Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STS .28 pull-start engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 08:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Default hello all

Hey Dino, I lost my head shims for my .28 . Is there a place where I can purchase new ones ? thnx FOMOCO007
Old 09-13-2005, 08:20 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by FOMOCO007
Hey Dino, I lost my head shims for my .28 . Is there a place where I can purchase new ones ? thnx FOMOCO007

if you are in the US
www.racernine.com
Old 09-19-2005, 03:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks , received them today ! These STS engines are no joke ! I know my tranny will have a short life behind this .28
Old 09-19-2005, 04:32 PM
Nitro Tech

check it out!
http://www.rcpics.net/view_single.php?medid=65146
believe it or not? it is the same engine as yours. just replace with a water cooler head.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:07 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by FOMOCO007
Thanks , received them today ! These STS engines are no joke ! I know my tranny will have a short life behind this .28
you got your shims already? are you the guy in kentucky?
Old 09-20-2005, 08:56 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by dino.tw
check it out!
http://www.rcpics.net/view_single.php?medid=65146
believe it or not? it is the same engine as yours. just replace with a water cooler head.
NASTY !!!!!!!
Old 09-26-2005, 04:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Default kentucky hillbilly !

hey guys, ive been on vacation. Yeah I got them that day I posted that message ! fast.... That boat is really kicking it up ...WOW ! I wish I could get my .28 to run like that. I ran it for two or three tanks with the aluminum gasket gone after I lost it. (didnt realize at the time) The two copper ones i had but unfortunatly I think it may have claimed the life of my piston and sleeve But then again it would bogg out and smoke like crazy then die before also. Im not sure what gives....I wouldnt called it broken in by any means , but I have pulled the plug and turned it over and I feel VERY little resistance. From reading around here that tells me that it is somewhat loosening and lapping correct right ? It has amazing take off then if you keep it hammered it will die. even at halve throttle and perhaps less. and it always smokes real bad right before it dies...thnks guys.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:45 PM
Tech Adept

back your needles off and retune starting with the hsn first. remember to adj just a little at a time. when you get to the point that the motor dies at full rev with your hsn back it off to where it doesnt. then adj your lsn for good take off. also make sure your tank pressure line is in good condition and is about 6 to 8 inches long.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Default sts. power house

Can anyone tell me, how many gallons you run thru before rebuilding it.2,3,4 or so, looking at putting in tmaxx , tranny is full of robinson gears, rdl cvd's, seems like it should hold up, robinson diff is coming .
Old 09-27-2005, 06:36 PM
Tech Adept

the .28 we have used for racing has at least 4 gals thru it and has been tortured and ran at over 400 a couple times due to a binding diff. And it is still running strong and has tons of compression, So unless something major breaks I really dont know how many gals you could get out of a taken care of motor.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Cure for my STS.28

I fixed my problem with my sts .28. after all the problems I had with it, Pull start breaking, roto start breaking, oneway stopped working , even after super cleanning it 4 times, running 20% nitro/12% oil sidewinder fuel. OH it is only has had maybe 1.5 galloms through it. I bought a Collari .32 . WOW what a engine. it makes thet sts . 28 seem like a .12 compaired to it... plus rinning with 19/47 gearing. it only runs at 22o degrees all day long, so I took my sts . 28 out in my boat with me on the Hudson River here in NY. and used it as a fishing wight!! it is only what it was good for... and then it snagged on something under water.. OH well good place for it!
Old 10-01-2005, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

Some people can enjoy 12+gallons of use out of an engine. Some people never have trouble with rotostarts. I can't really comment on the STS .28 engine's durability as I don't own one. On this thread, Dino has gone out of his way to help people with their STS engines.

This probably isn't the most appropriate place to completely pan the STS in favour of an engine that costs nearly twice as much. It's a real shame you & your STS didn't get on.

It seems some have had alot of success with the STS - look at the race results from Ryan that posts here.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Here here! Dino, Ryan, and Glenn have been extremely helpful.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:21 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by skybolt58
I fixed my problem with my sts .28. after all the problems I had with it, Pull start breaking, roto start breaking, oneway stopped working , even after super cleanning it 4 times, running 20% nitro/12% oil sidewinder fuel. OH it is only has had maybe 1.5 galloms through it. I bought a Collari .32 . WOW what a engine. it makes thet sts . 28 seem like a .12 compaired to it... plus rinning with 19/47 gearing. it only runs at 22o degrees all day long, so I took my sts . 28 out in my boat with me on the Hudson River here in NY. and used it as a fishing wight!! it is only what it was good for... and then it snagged on something under water.. OH well good place for it!
It is too bad you have had such a bad experience with the .28 motor. But i am glad you are happy with the collari motor, it would suck to get another motor that didnt work out. It seems that no matter what brand you decide to go with there is always the chance of not being happy with it. I work at a chevy dealership and we get customers that love thier vehicles and others that absolutly hate them, To those we suggest maybe you ought to try a ford because it seems that no matter what you do to remedy thier problem they are unhappy.
Again glad you found a motor that works for you. This stuff is supposed to be fun afterall
Old 10-01-2005, 06:37 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Horatio
It seems some have had alot of success with the STS - look at the race results from Ryan that posts here.

I dont know if you guys have checked out the vids on racernine's sight but just for a little info if you have watched the mammoth mash2 vid where racernine is driving my mammoth and the wheel comes off right at the end.
That mammoth was powered by the sts.21b motor with a 12/17 cb and stock two speed trans. We would have easily won by at least two laps if the wheel thing wouldnt have happened. It totally outran everything there that night. Thats what got me hooked on sts motors I got that one off ebay for $135 and it was blowing by $300 sirio motors that night.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.