Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Loctite Free R/C Screws and Nuts

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Loctite Free R/C Screws and Nuts

I'm thinking of marketing screws, nuts and bolts for R/C Cars, Planes, and Boats that do not require the application of loctite but retains the torque capability of loctite without the mess. Therefore, the loctite type application will be applied through a manufacturing process for the most common sized screws and bolts used in R/C. In addition, the bolts and screws can be removed and reinserted over 100 times without losing its torque capability.

Let me your thought on this and if you would be instested. I am looking for people to test the screws in their cars and planes. If you are interested, let me know what size you need and I will send you some for testing.

Thanks,

Tim
Old 10-20-2011, 07:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you could make them work as well as screwws with loctite, you'd be onto a winner. I hate having to loctite things. Always seem to miss the odd screw as well on a rebuild, so not having to worry about it would be magic.

Good luck with your idea!
Old 10-20-2011, 08:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

i think it sounds like an awesome idea, if you want to send me some 4x10mm screws ill test them out those are screws that have to have loctite or they will come out and alot of loctite ive had them come lose with loctite.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I will test some out, I need some 4x12 mm
Old 10-20-2011, 08:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey Guys, thank you for the replys!! I should have some screws ready for testing in about two weeks. I'll take your size requirements and have them processed. Of course I can't send a 100 people screws but I would like to have a good test market of 50 or less. All I ask in return is your feedback. Also, who makes the best screws on the market? No sense in having crap screws processed. So far I'm using Custom works and AE. Any suggestions?
Old 10-20-2011, 10:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Think its a great idea, maybe even consider doing the little set screws also as they are normally metal on metal. I run a Losi 8 which uses the standard screws , the ones i find that come loose are normally the engine mount screws which are 8-32x1/2" and 5-40x1/2" if you could send me 6 of each ill let you know how i get on also if you have a name or logo thats on a sticker ill put it on my cars body as a bit of free advertisement for you down the track.. Please pm me if you need any details..

I think ProTek do some good aftermarket screws as they are grade 8 screws which are high strength.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Would be keen to try out some screws for engine mounts. If they can hold an engine in without coming loose, they should be good for everything else.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 176 (100%+)
Default Screws

Huge problem on the SCTE. The factory hardware is garbage in the first place. The next is hardware backing out going into the diff cases. This is especially bad when running indoor on carpet. Both for the mishandling and tearing up the carpet. The screws are 8-32 x 3/8" Flat head and 8-32 x 1/2" Flat head.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

sounds like a good idea i would be interested in these. My old losi truggy engine mount screws used to come out even with locktite on them and i even used red at times. I hope my new agama buggy is better.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brushless420
Huge problem on the SCTE. The factory hardware is garbage in the first place. The next is hardware backing out going into the diff cases. This is especially bad when running indoor on carpet. Both for the mishandling and tearing up the carpet. The screws are 8-32 x 3/8" Flat head and 8-32 x 1/2" Flat head.
This is a big problem on all race rollers. On a kit you can control the amount of force used to torque down the screws, but many rollers are over torqued in this area. If possible, try using longer screws. That worked wonders on my 8ight 2.0.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:05 AM
Tech Elite

Tony screws has the best screws imo. Those loctite free screws would be nice for engine mounts and servosaver posts
Old 10-21-2011, 05:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I would have to agree. Tony's screws are top notch. Never had any issues with them. I would also be interested in giving them a go. 3x10mm or 3x14mm would work well. If it works out, you would have a customer from me. I hate loctite. Half the time, I won't even put it on cause its such a pita.

Last edited by Revooooooo; 10-21-2011 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Put the wrong screw size.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:33 AM
Tech Regular

Have any of you tried vibra-tite? It sounds like it could be a similar product/process...

Originally Posted by TKOCompetiondev.com
Vibra-Tite is a special aerobic threadlocker. It is NOT like Loctite that cures without air.

You apply to your clutch bell screws or wheel nuts or other hardware...filling at least half the height of the threads and let dry..7 to 10 minutes. Once cured it forms into a plastic like substance that stays on and allows you to remove and reinstall the hardware many times without re-application.

You can pre-treat your hardware and put it in your box for later use. It also works well for screwing into plastic parts

30cc Bottle w/applicator brush.

Linky: http://tkocompetitiondev.com/product...roducts_id=383
Old 10-21-2011, 06:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

I spoke to a supplier this morning for the screw you guys have posted. The screws must be high qualitity, made in the USA, they can get stainless but they are going to check on the black oxide screws also.

The Vibra-tite is applied in the field like loctite. The process I'll be using must be applied through a process of heating the screw and applying the chemical and cooling the screw so the metal is not changed in anyway. Its a neat process and have been around since 1947 so this is nothing new but it is new to R/C. Some of the customers who use this product is our Military, NASA, Apple, GM, Ruger, SIG, and many others.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey Guys,

I've ordered the following screws for processing. Let me know which ones you are interested in testing for me. I should have these ready in less than 2 weeks.

M3x6mm Flat Hd. (countersink) Skt.
M3x6mm Metric Button Socket Screw
M4x12mm Metric Button Socket Screw
8-32x3/8" Flat Hd. (countersink) Skt. Screw
8-32x1/2" Flat Hd. (countersink) Skt. Screw
M3x10mm Flat Hd. (countersink) Skt. Screw
M2x4mm Socket Head Cap Screw
4-40x1/4" Socket Head Cap Screw

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.