Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree172Likes

Standard TC vs Gizmo vs Awesomatix

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Last edited by 30Tooth; 12-02-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

@sps3172 - Ordered - Thank you. Glad too see I'm not the only one being confused. Thanks for providing the ref.

I've used this one lately: caveat, this is a pretty dry read

Weight Transfer: how it works and how to use it in setup
Old 11-30-2018, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

One major difference between real cars and RC cars is the tires. Real car tires give diminishing returns with more normal force. I've been told by an experienced and fast racer who did FSAE in college, that RC car rubber tires either don't, or we aren't loading them enough to get into the range of diminishing returns. Which is why a lot of TC tuning is counter-intuitive vs real car tuning, like going to stiffer springs on the rear to increase rear grip.

I'm still not 100% sure I believe that, though, because some things like a softer front bar giving more mid corner steering still align with normal car tuning.

Regarding CG height... TCs generally have a spool front axle, and lots of rear toe. If you don't get the load off the inside wheels while turning, you've got tons of scrub that's working against getting the car around the corner. In high grip, there's plenty of grip to transfer the load, and the limiting factor is keeping the car shiny side up, and responsive in left/right transitions. Low CG helps that. In very low grip, it's more likely that you're going to have trouble getting the weight to transfer, and the car to roll to square up the outside tire, so a higher CG might help with that. Especially if you want to try to stay stiff to generate heat in the tires.

I also think what someone else said about sometimes being more about visually being able to tell what the car is doing is also true. I know I've often preferred more droop to let the car roll more, just because it's easier to see what it's doing.
Horatio and jlfx car audio like this.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

In low/medium grip we've found a heavier regular weight body was faster than lightweight.
Good thing with a very low CG Awesomatix, we can run regular weight bodies for low grip conditions. And slap on weights high up (e.g. roof) to induce the right amount of roll and have a good driving feel.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I now have a headache reading all the personal bias and chest beating. Ive driven both cars mostly debated and they both have their ups and downs. I’ve driven dialed A800’s and others that Didn’t feel so great. My personal car is a Mugen and I have out driven most no matter what they drove. I did see a local with an Xray go from bottom A driver to I couldnt catch him last time out with his A800 which was well setup. At the end of the day we run what we can get parts for or our friends all run it. This thread needs to get back to actually helping explain the differences between the cars mentioned on the track more so than engineers being called out.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:18 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lonestar
Can an engineer (not a keyboard engineer, but a proper engineer) please explain once and for all why a higher CG would yield mechanical grip? Or am I misunderstanding the above?

Because pretty much all 1:1 scale suspension setup theory says more weight transfer means more skidding on that axle...

I know it's a sacred cow in RC that more roll = more grip, I've heard this for 20+ years now... someone please point me to a physics book or some kind of web resource where this is modeled/described for RC cars. I can call out a couple of very serious car engineering books that say the opposite

I have nothing about the awesomatix, mind you. I just finished building my T4 '19 yesterday for its first race tomorrow, not because I am a fanboi, but because I'm a casual racer really, and I'd happily trade an hypothetical tenth per lap for reliability and part support

Cheers all,

Paul
Hey Paul
Sorry for confusing . I realized I typed cg instead of RC Roll center ... plus there other things like Droop for weight transfer make the differences
Old 12-02-2018, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Even with all the talk and chest beating. I still have not figured out which I am getting at the end of January to prep for the Nats, lol.
Rick Vessell likes this.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chensleyrc1
Even with all the talk and chest beating. I still have not figured out which I am getting at the end of January to prep for the Nats, lol.
what class are you running for the nats? If you’re running 17.5 or USGT there are plenty of fast locals I can put you intouch with that can point you in the right direction. If you’re running mod there are also fast locals running both. My home track is Speedworld Raceway where the nats will be held at. It’s up to you to decide and only you know what kind of driver you are. Be honest with yourself though. If you brush the occasional barrier then maybe Xray is the way to go for durability. If you’re capable of lights out racing then push your luck and go Awesomatix. Things is......if you cant drive consistently the Awesomatix wont make you any better since some seem to think this car was dipped in gold😆😆😆😆😆. Either way good luck and look for STLNLST when you come to the nats 👍🏽 I’ll be the guy running the BD9 having a blast in the pits just enjoying this great hobby.

chensleyrc1 likes this.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STLNLST

what class are you running for the nats? If you’re running 17.5 or USGT there are plenty of fast locals I can put you intouch with that can point you in the right direction. If you’re running mod there are also fast locals running both. My home track is Speedworld Raceway where the nats will be held at. It’s up to you to decide and only you know what kind of driver you are. Be honest with yourself though. If you brush the occasional barrier then maybe Xray is the way to go for durability. If you’re capable of lights out racing then push your luck and go Awesomatix. Things is......if you cant drive consistently the Awesomatix wont make you any better since some seem to think this car was dipped in gold😆😆😆😆😆. Either way good luck and look for STLNLST when you come to the nats 👍🏽 I’ll be the guy running the BD9 having a blast in the pits just enjoying this great hobby.

Thanks for the offer, but the Nats I was talking about was going to be at my home track, ProLevelRC, where the ROAR Indoor Nationals are held this year. If I can squirrel the cash away, I would love to goto the paved Nats too, lol. I have pretty much ran XRay most of my TC career, especially once Drew started with RCAmerica. The last non-Xray TC I raced was a AE-TC5.something, lol. XRay is a no brainer with who I race with, but was intrigued by the AMX, but also kind of intimidated by it, for some reason.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

This is my new non-Xray; Genesis similar ride. Half price compare to either one.

glennhl likes this.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:10 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

How is the quality?
Old 12-04-2018, 11:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan
How is the quality?
Actually it's pretty good. It comes with metal outdrive, metal steering, battery mount (I modified mine to reduce weight). Graphite arms and the sway bars make it unique. The additional screws on the split top deck and under motor mount can make the car very spiff.

Dan likes this.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcguyfpr
This is my new non-Xray; Genesis similar ride. Half price compare to either one.

Where can you buy this car?
Old 12-04-2018, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan
How is the quality?
the quality is good the front hubs are very weak when I tried it out about a year ago . 3racing aluminum ones were a great replacement . I also modified the rear and installed a ARS system for it.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by glennhl
Where can you buy this car?
Bartolo Racing is the US Distributor for race opt if you get it make sure you get some front spare hubs and also instal the Xray hard bumper

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.