Wiki Posts
Search

True Cost to own RC Pro Buggies

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 05:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by cordarrow
Priceless. OK.

This hobby is so inexpensive I for one can not believe that everyone is not doing it!

Talk about bang for your buck! For the price of a compact automobile you can spend a terribly long day breathing dust and carcinogens...

I'm all in!!!
It is "CHEAP" compared to other hobbies. When we raced full scale cars a typical Friday night race cost about 600 to 1000 dollars. When you put it into perspective it is not that bad.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by boomgagem
That was my question, I'm glad you love it. Although it sounds like you completely mis understood the point of the question.

First off, Jared Tebo gets tires for free, so competing with the same caliber drivers is a moot point, so forget about that.

We're not talking about top level pro drivers here. We're talking about the newcomer racing, and how much it will cost. And I'm telling you wether or not you want to hear it that if Tebo came to the pit on a "club race" day with one set of crimefighters, he would still finish at the very top of the pro level. His skill level is way above everyone posting on this thread,

And I'm not saying lie to people about the costs, yes at the very minimum it is still an expensive hobby. But don't tell people they'll need to spend 2,000 a year in tires it's just not true.
You replace tires as they wear and sometimes that is very quickly. Also you need good tires to practice with, not bald tires that are ready to come off. There are some tracks that you can get away with a set or two a season and there are other tracks that take a set a qualifer. So yes some tracks may require you to spend 2000+ and some track you can get away with 200-. and no tebo wouldnt come to the pit with crimefighters. He would come with crossbrace geez : )
Old 03-07-2011, 05:46 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by camocowboy
I don't think you should want to hide the cost from a new comer. How would you like to be the guy that asked and was told oh you can do this cheap. Just grab a 500 used rtr and go race and win. That's BS and if the guy can't afford the up keep he is gonna be unhappy and out of the hobby with 500 blown that he could have used on something that he could afford to keep doing. If the initial startup cost is enough to concern you, don't even think about racing.

I love the how would Tebo do with old tires question. You think he would win? Where? He would own the sportsman race but against the same caliber of drivers that he competes against all the time, he would look pretty rough. So would anyone with that disadvantage.
I agree. I never said you can get a $500 RTR and race and win. Not that it couldnt be done. Someone with experience could probably take a Losi RTR and run up front at club and local events. I'm sayin I could budget my money and race competitively for around $3-4k a year.

As for Tebo racing, I do not think that applies to this thread. We all know 95% of Tebos cost, if not more are covered.

My input in this tread is about the average guy(or girl) wanting to race competitively and have fun doing it.

As for spending so much on a big race weekend on spare parts, tires and everything you 'might' need. In my experience, I havent needed all that extra stuff when I DID buy it. The expense of it ended up rolling over to later races and washed out. Not to mention, at those huge events, there is usually enough parts support to not have to "stock up".

I've seen it over and over again. Some guy with way too much money and not enough sense, buys 4 different kits or motors in a year trying to be faster, then boasts about how much money he has to blow to stay competitive. This is not baseball, money isn't gonna buy you championships. Practice, knowledge and good sense will.

Yes I unnderstand that this isn't a "super cheap" hobby. But, one can have fun and be competitive for a reasonable price.

If nitro is too much by these standards, than a newcomer curious about rc can always get a RTR sc truck and go and have fun.

Please don't run new fans and racers away. Or we will ALL be finding a new hobby soon enough.

Last edited by Miniracer23; 03-07-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Miniracer23
I agree. I never said you can get a $500 RTR and race and win. Not that it couldnt be done. Someone with experience could probably take a Losi RTR and run up front at club and local events. I'm sayin I could budget my money and race competitively for around $3-4k a year.

As for Tebo racing, I do not think that applies to this thread. We all know 95% of Tebos cost, if not more are covered.

My input in this tread is about the average guy(or girl) wanting to race competitively and have fun doing it.

As for spending so much on a big race weekend on spare parts, tires and everything you 'might' need. In my experience, I havent needed all that extra stuff when I DID buy it. The expense of it ended up rolling over to later races and washed out. Not to mention, at those huge events, there is usually enough parts support to not have to "stock up".

I've seen it over and over again. Some guy with way too much money and not enough sense, buys 4 different kits or motors in a year trying to be faster, then boasts about how much money he has to blow to stay competitive. This is not baseball, money isn't gonna buy you championships. Practice, knowledge and good sense will.

Yes I unnderstand that this isn't a "super cheap" hobby. But, one can have fun and be competitive for a reasonable price.

If nitro is too much by these standards, than a newcomer curious about rc can always get a RTR sc truck and go and have fun.

Please don't run new fans and racers away. Or we will all be finding a new hobby soon enough.
+1
Old 03-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jammin32j
+1
+2

We need new people in nitro.

Definably be honest about the costs...... but really be honest. A first year sportsman racer does not need an OS Speed, every hop-up or update on his buggy/truggy, and two sets of M4 tires for every race. Don't lie to him and tell him he does just to boost your ego, hear yourself talk, or reinforce your own investment in toy cars.

RC is really not that much more expensive of a hobby than anything else. We shouldn't represent it as something it's not. As much as we may like to pretend it is.... this ain't Formula 1.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It will still cost a new one to the hobby way over $2000.00 if he/her has nothing.

Losi 2.0 rtr $630.00
2 new servos $150.00
charger $40.00
fuel $40.00/gallon
tools $100.00
pit table $40.00
pit canopy $100.00
pit bag $85.00
new engine $250.00
race fees $20.00/race
tyres $100.00/race
spares $$$$$$
transportation to and from the track
roar insurance

this is a tight budget to race, if you bash it is more than enough, not enough to be racing and be competitive.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Tech Regular

I agree that is a reasonable cost, and what most will spend.

Here is a slightly different approach, and may vary based on location:

Losi 2.0 rtr $630.00
2 new servos $150.00
charger $25.00 (NIMH chargers are available at this price)
fuel $30.00/gallon (~$30/gallon in US if bought locally)
tools $50 (EDS/Hudy tools nice but not necessary year 1)
race fees $20.00/race
tires $50.00/race
new engine $200.00 (lots of options under $200, and they're going to blow it up anyway...lol)
Used spare roller for parts - $200 (so a newbie has every spare part he might need)
pit table from walmart or target - $30
2 plastic tubs to hold your stuff - $20
roar - $25

$1430

But still even if it's $2k, I don't think that's too bad. Less than a MX bike, boat, etc.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Tech Master

To the OP, you need to decide what it is you want outta this hobby. If it's just fun and club racing, then you can do it cheap. If you're on a quest to qualify for the 2012 worlds, it's gonna get relatively expensive. Just decide what's best for YOU and go from there. The beauty of this hobby is you can have fun at all levels. My Dad's 63 and just bought an SC10 and runs the stock class and he has a blast with it.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

Well, I know I am the exception to the rule. I decided last year that I was going to race sc and Caster STILL doesn't have them done

So I bought a rtr blitz from the lhs and a ese blitz from amain. Combined the parts I wanted to and ran all season in stock sc. I came in second to Chilly (RC Car Action) one night in the A so I am not a complete slouch...lol.

I used everything stock except I used my m11 and a esc I picked up new on ebay. I broke 1 part and I had a backup from the other kit.

When I race I really focus on trying to not get marshalled, yet go fairly fast.

I have broken 2 sets of arms on a Caster fusion. When we had the old Mugen style steering rod ends, I did break 5 of those as they were the weak link. I had the endbell fall off a medusa motor and I smoked 2 hobbywing rtr escs. I have never wore out a set of tires, but Iowa black dirt does no damage as long as you do not run ultra softs.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:58 PM
Tech Prophet

i agree with most of you dont say it cost $1000 even to just start up at a club raceing level because its not true and we want as much nitro racers as we can !
Old 03-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aray
I agree that is a reasonable cost, and what most will spend.

Here is a slightly different approach, and may vary based on location:

Losi 2.0 rtr $630.00
2 new servos $150.00
charger $25.00 (NIMH chargers are available at this price)
fuel $30.00/gallon (~$30/gallon in US if bought locally)
tools $50 (EDS/Hudy tools nice but not necessary year 1)
race fees $20.00/race
tires $50.00/race
new engine $200.00 (lots of options under $200, and they're going to blow it up anyway...lol)
Used spare roller for parts - $200 (so a newbie has every spare part he might need)
pit table from walmart or target - $30
2 plastic tubs to hold your stuff - $20
roar - $25

$1430

But still even if it's $2k, I don't think that's too bad. Less than a MX bike, boat, etc.
less than a blown engine after a dropped valve if you are not a sponsored rider... ... part of the reason i quit racing MX, it was 1200 for just parts to fix my bike and i got parts from kawi at cost...
Old 03-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I got out of the hobbie for a while and got back into i and bought the losi 2.0 rtr and one good servo and a charger plus batterys for the bump box pluse fuel and thats it my freinds let me use some tires and tools so i didnt have to buy so much at once and with the buggy i TQued and got 2nd my first race with it and my son did quite well with it also when i give it to him i had about 750 in all that to start out with but when i got back into it hard core i have spend 1200 - 1300 and have good stuff like i said in my previouse post tires and fuel are the most expensive parts to me if you maintane your stuff it wont wear that fast and the better you get at driving the less you will crash and less parts you will need so these people saying you need $5000 in a car are crazy i dont see it and i have been doing this for 12 years but this hobby is a fun and you will meet people that will go out of there way to help you and theres others or just jerks but anyways have fun thats whats important.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losi_racer
You replace tires as they wear and sometimes that is very quickly. Also you need good tires to practice with, not bald tires that are ready to come off. There are some tracks that you can get away with a set or two a season and there are other tracks that take a set a qualifer. So yes some tracks may require you to spend 2000+ and some track you can get away with 200-. and no tebo wouldnt come to the pit with crimefighters. He would come with crossbrace geez : )
HAHAHAHA, my bad AKA

I'm sure proud that I don't race on tracks that eat tires like that. Although some of the videos I've seen I would love to race there
Old 03-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Just to clear it up Boom, no hard feelings. I am just a straight shooter. Plus I like to play devil's advocate once in a while and argue the other side. I am very much a supporter and promoter of our sport. I do all I can to help the new guy get going. While I choose to pursue racing at a pretty high level I understand all the different ways people can enjoy the hobby. Lots of guys don't take it so serious and its all about being out at he events with buddies.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

None at all man, I am the same way. I like a good discussion like this. Not everyone can agree or think alike. The world would be a boring place if everyone thought like I did!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.