one BMW M3 and one of the MG ZS bodies too. I loved the older Protoform bodies before they became "race" bodies.
Originally Posted by R3VoLuTiOn
tamiya made a lot of them previously

I've most true scale realistic bodies don't handle as well as the molded performance ones
Old 02-16-2016, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

So what are we talking about exactly? It seems to be that again and again, some people want to race toy cars but the minute they realize that others actually want to do the same and even try to win (oh, the horror!) by improving their cars, they complain that the spirit has been lost and the cars look bad, or it's just a one-body class, etc. It's in the essence of competition to push the rules, and within these rules there is inevitably going to be things that work better than other, towards which everyone will converge. The only modern exception is (maybe?) VTA, but it's probably because the cars are so slow it doesn't make much of a difference; try to run VTA with 17.5 motors and within WEEKS everyone will have figured out one or two bodies that work better that the others.

Also, RC cars are silly fast, so yeah you want to see them as good as possible so you will come across a lot of bright colors. Some people (like me) also happen to think that a plain fluoro yellow Speed 6 looks badass, and some maybe even wish that the cars on TV looked more like ours. But they don't go and complain to Ferrari or General Motors about it.

If you don't like all that, then maybe you just don't really like racing or your are into die-cast models. That's fine by me -just stop whining and do your thing.

It kind of reminds me of the GT12 class. All of a sudden people realize it's just 1/12 with slightly different rules, and that- guess what?- it has become very competitive and has turned into a one-body class (which, again, is absolutely fine by me). I mean... those people really didn't see that coming?
Old 02-16-2016, 12:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

It seems like F1 might turn into a big class worldwide. Look at the last ETS race. I believe it was close to 100 F1 entries. Also there are many manufactures that are currently making F1 cars. Also the wings and bodies are quite realistic, and look even better when either a current or past Real F1 livery is put on the car. So if you want realism then I personally would lean to F1. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by heretic
It kind of reminds me of the GT12 class. All of a sudden people realize it's just 1/12 with slightly different rules, and that- guess what?- it has become very competitive and has turned into a one-body class (which, again, is absolutely fine by me). I mean... those people really didn't see that coming?
The major changes are the chassis that runs from in front of the front axle to behind the rear axle, no reactive caster and narrow rear tires/tyres. In GT12 everyone has the presumption that the Ascari is the best body, when in reality, the PF or the Ferrari can win on any given day. So there is some diversity. The Audi is decent too, but hasn't been given a chance. The others I've not mentioned are top heavy like the original Porsche and Lotus.

And yes it is competitive, and fun.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Heretic Wow! That was harsh. I'm not "whining", it's more like lamenting. I had the same experience with slot car racing to the point I started referring to them as "slot things". I'd hate to see this happen to R/C racing as well. On a side note, as I read through this and other forums, I can't help but notice the majority of the discourse relates to the cars themselves, and this is all well and good. But at some point you have to decide that the car is good. Reliability and proper set-up is all I want or need. After that, it's all about my skills as a driver and becoming comfortable with the car. I can't do that if I'm constantly making changes to the car. Then it's primarily about maintainance and upkeep. I don't expect to spend more than one hour working on the car for, say, four hours of practice and racing. We'll see how it goes. By the way, I'm not as concerned about winning as I am about having fun. But that's just me.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Lol, I made a similar thread when I started this hobby 3 month ago.
I refuse to run those TC ugly bodies and all I was running was my favorite cars in real life: GTRs, Supras, etc.
I mean the only reason for me to started this hobby is because I love real cars and I owned / still own a few sports cars in my life.
But after getting better and better at driving my car, I found myself changing the perspective on body shells.
I found that all I care about is getting fast and faster. I am always chasing the best possible time I could achieve on track, and to achieve that, a GT body just simply can't do it( for me at least).

Maybe you will feel the same way after a few months too. But I think personalities have something to do with it too. I , myself, is just a high competitive person in everything I play, being real car race, rc cars, video games, soccer or basketball.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by born2build
Heretic Wow! That was harsh. I'm not "whining", it's more like lamenting.
I'm sorry, maybe I came across as rude. My apologies. I did mean everything I said, just... in a polite way.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
The major changes are the chassis that runs from in front of the front axle to behind the rear axle, no reactive caster and narrow rear tires/tyres. In GT12 everyone has the presumption that the Ascari is the best body, when in reality, the PF or the Ferrari can win on any given day. So there is some diversity. The Audi is decent too, but hasn't been given a chance. The others I've not mentioned are top heavy like the original Porsche and Lotus.

And yes it is competitive, and fun.
No reactive caster? I'm not sure how else to qualify the supastox front end then... The one that looks like a Corally front beam. Looks like reactive caster to me. Not that the rule makes any kind of sense anyway; it has been shown time and time again that reactive caster is not needed to be competitive in 1/12.

Narrower rear tires... Yeah, that was one of the the slight differences I was referring to. Except it ended up being regular 1/12 wheels that were cut to width, with the need to buy specific hubs. So... how does this rule serve any purpose at all? It's just 1/12 as is has always been, except more annoying than usual because it's a new standard. It's still foam tires soaked in chemicals, you still have to true them, they still cost a fortune.

As for bodies... all I ever see on race reports is the Protoform one. Or so I thought, since you're bringing to my attention that other manufacturers have bodies with the same shape. Not sure how that is crucially more "diverse" compared to a speed 6 VS a LTCR vs a Dart...

Sorry if I went slightly off topic.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Don't like tc bodies.
So People over here invented a new class almost like vta, but with any make/model "real" car in their racing form or in street form, no dish wheels and no slicks...
I keep changin bodies, even thogh I know wich ones work best, just for fun...
Planning on buying a minivan body, just to see peoples faces
But I really understand competitiveness, I always take all of my bodies, just in case I need to go faster....
Old 02-16-2016, 05:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Wow, that is a spectacular photo! Now back to your regularly scheduled program...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.