Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
HPI Cup Racer 1M >

HPI Cup Racer 1M

Like Tree2Likes

HPI Cup Racer 1M

Old 03-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi guys, are the cup racer spurs standard touring car spurs?
I figured I could ask here since I don't have one of these.

I'd like to use the 65t spur on a touring car but on the towerhobbies site it says it's for the cup racer.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBSJS&P=7

I wonder if the inner hole is the same diameter as other 48pitch spurs, or if it's specific to the cup racer onlu. there may be a 1mm diference according the cup racer manual but i'm not entirely sure. Anybody care to measure the inner hole if you have a chance?

thanks for any help
Old 03-06-2012, 08:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rufus2000
Hi guys, are the cup racer spurs standard touring car spurs?
I figured I could ask here since I don't have one of these.

I'd like to use the 65t spur on a touring car but on the towerhobbies site it says it's for the cup racer.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBSJS&P=7

I wonder if the inner hole is the same diameter as other 48pitch spurs, or if it's specific to the cup racer onlu. there may be a 1mm diference according the cup racer manual but i'm not entirely sure. Anybody care to measure the inner hole if you have a chance?

thanks for any help
Yes, they're standard 48 pitch... i ran the 60T 48P from Robinson racing on mine.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

great! thanks for the heads-up
I will give them a try...
Old 03-07-2012, 11:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Any suggestions on motor, esc + battery pack? Would like to keep it to 100-150 for the motor + esc. I may race, may not. If I do, it would be @ norcalhobbies for those familiar.

As for the radio, i'm thinking of a 3PL, or something similar. I chose the stand up method for the servo while making it.

I finished my rolling chasis today. its a little rough and doesnt go completely smooth roll. Will probably take the gear differentials out and see which one it is. Have a full GPM aluminum set coming as well.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eR1c
I was really upset to hear that sales of the CR'r weren't doing well and that it's been discontinued...
Stop freaking people out!

I emailed HPI directly, as I desperately want a Datsun 510 kit (my Mom sold her 2door when I was 15...)

Originally Posted by HPI Customer Service
"Thank you for contacting HPI Racing and Hot Bodies. The Datsun Cup Racer has NOT been discontinued and we are still selling it (even though it is on backorder.) If you are unable to find a retailer that carries it You can order it through us. If you have any further question feel free to contact us.
Travis Velez | Customer Service Representative"
Old 03-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dazed1
Any suggestions on motor, esc + battery pack? Would like to keep it to 100-150 for the motor + esc. I may race, may not. If I do, it would be @ norcalhobbies for those familiar.

As for the radio, i'm thinking of a 3PL, or something similar. I chose the stand up method for the servo while making it.

I finished my rolling chasis today. its a little rough and doesnt go completely smooth roll. Will probably take the gear differentials out and see which one it is. Have a full GPM aluminum set coming as well.
Go to www.amainhobbies.com

Look for the Citrix esc combo by speed passion, they're under $100
Old 03-10-2012, 03:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Some may frown on this but I got all my gear at Hobby Partz . com

I'm running the 35A Hobbywing ESC $29.64
Tacon 2230kv & 3500kv motors. They're on sale $34 now $24
and a Gens Ace 4000mah battery.
I got the Fly Sky GT3B radio for $35. It's a decent 3 channel 2.4 w/ a nice big LCD screen on the top. However the radio has been known to have an expo issue which I have corrected by reflashing the unit, but if expo control is not an issue for you I highly recommend this radio.

I haven't had any issue with anything I've purchased from them, I don't see why anyone would spend more unless they're just a really great driver.

On the rolling issue with the binding, mine did the same and I just tore it down and reassembled. Make sure inside the diffs have plenty of grease because that was my cause.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm thinking of picking up an ezrun brushless combo. Not sure on how many turn motor i want. Not sure how that stuff works either?

www . nitro r c x .com/ezrun-brushless-system-combo-b2-w--35a-esc.html
thinking of this combo:
EZRUN-35AESC, 9T@4300KV
(EZRUN-3650M Motor)
Old 03-11-2012, 05:30 AM
Tech Elite

If you're going to race at Norcal or Fast Pace Racing then I would take Raman's advice and look at the Cirtix Stock Spec 17.5T combo.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Sydewynder
If you're going to race at Norcal or Fast Pace Racing then I would take Raman's advice and look at the Cirtix Stock Spec 17.5T combo.
hhmmm.. thanks. Can you explain the difference? I'm a complete noob to electric.

I'm not able to call Norcal since i'm traveling out of the country, and want to order it so that i can have something by the time I come back
Old 03-11-2012, 10:26 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

FPR has a spec rule for people to run the Cirtix combo in minis. Keeps racing affordable and close. Most of the guys are running that in the bay.

Keep in mind Norcal does not really have an active mini class, you'll need minimum of 3 people to run the class.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:26 AM
Tech Initiate

and the citrix esc is out of stock @ amain
Old 03-11-2012, 10:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Dan
FPR has a spec rule for people to run the Cirtix combo in minis. Keeps racing affordable and close. Most of the guys are running that in the bay.

Keep in mind Norcal does not really have an active mini class, you'll need minimum of 3 people to run the class.
Which is what I thought about Norcal. Last time I went (about 2 weeks ago), there were 2 folks with minis. Thats when I fell in love with the CR.

Does Norcal have restrictions on esc/motor?
Old 03-11-2012, 10:36 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Which is what I thought about Norcal. Last time I went (about 2 weeks ago), there were 2 folks with minis. Thats when I fell in love with the CR.

Does Norcal have restrictions on esc/motor?
They are not too strict on the mini class from what I have heard. I think as long as you run a 17.5 motor and a non ramping ESC, it should be okay. I know that FPR is allowing other NR ESCs due to the Cirtix shortage, but the Cirtix motors are readily available so they insist that you run it. From what I hear, Speed Passion should be getting more in stock soon.

If you ever want to run minis, just post a roll call on www.rcracing.com and a few Norcal guys may dust off their minis and bring it to race day. I would honestly be out there more often if they had a more active F1 and mini class. Otherwise, I will be at the next FPR race running mini.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

The Cirtix Club Spec is the system the tracks are specifying that the minis should use. Its a no timing advance esc and lock timing motor. Its to make sure that no one has an advantage in speed and that its all about car setup and driver skill. ----->Spec Class.
This system is also sensored as opposed to the hobbywing ezrun that you are looking at which makes it smoother at low speeds.

Cirtix 17.5t club spec:

1. No electronic timing advance esc
2. Mechanical timing on motor locked
3. 17.5T motor it a standard for a ROAR approved class
4. Sensored system for smooth low speed, no cogging

Hobbywing EZRun 9T:

1. Can vary timing electronically in the esc
2. Mechanical timing on motor locked
3. 9T motor and esc not ROAR approved
4. Sensorless system can cog under low speed
5. This is faster than above

Do get me wrong, the Hobbywing EZRun is a great system (I have one) but its not one that is used for racing at those tracks for the mini cars.

I would confirm with Norcal and Fast Pace Racing what they want the racers to use before you buy so you don't end buying twice.......if you intend to race.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.