Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Overdriven

Racing Revo build up

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 551 (100%+)
Arrow Racing Revo build up

Well, I just could not resist. I have always loved nitro MT's. I started with a T-Maxx when they first came out (the Pro .15 motor). I bought a Revo when they were released and was racing that (was racing my Supermaxx before that). I modded the heck out of the Revo, too. Mainly getting it lighter. I know many people will say the Revo works best for them at 8.5 pounds, but my Revo was 7.1 pounds RTR with X-wings on the front, 2.5 motor, a NiMh rx battery and an aluminum chassis. I called the truck Sub7, since that was my goal with it. So, I decided to do a similar build, but with extended chassis, 3.3 motor and lipo rx pack.

I will be slowly building and modifying this. I will try and take pictures along the way, maybe even with weight comparison of stock and replacement parts.

I started with a nicely modded 3.3 Revo, (parts listed below) for a pretty good price.

It has the following:

extended chassis
Platinum shocks
P2 rockers
Tekno sway bars

center diff
rear brakes
ERevo diff cups
RB Mods modded motor (1 gallon thru it)
RB Mods turbo head
New Ceramic motor bearings
New con rod
New crankshaft
THS pipe
Buku clutch
New Era billet motor mount
M2C Racing motor brace

8mm Tekno axles
Tekno front carriers
RPM arms front
RPM Tru Track rear arms
Tekno 17mm adapters

Here are some pics of it when I got it.

I have been taking it apart, cleaning it and started adding parts, taking off parts, weighing things and rebuilding it all. I have taken it down to the bare bones and will be updating the thread as I go.

Here is the Mini Revo race build that I did and that thread shows the private track that I get to run on (a friend owns it and lets me run there anytime I want).
http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...cing-mini-Revo
Old 04-07-2014, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

I will first start off with a pic with race tires/rims on it. Makes it look more "racey" even though that is the only initial change.

Weight with no fuel and no rx but with the racing tires is 9.170 lbs, or 4160 grams. A hefty pig in my book. I will let the project to lighten this thing begin.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Sounds like a fun build. Getting even a 2.5 Revo down to 7lbs is pretty impressive. Wish I would've weighed my lightweight 3.3 when I built it back in the day. I used Traxxas lightweight parts, tie and push rods, roller posts, pillow balls and every hollow ball in every rod end on the truck, Lunsford hinge pins and the Tekno radio/servo parts. Then I made it heavier with a 250cc tank and Novarossi 528 Rotostart on the New Era. Necessary evils I guess! Lol. Even so it was so much lighter than a stock truck. Keep is posted on yours.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

Still adding to the rig. Just got my hands on a rare Oomp single speed conversion. In the middle of installing that.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm building up a light 2.5 while my bro is making a light 3.3. A lot of these parts are what I'm using on mine. My goal was to get the 2.5 up to platinum spec minus the extended chassis for short course runs. Also your truck looks great. I'd recommend the Tekno forward conversion to get some better weight distribution with the fuel tank and servo =]
Old 04-01-2019, 12:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Do the currente 3.3's come with the extended chassis? I remember getting one when I was racing it and it was grey. Anyone know if you still have to upgrade to it? Thanks
Old 04-02-2019, 04:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

3.3 chassis has always been and still is the extended length. Blue is the rtr chassis, grey is the Platinum edition chassis
rjmakk likes this.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:36 AM
Tech Adept

Yep! As Overdriven mentioned... In any case you are transferring over revo 2.5 guts onto a 3.3 chassis - keep in mind that while everything will bolt on, the insides of some of the housings like the diff ring and pinion gears will still be 2.5! Don't make my same mistake.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:13 AM
Tech Adept

Thank you guys. I never knew they made that chassis standard. It's been a while since I've owned a Revo and was around in the racing days pre-truggy. Slapping one together to see how she goes.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:50 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rjmakk
Thank you guys. I never knew they made that chassis standard. It's been a while since I've owned a Revo and was around in the racing days pre-truggy. Slapping one together to see how she goes.
while it’s no secret the revo will not be as competitive in racing I’ve always loved the idea of the competitive racing revo. I’d love to see how yours comes out! I’d actually get up in there and try too. Although I’d go big block because I like power and I don’t really plan on racing.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:33 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Solico

while it’s no secret the revo will not be as competitive in racing I’ve always loved the idea of the competitive racing revo. I’d love to see how yours comes out! I’d actually get up in there and try too. Although I’d go big block because I like power and I don’t really plan on racing.

Yeah I've got a Picco .26 in there, they did alright back in the day. It's usually the driver anyway so..

Wondering if anyone knows much about the rotostart for the picco engine or similar .21 - what might fit or be a good alternative? Thank you!
Old 04-22-2019, 06:17 AM
Tech Adept

I can't comment on the roto start - but I do know that revo specific engines like the picco max red dot and what not are extremely difficult to come by.
With the traxxas BB kit, you can fit nearly any big block and usually use roto-start with said engine.

However, I got my hands on one of the New Era BB kits remade by KeithRC and I can use any BB engine with a pull start/rotostart.
I'm looking into Ebay everyday to see if any RedDots or something similar hits the market for a good price (new)
Old 05-31-2019, 09:01 AM
Tech Rookie

When you talk about racing are you racing against truggys or in a Monster truck class? Racing of Monster trucks in my area is kinda dead...
Old 06-17-2019, 10:19 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BadBundy
When you talk about racing are you racing against truggys or in a Monster truck class? Racing of Monster trucks in my area is kinda dead...
At this point yeah, against truggies. I haven't spent too much time getting the thing going at the track as I have real race vehicles. Just wanting to get one on track to see how good they are in comparison. I used to race small block and big block monster truck classes in the early 2000s, but I don't remember how good they were. Seeing how far the tech has gotten since then I guess. I think if you slap some 17mm hexes on and a wing the Revo may be good. I'll get back to yall once I get her out there!