Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Sirio cl3b 3 port engine and pipe set...good for a budget set-up? >

Sirio cl3b 3 port engine and pipe set...good for a budget set-up?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sirio cl3b 3 port engine and pipe set...good for a budget set-up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 06:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Sirio cl3b 3 port engine and pipe set...good for a budget set-up?

Hey guy's, i've just ordered a new hotbodies d8 buggy kit and i'm currently looking at what engine to put it in it as i want a completely new set-up. I can get the sirio cl3b 3port engine and 2013 pipe set for £164.99. I've read good things about sirio engines and have always been recommended to run one by my lhs.
Bear in mind i'm on a tight budget and i'm moving up from a kyosho sports mk3 with a gx-21 (i ran quite well with this at racing) would this be a good engine to run with? I'm looking for reasonable power although i accept it's not going to be the best, reliability and durability.
Not sure if anyone could tell me this but does the sirio kit include a clutch/clutch bell? cheers-Hugh

Thanks-Hugh
Old 10-29-2008, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default b3

Hugh, The B3 is a OK motor and if you have already ordered the motor than you have a OK motor. Star Motors (Sirio) does make good motors for racing but you have to get the 7 port motors and should get the STI ceramic bearing motors. Sirio motors have a history of of bearing problems. I have run the Werks B3 08 Ceramic bearing motor with mixed results. I just got the motor back from Werks because of bearing problems. When the motor runs it is good for small tracks with tight turns but does not have any top end. The head on the motor is to small on the B3 so the motor runs hot, thats why the 7 port motors have that super tall head. You have to start the race out very rich and about 5 min in the motor leans it's self out to about 250 degrees. Every B3 that I have seen has this problem. My friend at the track runs the Colarri B3 with the same problem. If you have $200 to spend, get a RB S3 or S5, Max Power Max Racer or even the GO 5 Port or save for a good race motor. I still have the B3 as one of my back up short track motors.
Attached Thumbnails Sirio cl3b 3 port engine and pipe set...good for a budget set-up?-picture-053.jpg  
Old 10-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

thanks for the advice! No i haven't ordered the motor yet. So glad i didn't. By the sounds of it it may be worth me stretching my budget a little. How are the OS v-spec engines? thanks-Hugh
Old 10-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

Default v-spec

OS v-spec motors are great, power every where. You should change the bearings to TKO ceramic bearings before you ever start the motor, I know it sounds like a pain but once you do the motor is great. Hugh go to your private messages, I sent you a PM
Old 10-29-2008, 12:20 PM
Tech Adept

nova rossi n21 b and pretty much any pipe .jp3 works great 7 plus min of run time and under $275 us dollars
Old 10-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have the cl3b and i can beat os motors down the straight it is a fast motor and very good for the price
Old 10-29-2008, 05:22 PM
Tech Elite

Default motor

If your B3 beats an OS than you must have a 2 speed in your car or you are talking about a VG. I have both motors and the difference is night and day. I have run most motors RB, OPS, CMB, PICCO, WERKS B3, and now OS in my 15 years in the hobby and now I know why every one at most track runs OS motors and why they have won so many National and World off road titles because they are the best IMO. Set to kill they might not last to long but what do you want from a motor running 40.000rpm.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey guys, i;ve decided to up my budget after reading countless reviews and i'm going for the newest version of the os v-spec with the os pipe and coupling to match! What would be a good clutch set-up for this? -Hugh
Old 10-29-2008, 05:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcus Falconie
If your B3 beats an OS than you must have a 2 speed in your car or you are talking about a VG. I have both motors and the difference is night and day. I have run most motors RB, OPS, CMB, PICCO, WERKS B3, and now OS in my 15 years in the hobby and now I know why every one at most track runs OS motors and why they have won so many National and World off road titles because they are the best IMO. Set to kill they might not last to long but what do you want from a motor running 40.000rpm.
i thought the "speed" series won all the events and the v-specs were the sport series. i have seen my share of v-specs and for all the issues they have i would never run one, my buddy has had 3 and this 3rd one looks like it may go for a while, at least another couple gallons or so. everyone has a v-spec story, not too many good ones from me. the werks b3 he had ripped and spanked most v-specs at a big track so no lack of top end really. pipe, gearing and tuning has a lot to do with top end, not just the motors ability out of the box.

if you are still on a budget do not leave go tech motors off your list. i was one of the "made in taiwan must be junk" believers, but after getting one at a deal i am blown away by this little go. everyone told me i need to change the carb to a nova carb, i did and i liked the go carb better, 0 issues in 2 gallons so far. tuning is easy, pipe selection is easy and i can gear up the motor cause it has so much bottom, the run time is insane also. this is all with the 3 port race too, i'll have a "special" 5 port by the end of the month to see how it does too. good luck with the d8, its a good looking car on ad off the track.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Tech Elite

Default motor

Hugh dont take my word for it or any one on here's word for it ask some one who does this for a living email Rich Reid at [email protected] and ask him he has worked on and helped develope some of the best motors in the world and will answer your questions. Because every one on here will have a story, me included. P.S. you can never go wrong with a RC8 clutch or losi clutch. in my D8 I run a wreckwerd 2.5 with 1.0 springs And the Speed just came out before that it was the V-Spec 2006 World Champ every big race champ and still the motor of choice of most of the OS drivers, its easy to change a head.

Last edited by Marcus Falconie; 10-29-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

I think i just got really luck with the cl3b i have in my kyosho buggy
Old 10-29-2008, 08:34 PM
Tech Elite

Default motor

Eric I am sorry, I am not trying to be a jerk I am sure your B3 is fast.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Eric I am sorry, I am not trying to be a jerk I am sure your B3 is fast.
I know and understand if i just got a good motor then lucky me I am now running a sirio evo 3 sti and it has SO much power it is to much for me But i will get used to it
Old 10-30-2008, 03:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

X2
Old 10-30-2008, 05:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...idcategory=318

Look into the grp(none tuned) or the RB s3 or s5. Go also offers the 5 ot 7 port and they are decent engines.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.