Losi vs AE vs Mugen vs Xray

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi vs AE vs Mugen vs Xray

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 10:00 AM
Tech Adept

4 shocks, tires and an engine, it's mostly up to the driver. these cars don't drive them selves.
FYI: I still kick some tail with my mugen athlete
Old 02-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by geejay
Im not talkin bout drivers - Im talking about the actual car it self...... and the fact that people say mugen sucks, losi sucks, this and that sucks. and to be honest if xray was the better car, then why is it out sold 20 to 1 here in the US. I would think that real racers would buy it regardless of who drives what, if it was so superior.
about 80% of the people at my local track drive losi. I would say less then 50% even know what an xray is but they will sure recommend a losi to you and tell you its the best and the only thing you should drive. Thats the mentality of many people unfortunately. If something is better they wouldnt know it until everyone else started to drive it.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Im not talkin bout drivers - Im talking about the actual car it self...... and the fact that people say mugen sucks, losi sucks, this and that sucks. and to be honest if xray was the better car, then why is it out sold 20 to 1 here in the US. I would think that real racers would buy it regardless of who drives what, if it was so superior.
Cause people like you make purchase decisions based on who is on the podium. This is why AE/Losi spend a ton of money to have an army of drivers to use their products. Marketing 101.

The reality is that those drivers would win regardless of what they are driving.

However, for racers who are serious about the hobby/sport but lack the natural talent of the very best pro's, things like kit quality and finish are important, especially since they aren't getting a ton of free parts to replace sloppy arms and the like after a few club races.

Owing a Losi, Xray, Hot Bodies, and Associated cars I can assure you that Xray is a step above QUALITY wise. The others aren't even remotely comparable. The car doesn't make me any faster, but I don't have to worry about it breaking, slop, and you can tell the difference in materials. It may not be important to some folks, but it is to me.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:13 AM
Tech Master

Duratrax FTW!!
Old 02-26-2010, 10:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated
Cause people like you make purchase decisions based on who is on the podium. This is why AE/Losi spend a ton of money to have an army of drivers to use their products. Marketing 101.

The reality is that those drivers would win regardless of what they are driving.

However, for racers who are serious about the hobby/sport but lack the natural talent of the very best pro's, things like kit quality and finish are important, especially since they aren't getting a ton of free parts to replace sloppy arms and the like after a few club races.

Owing a Losi, Xray, Hot Bodies, and Associated cars I can assure you that Xray is a step above QUALITY wise. The others aren't even remotely comparable. The car doesn't make me any faster, but I don't have to worry about it breaking, slop, and you can tell the difference in materials. It may not be important to some folks, but it is to me.

Cause people like me....... hahahahahaha........ First of all I been running a Losi since Losi came out with the 8ight. I have not raced anything else. I have nothing bad to say about any of the companies listed. Im just tired of seeing people say this sucks and that sucks. Again, if Xray is so above everything else, why isnt more RACERS running them? It just seems that more people would be driving the better car.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:39 AM
Tech Addict

Default You Are Missing The Point

Nobody said Xray is faster just superior Losi is owned by the largest hobby supplier in the world-Big$$. So what is the your LHS going to keep in stock. Xray is made by a small independent company in some small obscure european counrtry say like FerrariThink of Losi as goverment owned union backed GM. Xray supports alot of B team guys. The guys that can win regularly at local and regional events. This a cost effective way of marketting. I have owned a D8,MBX6 and now XB808. Heres my 2 cents from personal experience. The D8 has/had losts of issues-cvds-towers-ect. There are more mods needed to get them up to speed(check the forum-biggest here) So the low entry is misleading-tall rear tower& shocks $100. I had several failures and have seen others have similiar problems. I personally would not buy another. The car is fast in the hands of thier talented team. The MBX6 is the fastest car I have owned. Only issue is pivot ball can be weak in some crashes and chassis flex-easily fixed w/quick change extended motor mount. No mods needed to get it up front. If Mugen put c-hubs on the 6 I would buy 1 in a heart beat. The Xb808 is bullet proof.(knock on wood) I have not broken anything!!!! And I crash hard and often. Just ask anyone who races with me. Top shelf quality. I have upgraded to 09 specs but didn't have issues prior. They just refined a already great product. Still working on getting it as fast as my 6. But getting close! Alot of local guys have tried others but all come back.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Ok here's the correct answer to this question.

Here in America every big company with money will get the best (top 5 drivers/ect) and use them for one as a way to say there car is the beat cause a guy like Cavalieri could win using any decent car, but here is what the great drivers do over the good drivers, they make the car better! Adam drake tests out new parts every time he practices. Everytime he goes to a track the guy is trying something newer and more improved, sometimes it can be just minor set up changes and sometimes it can be as big as trying the engine turned around on the chassis. What I'm saying is even in motorcross/supercross the hondas n Kawasaki's Suzuki all got the best riders n the riders helped evolve that bike like Suzuki there bikes absoluty sucked in 2004 but when Carmichael went there the bikes became the best, do u think that happened on accident? Look at yamaha this year compared to last year there bikes r 100% better I know cause I race one at a really high level and I can say it's because Stewart had there bikes designed better for what he likes not some jap that is as fast as a novice. So like I said when u have cav Truhe drake hara mayfeild and tebo using a certain product just know it's going to improve more and more because those guys arnt just driving there cars cleaning them and putting them away till the nxt driving day there using all diff stuff to test.

Now I will say this, a losi is great on a tight supercross style track while an xray will work good on a more wide open track. I for 1 loved the way my rc8b-rc8t worked in bumpy tracks but still the mp9 and strr were the bees knees on a bumpy track. I think the new era cars r being designed for the new tipes of tracks with big bore shocks and everything pushed forward they work good on jumps and tracks that have bumps still. They older cars will feel wayyyy more stable do to the fast everything more spread around the chassis making the back of the car lock in making bumpy tracks not so hard to drive on. It's all in what u want really if ur a new driver I would say an strr would feel bomb but for top level drivers the 2.0 and rc8b work really good cause there really aggressive. I for 1 love my Tamiya it has the best of all that with there buggy but there truck is still improving.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:43 AM
Tech Master

Cause people like me....... hahahahahaha........ First of all I been running a Losi since Losi came out with the 8ight. I have not raced anything else. I have nothing bad to say about any of the companies listed. Im just tired of seeing people say this sucks and that sucks. Again, if Xray is so above everything else, why isnt more RACERS running them? It just seems that more people would be driving the better car.

I have owned and raced the RC8T, 8T 2.0 and MBX6-T. All were great in their own right...... Lap times...well that is another topic.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default to the original question.....

All the cars re fast, it's just the losi and hot bodies cars are made with cheaper materials and wear out faster than the xray and mugen, associated is in the middle.....
Old 02-26-2010, 11:18 AM
Tech Regular

I see it both ways. There is tons of backlash towards Losi right now since they make the most popular product. It seems "cool" to say that "Losi sucks" and run something different. I think they are all good and competitive, but I pick Losi because they have offered me the best support of any company in the hobby. It helps that I can get almost any part in 1 day or less too.

I might be slightly quicker with another brand, but my overall experience is better with Losi due to their support.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Yes, people like you because your actions are exactly what the companies want. You obviously like Losi and know that they have a phenomenal roster of drivers. They are on the podium every week, but you don't understand if other brands are so good why they aren't on the podium. Note, I am not saying this to be derogatory.

It has nothing to do with what cars are on the podium at a certain level. Drake, Truhe, or whoever would run circles around 99% of club racers with a Thunder Tiger from 1999, no matter what we drive. Their fuel is irrelevant. So are they tires. So everything else. Because no matter what they are running, they are still going to beat us! However, mfg's know that subliminally, we (the many thousands of racers that suck, but love every minute of club racing) still will buy what those guys run on the off chance that it might make us faster.

Losi, Associated, etc are running BUSINESSES. They understand that many people make their purchase decisions based on what better drivers race, therefore they sponsor them to give the brand more exposure.

Some companies on the other hand are NICHE players and they focus on just making a better specialized product such as Mugen or Xray. Losi, Associated, HB, Ofna, etc are GOOD ENOUGH, but not really the best when it comes to QUALITY. Quality is different from being faster.

A vette can be faster than a porsche. However, no one would ever compare the low rent plastic interior of a vette to the plushness/luxury of a 911. See the difference?

I race a Losi truggy every weekend, so no I ain't bashing Losi.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Edumakated
Yes, people like you because your actions are exactly what the companies want. You obviously like Losi and know that they have a phenomenal roster of drivers. They are on the podium every week, but you don't understand if other brands are so good why they aren't on the podium. Note, I am not saying this to be derogatory.

It has nothing to do with what cars are on the podium at a certain level. Drake, Truhe, or whoever would run circles around 99% of club racers with a Thunder Tiger from 1999, no matter what we drive. Their fuel is irrelevant. So are they tires. So everything else. Because no matter what they are running, they are still going to beat us! However, mfg's know that subliminally, we (the many thousands of racers that suck, but love every minute of club racing) still will buy what those guys run on the off chance that it might make us faster.

Losi, Associated, etc are running BUSINESSES. They understand that many people make their purchase decisions based on what better drivers race, therefore they sponsor them to give the brand more exposure.

Some companies on the other hand are NICHE players and they focus on just making a better specialized product such as Mugen or Xray. Losi, Associated, HB, Ofna, etc are GOOD ENOUGH, but not really the best when it comes to QUALITY. Quality is different from being faster.

A vette can be faster than a porsche. However, no one would ever compare the low rent plastic interior of a vette to the plushness/luxury of a 911. See the difference?

I race a Losi truggy every weekend, so no I ain't bashing Losi.
Now Im just getting pissed, I am not talking about one freaking company. On this fourm several times, some one will bring up a company and then someone would say oh that sucks.....

Why does it suck? I dont believe that one company is better than another. I have seen my share of xrays broken, I have seen mugen broken, hell tebo just broke an a-arm in the mains, I dont care what no one say, they all break.
Last summer I broke one part on my losi just 1. If you drive like a pu$$y around the track your not going to break nothing. Me I haul ass, which some of you will see in July, not saying Im the best, Im not, point is my Losi takes a beating everytime Im on the track. I have seen every car, ever truck, ever compnay sh!t break, so lets stop with all the indestructable stuff.
When a person say that a certian car sucks, how do they come to that conclusion? its alot of that here. I hear that AE sucks, But regardless they are on the podium in the USA. If the others are better, then why are they not racin? You just cant say something sucks with out proof of why it sucks. It could be the company, it could be word of mouth. Hell I know alot of guys that brought a losi as their first car, then sold it and got an AE or Mugen ect.

If I started this saying which on is better - there would be 10 pages of people sayin this is better or that is better and the others suck. Its alot harder to say why it sucks. Why they dont sell in the US? And Im not saying anything sucks. They all have their +'s and -'s. I just dont like seeing people saying everything sucks.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Now Im just getting pissed, I am not talking about one freaking company. On this fourm several times, some one will bring up a company and then someone would say oh that sucks.....

Why does it suck? I dont believe that one company is better than another. I have seen my share of xrays broken, I have seen mugen broken, hell tebo just broke an a-arm in the mains, I dont care what no one say, they all break.
Last summer I broke one part on my losi just 1. If you drive like a pu$$y around the track your not going to break nothing. Me I haul ass, which some of you will see in July, not saying Im the best, Im not, point is my Losi takes a beating everytime Im on the track. I have seen every car, ever truck, ever compnay sh!t break, so lets stop with all the indestructable stuff.
When a person say that a certian car sucks, how do they come to that conclusion? its alot of that here. I hear that AE sucks, But regardless they are on the podium in the USA. If the others are better, then why are they not racin? You just cant say something sucks with out proof of why it sucks. It could be the company, it could be word of mouth. Hell I know alot of guys that brought a losi as their first car, then sold it and got an AE or Mugen ect.

If I started this saying which on is better - there would be 10 pages of people sayin this is better or that is better and the others suck. Its alot harder to say why it sucks. Why they dont sell in the US? And Im not saying anything sucks. They all have their +'s and -'s. I just dont like seeing people saying everything sucks.
its called being a fanboy. if somebody isint running the same equipment as them, then "they/it/whatever" sucks because its not what they have.

you should see the xbox, playstation fanboy wars. you think this is pathetic
Old 02-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Question: Not trying to start a war here ( I know its started), but I hear alot about the Xray, Mugen buggies and how much better they are than the Losi and AE, But why dont I see either of them on the podium here in the US. Im not talkin bout club races where only 8 sportsmans showed up. Im talkin about big races.... And I dont care what class or division....
I just think that if a person wants to claim somethings better, then it needs to be proof of that product being better - like stats, testing, trophies, ect.
Are reading what anyone is even posting? No one said any brand SUCKS. Different brands have varying marketing strategies, budgets, and customer bases. Some brands are more mass market while others are niche players. Some brands focus on quality while some focus price while others play the middle of the road. There are legitimate differences between the varying brands and depending on your opinions these can be strengths or weaknesses. My Xray is way better quality wise than either my ve8 or rc8. However, I get more support for the rc8/ve8 locally and the parts are cheaper. But both those cars break more often than my 808. It is a trade off. Doesn't mean they suck, but just different business strategy.

Read this next sentence real slow...

All of the cars are good enough to win on any given day.
What separates the winners from the losers at the pro level is the DRIVER. Drake will still win regardless if he is with Losi, Kyosho, Xray, or some brand no one even knows.

The reason you see so much Associated/Losi at the top is because they are larger companies and they have the budgets to pay the very best drivers to keep their cars on the podium. Again, marketing 101. Just because a PAID driver uses a product does not make it the best. However, many people will still buy the products just because they can claim a certain number of wins.

You can't solely rely on statistics to indicate that one car is better or worse than another because the statistics don't tell the whole story.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Really good info if you read between the lines.

My .02 cents is if I want quality then I start shopping around for a Xray, Mugen, Kyosho, and maybe Tamiya now.

If I want something in the states that I can get my hands on parts and a great setup for my track easy then I look at Losi and AE.

They all can be fast if you find one that you believe in and suits your driving style in some remote way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.