Choosing a Set-up Station, help needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 01:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Choosing a Set-up Station, help needed

Looking at a 1/10 on-road set up station and was considering this one:

http://www.activepowersports.com/int...ng-bag-c23291/

Any thoughts on this brand and options that may be a better choice? Is there a brand that is the preferred make and what makes them better than others?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:12 PM
Tech Master

Hudy

End of story!!!

Old 06-01-2014, 02:42 PM
Tech Master

Integy is ok, I prefer the Hudy systems, myself.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

The Hudy stuff is great, but..... $$$$$

I use one from Yeah Racing and it works fine and 1/2 the cost of the Hudy station. I have a Hudy station for 1/12 and its great but the cost for 1/10 is pretty steep. If your budget allows for it - great. If not, the 3racing and Yeah Racing ones are good alternatives. I'm a little leary of the Integy station but that's probably just my personal preferences.

Last edited by mikel33; 06-01-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hudy most accurate worth the price if you can afford it. My Yeah racing setup station collecting dust
Old 06-02-2014, 06:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chiefj48
Hudy

End of story!!!

Old 06-02-2014, 07:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yeah I've found it's all about the tolerances during the machining of the parts. Hudy is expensive for a reason, they machine parts at very tight tolerances...and they are Hudy

Others manufacture them cheaper because the tolerances can be looser which means your setup can be off slightly. It's all in what you can afford and how anal you are in your setup.

Keep in mind as well, you can put your car on one Hudy setup station and then use someone else's Hudy station and the readings will be different. The slightest fraction of a millimeter can throw off your setup in a big way. So whatever one you choose, stick with it so you start to get a feel for your cars setup.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:45 PM
Suspended

NIce I like....awesome

Last edited by lindalonger; 06-05-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Another vote for Hudy without a doubt. I avoid a lot of name brand crap because of hype, that isn't the case here.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Eh, I do just fine with my used Integy set I bought for a grand total of $25. I think it's more about having consistency when you setup your car. A setup station is gonna be slightly different than the quick camber gauges, but you could be successful with either one, so long as you're consistent.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Carnage9270
Yeah I've found it's all about the tolerances during the machining of the parts. Hudy is expensive for a reason, they machine parts at very tight tolerances...and they are Hudy

Others manufacture them cheaper because the tolerances can be looser which means your setup can be off slightly. It's all in what you can afford and how anal you are in your setup.

Keep in mind as well, you can put your car on one Hudy setup station and then use someone else's Hudy station and the readings will be different. The slightest fraction of a millimeter can throw off your setup in a big way. So whatever one you choose, stick with it so you start to get a feel for your cars setup.
I have to disagree here. The Hudy station is good because of its close tolerances and high precision which guarantees repetability of measurements and consistency of measurements from one setup station to the next. That is the quality of good measuring tools in general and that is what you pay for in a top of the range setup station. If you find the readings on the same setup varies from one Hudy station to the next, there is something wrong with one of them or both, or with the way you take your readings.

I will go on and say that you can do without a good setup station, but to replicate results reliably you need a good set of eyes, a good calliper, a good command of mathematics (trigonometry), a good set of setup wheels, a perfectly flat surface and enough time to calculate all the angles you can read directly on a setup board. The setup station removes the need for all of these (except for a good set of eyes, and perhaps a good calliper) but I agree that in time, you can become an expert mental calculator if you keep at it so you could perhaps do without a setup board.

A lesser quality instrument will display the shortcomings you'd expect (measurements will be different from one station to the next, and consistency/repeatability will be a lot lower) so you need to lower your expectations accordingly. Not a big problem, but if you're chasing some hidden problem you might find it difficult to pinpoint it without the accuracy afforded by a quality instrument.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

This is one item in onroad rc racing that shouldn't be disputed, if you're serious about having a really good setup. Now for the sake of just having a ok setup then buy what you like. The Hudy is the best and the rest are mediocre.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I owned the Yeah Racing station. One day, I started closely looking at the markings for the measurements, and with just my naked eye I could see inaccuracies in the spacing from one millimeter marker to the next. Maybe the one I got was a dud, but it was clearly inaccurate. I also own the 3racing station, and it does not swing freely on the bearings. I followed the directions to a tee and it simply does not fit very together very well. One of the corner tools is as it should be. The other three are bound up. Again, perhaps I have a dud or I may need to play with shims (the shims are another downside in my book, it makes for more of a pain with disassembly and assembly) to get it to work as the ones supplied do not seem to be thick enough to provide clearance. Instead, I bought a Hudy. This rapidly and completely ended my station woes!. I would highly recommend the Hudy to anybody. The quality is top notch, the markings are right, and it is very easy use. I would get the Hudy first rather than making the mistake I made where I tried to go the cheap route and it wound up costing me more ultimately.