Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$$$ to make it race ready R40 or MTX3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 10:36 PM
Tech Master

Me too, very interested in the 05R.

As for the R40...it's sad that people are still too stubborn to accept it into the "League of Extraordinary Nitro Sedans." Hara had a one-way and lightened chassis and some different gear ratios. One thing that people fail to mention is that some of the fastest modified engines in the country were at the ROAR Nats last year and Hara won with an off the shelf NS12. Not that it's a shabby engine but the car was good enough to be driven by one of the Worlds Top drivers with non-modified engine and it won. Plain and simple, there are very few people on this forum that can drive beyond a car's capabilities. Buy the car that you have support for.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by rod_b
Me too, very interested in the 05R.

As for the R40...it's sad that people are still too stubborn to accept it into the "League of Extraordinary Nitro Sedans." Hara had a one-way and lightened chassis and some different gear ratios. One thing that people fail to mention is that some of the fastest modified engines in the country were at the ROAR Nats last year and Hara won with an off the shelf NS12. Not that it's a shabby engine but the car was good enough to be driven by one of the Worlds Top drivers with non-modified engine and it won. Plain and simple, there are very few people on this forum that can drive beyond a car's capabilities. Buy the car that you have support for.
Darned good points in there!
Old 04-14-2004, 10:47 PM
Tech Prophet

As for the R40...it's sad that people are still too stubborn to accept it into the "League of Extraordinary Nitro Sedans." Hara had a one-way and lightened chassis and some different gear ratios.
Don't get me wrong. I was merely trying to answer the original poster's question...

One thing that people fail to mention is that some of the fastest modified engines in the country were at the ROAR Nats last year and Hara won with an off the shelf NS12.
I guess the old adage "power is nothing without control" and "races are not won on the straights but in the infields" holds true. Within reasonable limits of the off the shelf engine and with the skills advantage that Hara possess plus with some luck, he managed to become the ROAR champ.

Plain and simple, there are very few people on this forum that can drive beyond a car's capabilities. Buy the car that you have support for.
To be able to know that you can drive beyond the car's capabilities is already a skill by itself. Many people do not realise it until they drive a different car.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:59 PM
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally posted by InitialD

Have you seen a 710 in action with the rest of the cars at your local track? Did they release the FT NTC3 before that race? If you consider that as a new car...

Driver skills aside, the R40 that Hara drove was certainly different than the R40 that you get off the shelf !
I don't really consider as the FT NTC3 as a new car. It is more of a revision/update to me.

now the 710 from the 705 is a new car.

yes, i have seen the 710 in action. However, because the driver is not a good one, I was not able to see any advantage of the 710 over any other car out there on the track.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:02 PM
B
Tech Master

I guess the old adage "power is nothing without control" and "races are not won on the straights but in the infields" holds true. Within reasonable limits of the off the shelf engine and with the skills advantage that Hara possess plus with some luck, he managed to become the ROAR champ.
Yep. If you watch the video of the race, it is clear that Hara's car was clearly one, if not THE fastest car out there in the A main. He was making moves and passing everyone else easily.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ummm, for Darrin Campbell's results, I know that he's always in the top 10 but never in the number 1 seat contention. Who are the good Mugen racers are you referring to? I may be wrong but I thought with Ric Bartolozzi and Simon Camilleri around, that should be pretty much covered with top guys...
For you to be talking to an Aussie about who are the "top guys" down here says to me that you need to get out more, not take these toy cars so serious and close mytsn in your browser for a little longer then 30 minutes.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:48 PM
B
Tech Master

Originally posted by jeffreylin
You forgot about the FW-05R! Quite different too!
i don't mean the difference in design-wise

I mean the performance on the track
Old 04-15-2004, 12:00 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by EVOLUTION
For you to be talking to an Aussie about who are the "top guys" down here says to me that you need to get out more, not take these toy cars so serious and close mytsn in your browser for a little longer then 30 minutes.
Firstly, we too much sun over here all year round ! Secondly, these are not toy cars and we take them very seriously ! And thirdly, mytsn is my homepage !
Old 04-15-2004, 12:53 AM
Tech Master

Frag, I see you live in San Jose.

I believe RCCAR races in the corner of Camden and Union in San Jose and in other locations. I've only been to their races to watch. I saw some Serpents, V One R/RR's, and some NTC3s as well.

I too was deciding between these two cars(R40/MTX-3). It just seemed to me, that the R40 will be better in the long run. HPI parts are cheaper in the Bay Area. And not to mention availablility! Why buy a MTX-3 when the 'Pro Spec' is coming out soon and not to mention the 'MTX-4'. I highly doubt HPI would release a new car soon (in the USA that is...). Unless you have connections with a guy in Japan, get the regular 'USA' R40.

Just my 0.02

P.S.: I bought an R40 for 245.00 and it should be here tomorrow.

Last edited by DOMOisCOOL; 04-15-2004 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-15-2004, 03:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by B
Yep. If you watch the video of the race, it is clear that Hara's car was clearly one, if not THE fastest car out there in the A main. He was making moves and passing everyone else easily.
Haven't seen the video but your saying he was fastest on the straights, also?
Old 04-15-2004, 03:32 AM
Tech Elite

. . . oh yeah, as to which car?
Read my tag line.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:19 AM
Tech Master

WHAT!?!?!?!?! The R40 was faster on the straight and in the infield than the other cars with a stock engine?! And Hara was able to toss the car around and pass people with ease as if he was driving an electric car? Man that Hara sure is good cuz it couldn't have been the car.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:58 AM
B
Tech Master

Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
Haven't seen the video but your saying he was fastest on the straights, also?
i dont really remember about the straight..

I remmeber it was about the same.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hehehe,

it's very difficult to compare two cars in price without falling back in a performance war.

Performance is depending of the driver taste, price is a fact black on white. I wonder why it's so difficult to make a price comparison without falling back in that old war.

Anyone had both cars and can say something on their experience about the general maintaining price of those?
Old 04-15-2004, 01:08 PM
B
Tech Master

Originally posted by Frag
Hehehe,

it's very difficult to compare two cars in price without falling back in a performance war.

Performance is depending of the driver taste, price is a fact black on white. I wonder why it's so difficult to make a price comparison without falling back in that old war.

Anyone had both cars and can say something on their experience about the general maintaining price of those?
you seem to be very fond of the HPI's price

buy it then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.