Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 10:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jonest
Yes, I'm running short arm with C/C front and XA/E on the rear..... Gonna try XA/F tomorrow and see how it goes, but I'm still running 2pc top... hmmmm... perhaps I could swap the WE over and see how it handles...

Thanks mate.
Give it a go, but the people I know that have tried 3.5 deg of rear toe haven't liked it. I've run C/C XA/E for ages now & find it works basically everywhere on tarmac
Old 03-15-2009, 01:01 AM
Tech Adept

HAs anyone else here got a 416WE for sale?! Please let me know
Old 03-15-2009, 09:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ricky/C
So how long? What good is the car if there is no parts support?
Tamiya not have said that !
Old 03-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Ricky/C
And whats your point? 415 took 2nd and 3rd at regionsls, dont even know about further down...

The world champ drives a 416 cant touch that
Hmmm... ok chap.. with out sounding rude.....

firstly.... regionals with how many drivers in "stock" johnson 540 class ?
right.... secondly ,what car came first ?

Dont get my wrong if you didnt read what i said or didnt understand it , i dont know . as i said in our country with foams on tar "usually" , at the Nats (not the little regionals).

the only way to get the car(416) decent is to upgrade the bottom and top decks. I started racing with tamiya and still
love that brand but if you understand any thing about setting up a car you will know that the std kits (not carpet spec) is usually slow on our surfaces.....

how many tamiyas came top 3 at "any" nats last year ?

In za you can hope to pick up the pieces with 416 (any edition) . you can have a hope if you put about $150 more into the car.

About the world champion.... MarcR is the best driver!!
You will never sniff the same car he had at the worlds,
even if it says worlds edition.
and besides its run on rubber not foam (correct me if im wrong there is no foam spec 416)....

so if you wanna make believe in 27T or 540 class with the 416 be my guest...

in ending... i will probably buy one for MOD.....
Old 03-15-2009, 02:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ok, so does the IIC in Vegas count? Ok, the 416 did not win but 6th, 8th and 10th (3 cars in the A) for a team that, as far as I know, did only one (!) foam race the whole season is not too bad. Sure, I am not so sure what chassis and top deck they were running but since, as you so rightly point out, Tamiya does not have a specific foam car I would not be surprised they did not have very thick chassis.

The only chassis I know of that the team has as an option is a 2.5mm chassis, a whopping 0.25mm difference. It'll help but I am quite sure the car will be quite decent with the standard chassis with all the screws in. You may not win the IIC with it, but that is not what the guy asked is it?
Old 03-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1rcracer

Dont get my wrong if you didnt read what i said or didnt understand it , i dont know . as i said in our country with foams on tar "usually" , at the Nats (not the little regionals).

the only way to get the car(416) decent is to upgrade the bottom and top decks. I started racing with tamiya and still
love that brand but if you understand any thing about setting up a car you will know that the std kits (not carpet spec) is usually slow on our surfaces.....

In za you can hope to pick up the pieces with 416 (any edition) . you can have a hope if you put about $150 more into the car.

and besides its run on rubber not foam (correct me if im wrong there is no foam spec 416)....

A few excillent points my good man. But in defence I would have to say that I have witnessed an 05MS with foams on it and no one could "sniff" that one either. (good one BTW) sniff For as much as anyone cares about what I think, I would bet my 416WE could be dialed on foam. But then again, FOAM IS FOR PAN CARS! Sorry , didn't mean to shout. U.S. speck cars should have different ackerman for driving around the end of 2x4's. Thats about it.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1rcracer

to get the PHI working at all you have to get TRF shocks and the corally lipo tray... there's $150 before you even consider setup

416 is the best car on rubber regardless of surface - how else would a 15yo kid hand it to the "best driver". TC on foam barely exists outside the US, so it's no surprise that Tamiya don't bother with a foam spec car
Old 03-15-2009, 04:20 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

TC on carpet with foams is so dead it's really not even worth considering anymore. Sure, it's still got pockets of popularity in the US, but the popularity has declined dramatically, while rubber tire has easily already surpassed it in the US and then some. Look at the biggest classes at the US races and you'll see what I mean. There are manufacturers making purpose-built foam cars for a dying market, so why would Tamiya bother with that instead of focusing on the growing popularity of rubber? It makes no sense.

I was at IIC, and watched the TRF guys in foam. To be honest, I didn't really get the impression they were taking the class as seriously as rubber, since they were using it to test out new things, like LiPo. It seemed like they were struggling a bit to figure out setup, which doesn't surprise me considering they never run it, and foam tire setups are pretty different (and unintuitive). In spite of all that, they still managed to beat some US drivers that have cars made for foam, and a lot more experience with them.

I have no doubt the 416 could be a good foam car with the right parts, just like the T2'009 is with the right parts. But complaining about it is like taking a T2'009 rubber spec and saying it's not a good foam car. Of course it's not, it isn't supposed to be. Neither is the 416. I'm sure Tamiya will look at the 800 1st place trophies they've won in the last year at all the top races and not worry too much about missing out on winning a foam race in someone's basement.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Old 03-15-2009, 10:25 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I switched to 46mm bones up front (from 44mm) and my spool outdrives lasted through the roughest racing I've ever been a part of.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:42 PM
Tech Adept

the very root cause of all the frustration is that the racers in South Africa still race foams, which as you have rightly put it, are dying..... Fact. it makes me wonder what sort of people are controlling the sport in SA what sort of commercial interests they have...SHOCKING
Old 03-15-2009, 10:48 PM
Tech Adept

ok so my rant is over - i would like to know if i should stick with the spool the car comes with or if i should change to the oneway? and also has anyone got mod setup with foams/asphalt that i could try bulid the car to? my 416 WE is on the plane...... and could meybe be flying it
Old 03-15-2009, 11:42 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sagejyoung
ok so my rant is over - i would like to know if i should stick with the spool the car comes with or if i should change to the oneway? and also has anyone got mod setup with foams/asphalt that i could try bulid the car to? my 416 WE is on the plane...... and could meybe be flying it
A lot of guys are going to say that spool is the way to go, especially on asphalt. I think that usually, a spool will be faster. But I've found that the new track around here is different. I've been trying to get my 416 dialed for the track with a spool to no avail. The track has a 75' straight, a tight infield, and some banked turns. Once I took out my old TA05R with a one-way for a spin, I found that it was much faster on the infield and that it handles the banks much better than my 416 with a spool.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:51 PM
Tech Adept

We dont have to run foam?! I'll run rubber! And too bad a TRF beat you at regionals too... Now you're gonna say Skitee is just as good as Marc Rheihard. Well maybe he is
Old 03-15-2009, 11:53 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by sagejyoung
If you are gonna run in mod the spool should be fine. A diff might be easier and for stock classess I would get a one way correct me if I'm wrong, but thats what works for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.