Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paypal Scam!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 11:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

this really is great info especially for people who don't normally look out for this stuff.

wait a sec...........is this REALLY rctech???
Old 02-16-2006, 11:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you get one of these emails you can log into your paypal account and under the securities section it has a spot to contact them about spoof emails. mailto:[email protected] if you send a copy of the email to here they will investigate it. That's what I had to do when they got me. So Eric forward that email to them so they can get it checked out and taken care of.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

Have you sent a warning towards Paypal and Ebay? They recommend to report scam mails like this to iinvestigate this. I have setn reports in the past and never heard of the "scammers"anymore. Most of the time these are gangs from Somalia or other thirdworld countries to draw your bankaccount empty. Here in the Netherlands we've seen it several times and we were warned by the media. Be carefull with it.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrUnlimited
Have you sent a warning towards Paypal and Ebay? They recommend to report scam mails like this to iinvestigate this. I have setn reports in the past and never heard of the "scammers"anymore. Most of the time these are gangs from Somalia or other thirdworld countries to draw your bankaccount empty. Here in the Netherlands we've seen it several times and we were warned by the media. Be carefull with it.
dont get me started on the african scams. i once had a lengthy conversation and i tried to scam the scammer.. haha. didn't work... oh well.

he was offering me 9 million dollars because a late uncle died.. and wanted a bank account to transfer to. i tried to get him to send me 500$ cash to open the account up.. but i guess he didn't comply.. LOL....
Old 02-16-2006, 11:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just another tip: Any real emails you get from paypal will not only never ask for your password or such information, but will also always start off by addressing it your name. Scam emails will always greet with "Dear valued customer" or something of that sorts.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Also, whenever Paypal send you and email it will have your name on the first line. It will not say "Paypal Member" but will have your actual name.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Glowster21
Also, whenever Paypal send you and email it will have your name on the first line. It will not say "Paypal Member" but will have your actual name.
hmm ive seen fakes with the name in it too...

when in doubt.. just go directly to paypal and login. all they want is in there.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I know when Paypal or ebay send an offical email, they address you by your full name in Capital letters.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

Ive had several of these. A tip, go to the bottom of the email and if there is a white space highlight it as if there was text there. Sometimes the scammer leaves stupid little messagges there in white text.

I personally knew there were fake becasue it just does not look right, the text looks wrong and the general layout just looks fake, hehe.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:48 PM
Tech Addict

Exclamation BUSTED

Nice Work Special Agent Anderson!
Old 02-16-2006, 12:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCMits
hmm ive seen fakes with the name in it too...

when in doubt.. just go directly to paypal and login. all they want is in there.
Yep that's what I do, go directly to paypal never through an email link.

I do like having a little fun with the paypal scams though, login as "yourmom" and password "sucks..." well you get the picture, sometimes the scams will simply redirect you to the paypal real login screen with the invalid username/password message, sometimes they open up a real looking page "verify your info" or something like that ..those I really enjoy, expanding upon the prowess of their sister, what they're dad does with farm animals, etc

...then I report he link to paypal
Old 02-16-2006, 01:00 PM
Tech Regular

fyi this link attempts to load a trojen on your system my VP cought it quickly but just so you know

wvracer
Old 02-16-2006, 01:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I work in the Banking field and we have customers all the time w/ problems like this. The best thing to remember is never click on a link to get to a site , ALWAYS TYPE IN THE WEB ADDRESS YOURSELF, that way you don't risk going throw one of these false sites. AND NEVER EVER GIVE YOUR PIN # TO YOUR DEBIT CARD.
Good luck to all
Tom
Old 02-16-2006, 01:18 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I removed the link from my post just for safty reasons on here.

EA
Old 02-16-2006, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

i didnt read the whole thread... so forgive me if someone else posted...

But really? you would actually take an email recieved from someone you dont know or a company and actually give finacial info?

I have never clicked on any link from paypal, my bank, your bank, toms bank, ebay, Rbay, Qbay...

if its important, they will call.. or it can wait till i log in to thier site.

My brilliant wife did somthing like this not too long ago with ebay.. luckily she asked me a question while she was doing it and we were able to change all the passwords and such.

this comming from a guy who lost a credit card in vegas and never reported it

moral of the story... DONT OPEN BS EMAIL. unless you are expecting an attachment.. DONT OPEN IT.

KB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.