Wiki Posts
Search

A long shot TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 10:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Default A long shot TRF415

Hi All.

I'll be as brief as possible. I know I could be shooting myself in the foot however I will ask.

Just recently I purchased my very first R/C electric 1/10th kit, that being the TRF415. Soon as I received the box I saw "High performace model for Advanced user"

I simply laughed real had however it was a gamble.

To cut a long story short I have my car all set up now (after a month of stuffing some parts up) I have a Futaba 2PL, Futuba MC800C and a Peak performance Jag. 15T motor.

Im happy with the top end speed however I want it to accelerate much faster than what it is now. Ive been told this motor should be fine and that I needed to play around with the gear ratios and pinion gear?

Ive read the instruction manual however I have NO idea as to where to start. All I see is numbers and ratios however is there a website in which it has basics of messing around with gear ratio? As I said I could be simply shooting myself in the foot for buying an "advanced" kit.

Or maybe someone could explain to me in layman terms as to how I could do this? Will loosening the spur gear slightly make the motor spin faster/slower? *shrugs* Ive tried using the search engine however there isnt much on the TRF415.

I could go on forever but I think I will stop now.

Thanks in advance guys/gals

Piggy
Old 05-11-2004, 10:54 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

hey piggy...

i have a 415... and i just ran across this thread...

those number you see in the back of the manual consist of what they call the "final drive ratio".

gearing your motor properly will not only extend its life, but also affect its performance.

your 415 comes with a 102 tooth spur gear. im not sure what pinion gear you have. different combinations allow u to get different ratios. a final drive ratio of 6.5 will have more top end... but a final drive ratio of 8.5 (these are extreme examples) will give you more punch BUT less top end. so play around with the ratios by using different pinion gears.

be careful tho.. if you "over gear" a motor.. you will cause it to over heat and burn, and it'll be useless. you can tell if a motor is over geared by touching the motor after you run it. if its too hot to hold for a few seconds, you've over geared it. hope this helps.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:44 PM
Tech Elite

Hebiki - What is the pulley ratio on the 415?

Piggy - You can buy spur and pinion gears that have different teeth on them so you can gear your motor correctely. To find the final drive ratio(also called the overall gear ratio) use the following formula.

(Teeth on spur gear/teeth on pinion gear) x (Teeth on diff pulley/teeth on the layshaft pulley)

(spur/pinion) is called the external drive ratio and the (pulley ratio) is called the Internal drive ratio.

You should be running *approximately* a 7.2 ogr with a 15t. With that said you may have mess with the gearing till you find a good balance between accelleration and top end.

Are you running rubber tires or foam tires?

Last edited by fatdoggy; 05-11-2004 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:30 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

internal ratio is 2.18
center and one way center pulley are 16T i think.

i want to say the diff and front one way pulleys are 35T.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Default cheers

Hey guys

Thanks for your replies.

I am starting to understand how this is all worked out and calculated however Im going to need to find out the exact details of the pinion gear that was supplied to me (since it didnt come in the box)

Also Ive read in the back of the book about tightening the belts- once again for a rookie like myself I cant understand the picture!

Is there an easier way of understanding how to tighen the belt? I guess they've worded for the "pros"

Fatdoggy,

Cheers for that, it still sounds very jibberish to me but I am still trying to really get my head all that!

Im going to take things slowly and digest as much as I can.

Just a note: Im under the impression that the higher the turns the faster the car has in acceleration however top-end is much slower.

Im not actually using the car for club meets, merely just racing with a bunch of mates and they too have no idea on how to set it up! lol! we're all n00bs!

I'll stop here, and find out the finer details of my pinion gear and get back to you guys!

Once again, thanks for your assistance, it is very much appreciate!

Piggy
Old 05-12-2004, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

Basically mod motors are anything with less then 27 turns(except in asia where they have a 23t stock class). A motor with less turns(say an 8t) has better accelleration then a (27t). The top end of the 8t will be faster then the (27t) but not overly so. A low turn motor; will require alot more maintenance then a higher turn motor, will chew your batteries quicker, but will make your car faster. As long as you clean your 15t it should go quite a while before it dies.

The no. of teeth on your pinion should be stamped on the back of it, if not just put a dot on one of the teeth and count around.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:12 AM
Tech Initiate

Oh man I feel so freakin dumb.

Ok! Ive since counted and found out that the pinion gear supplied to me is a 32T.

And this is my motor

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBHF1&P=7

Come to think of it the motor seems like a cheapy compared to the others I see.

Im going to try and see if the LHS will assist me (doubt it since I have to spend money to get answers there EVERY time)

Im trying to understand the "You have to mess with the gearing"
-once again sorry for the dumb question but what do I physically use to change/ manipulate the gearing?

Or am I right by assuming and reading what you guys have said that ... in order to "mess with the gearing" im going to have to purchase "lots" of different types of spur gears and pinion gears to suit the motor and the type of condition im racing in?

As for tyres Im running rubber Sorex tyres.

Can you guys possibly suggest a website where I can purchase a good motor, the neccessary spur and pinion gear? I know that sounds silly however if thats possibe it would give me a good indication of what I need to look for and learn at the same time!

Money is not a main concern, well the way I see it is, I'd rather spend more on quality made stuff than buy cheapy stuff!

Or should I stop spending and look at a good "stock motor" before going spending more on another "modded" motor?

Very much appreciated guys/gals(?) and thanks all for the responses!

Piggy

~~the n00b~~