Community
Wiki Posts
Search

epic binary 2 stock motors?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 07:40 PM
Tech Addict

Default epic binary 2 stock motors?

Anyone out there ran the new epic stock? is it good, bad, or ugly?
I looked at the dyno numbers on about fifty and none were over 66 watts 92 torq, decent rpm 22-23,000. I run the epic 19 Turn and it kicks butt! and the numbers were lower than on my chameleon 2 but it has about 1/3rd more power everywhere.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default A lot of reading...but it's all in one spot

http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28406
Old 12-10-2003, 11:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I ran one for the first time yesterday, it has definate power, we just gotta figure out how to tune them to get more.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

I ran mine this weekend too. Did the typical stock stuff. Used Putnam Blue/Green combo with the trailing edge cut (thanks John) and Purple - and Red + springs. The motor kicks!

Now I just have to wait till the track gets them in stock so they can be deemed "legal".

Blake
Old 12-11-2003, 06:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Hey Charlie O
I ran at cleveland and I found that the motor has alot of potntial. It can be brewed on to get outragious numbers in the mid 70's for power. but one thing I noticed is that if you just try to cut it and put brushes in it it will not only run very strong but it will be difficult to find gearing. in cleveland we ran about 3 to four teeth lower than the monster.
thanks
Mo Denton
Old 12-11-2003, 06:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
I ran mine this weekend too. Did the typical stock stuff. Used Putnam Blue/Green combo with the trailing edge cut (thanks John) and Purple - and Red + springs. The motor kicks!

Now I just have to wait till the track gets them in stock so they can be deemed "legal".

Blake
Old 12-11-2003, 08:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by 1fastguy1
Hey Charlie O
I ran at cleveland and I found that the motor has alot of potntial. It can be brewed on to get outragious numbers in the mid 70's for power. but one thing I noticed is that if you just try to cut it and put brushes in it it will not only run very strong but it will be difficult to find gearing. in cleveland we ran about 3 to four teeth lower than the monster.
thanks
Mo Denton
Wow Mo-70 plus power. My best Champs motors (all were about the same) were all

63 power, 23,000 in 5.2 sec and 0.93 torque on the Fantom. They all spooled up to 15,000+ rpm in one second so I was preetty happy with that.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ray: That's Mid 70's! You know like a 75 or 76. You saw my car and Mo's, neither of us lacked anything in the RIP department!!(though my car was, strangely, without a competent driver LOL!!)
Old 12-11-2003, 09:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

dude, about 73 power, 24800 rpm, and .973 torque... all at 8 amps at 3 volts on a 35... 1 sec was about 15800 and 0.400!!! too bad I got DELIVERED a couple of time in qualifying...
Old 12-11-2003, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

It will take a little time to find the gearing. The armature stacks are about 4 or 5 laminations less than the monster. Just that in of itself will spool up faster. The quad mags are unique, I think thats were alot of people will need to find the proper brush/spring combo for their local track to tune into it.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by CypressMidWest
Ray: That's Mid 70's! You know like a 75 or 76. You saw my car and Mo's, neither of us lacked anything in the RIP department!!(though my car was, strangely, without a competent driver LOL!!)
YOu guys are pulling my leg right? I ran decent laptimes, etc in both classes (Master 12th and Masters TC), but I wonder how fast I would have run with a 73 power 24K rpm motors!! WOW!!!
Old 12-11-2003, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by rayhuang
YOu guys are pulling my leg right? I ran decent laptimes, etc in both classes (Master 12th and Masters TC), but I wonder how fast I would have run with a 73 power 24K rpm motors!! WOW!!!
Real Deal Ray!! I ran 12.1's and 12.2's with my XRay EVO 1.75 and it was slow in the corners. If I had ever freed that car up in qualifying it would have been SICK!!

The 12th scale car was on a strong B, or maybe even bottom A pace when I hung that brush in the last qualifier.

All the Rip courtesy of Advantage R/C (Got Mo?), and POWER PUSH 3300's!!!! (It was obviously all my fault since Vicky won the main with the same stuff I had!)
Old 12-11-2003, 12:13 PM
Tech Adept

I heard one report that there was at least one of them there motors at the champs race that was putting out 145 watts on a Robitronic dyno... and when it was re-checked when the motor was warm it was putting out around 135 watts... this at the 7.5 volt setting. A good stock motor on a Robi is basicly anything better then about 128 watts..

THe person I heard this from I trust 100% to give me the straight facts... So while I didn't see it with my own eyes, I beleive it.

Now maybe it had a half a wind missing or something I don't know...

Either way, from a small amount of testing I've done on one of these motors, they deffinitely have potential to be very fast...

I have mine running well for a 4 cell application, that is it runs as good or better then any other 27 turn/24 degree motor I've ever seen... but I've yet to get it to look good for a 6 cell application... but I think it's just a matter of time and fiddling...
Old 12-11-2003, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Hey Dynomo
I read the post you put on the other thread about these motors being very sensitive to tuning, and I couldnt agree with you more. I found that they are very tunable though. after I got the monster figured out a 69 power was not to difficult but my first weekend in cleveland with the Binary and a 75 was typical(and my fantom dyno isnt very generous)LOL I feel that in time they will creep up on what 19 turn was last year.my motor that got stolen after the fourth round at one second 16,200/417
typically that is unheard of for a stock motor we also had to gear about 4 teeth lower in some cases where max rpm was 27000

Mo Denton
Old 12-11-2003, 01:08 PM
Tech Adept

I feel that the more RPM any stock motor has, the more picky it is on spring tension, hood alignement, etc... basicly pickyer on everything, including gearing.

I honestly don't think one of these Bin2 Outlaw motors will ever put out as much power as a good 19 turn motor will. On a TurboDyno at 28 amps 7 volts a good 19 turn will put out 155 watts, where the best stocker around will typicaly put out no more then 130 watts. On a Robitronic dyno at 7.5 volt setting a good stock motor will put out maybe 135 (or 145 if you beleive what I just posted earlier, but I assure you that is rare and unussual) where a good 19 turn will put out nearly 190 watts...

I don't really want to get in a argument about this... but I simply don't trust the Fantom dyno when comparing a Motor like the Bin2 Outlaw to something like a 19 turn 'spec' motor. The Fantom clearly favors high RPM motors. I beleive the Fantom is capable of comparing two simmilarly designed motors, but when the motors have very drastic RPM, such as when compareing a typical 19 turn 'spec' motor to one of these ulta high RPM outlaw motors... I just don't think the Fantom gives a accurate comparision.

If you don't buy my opion on that.. then when you find a really good driver with one of these 'outlaw' motors beating another really good driver with a good 19 turn 'spec' motor, let me know, I'd like to come and see it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.