Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree167Likes

Tamiya XV-01

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 07:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Raman
Manual says rod stopper available separately? Including 3 little pieces of blue aluminium would have killed them?
I agree with you!
please help! I have an issue I'd like to show, but I can't. it's in a album. what do I have to do? thanks! Rob
Old 11-11-2013, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xv01disapp
I agree with you!
please help! I have an issue I'd like to show, but I can't. it's in a album. what do I have to do? thanks! Rob
I don't follow.. is your problem related to the rod stoppers? I just bought some Spec-R ones, they work as expected.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by metalnut
I don't follow.. is your problem related to the rod stoppers? I just bought some Spec-R ones, they work as expected.
Hi!
No, it's a problem with the part NN24 of the kit. It is a part of the pulley. There should be two of them, but one is "fat", as if it wasn't totally worked (sorry for my English...). I have the photos in the album. I'll try to put them in this reply.
In my profile there is a larger explanation. Thanks!
Rob
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya XV-01-pict0079.jpg   Tamiya XV-01-pict0081.jpg  
Old 11-15-2013, 04:46 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm not entirely sure what you mean but, one is "fat" because NN3 is on top of NN24.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Smile
I'm not entirely sure what you mean but, one is "fat" because NN3 is on top of NN24.
Dear Smile...you are quite right!!!
OMG, I didn't notice it! Thank you very very much!
Rob
Old 11-16-2013, 06:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

No problem! Just ask anytime
Old 11-24-2013, 05:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Well my stay in Brazil is coming to an end. Tuesday I head back to Los Angeles. I brought with me one RC car so that I could have something to do, the XV-01. Every time I made plans to run it, I either forgot a screw driver to open the battery hatch, or battery was bad etc.

So yesterday I told my wife, I am determined to use this damn car before we head back. I convinced her to drive with me to a track 40 min north of Porto Alegre, where we are staying. This is the track that they hold the brazilian championships at, so its quite large.

When I arrived there were 3 guys running 1/5 FG cars. I kind of felt embarrassed showing up with a 1/10 scale. Anyhow, I dropped the battery in and did a warm up lap and decided to unleash the 17.5 with 20º timing and boost. After they saw my XV-01 storm down the front straight, they were impressed with its speed LOL.

At first I was perplexed why it wanted to roll over in turns, so I brought it in and realised it still had the long shock ends installed for dirt gravel and changed them out for the short ones. Put the car back on the track and it became extremely planted.

Later in the day, I switched out the 17.5 with a Vulacan Outlaw 10.5! (yes I am nuts) Since I did not have my computer, I left the timing on, but I dropped down in gearing to stock spur with 21T pinion. The car was a bullet down the straight, however the timing trip points where set for 17.5, so it was driving like an on / off switch in the mid field.

I initially was using my beat up BMW M3 body with Sorex 36R slicks. I later switched to the Tam's Toyota GT86 body.. the car started to handle even better.

I wanted my wife to take a video while I went around the track with the GT86 body, but she had her hands full with our newborn. The 1/5 scales were making too much noise for him to fall asleep after being fed. So once again I fail at proving a video.

Now that I am heading back, I will definitely use the XV-01 to race in a 3rd class, along with my 416 and M06.. its much more forgiving than my TRF416 to when it comes to set up.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya XV-01-aerea1.jpg  

Last edited by Raman; 11-24-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:01 AM
Tech Rookie

I'm looking for a new motor/esc-combo for my XV-01 Pro. Should I go sensored or sensorless and what's kind of EScs do fit the XV-01 best?
Old 12-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by muesli
I'm looking for a new motor/esc-combo for my XV-01 Pro. Should I go sensored or sensorless and what's kind of EScs do fit the XV-01 best?
Sensored is always better. They offer more precise control, especially at low speeds. My ESC's are all Novaks.. the small ones like Edge, Impact and Club will fit with ease. Larger ones like Havoc Pro, GTB, Pulse will need some trimming to fit.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:49 AM
Tech Rookie

Sensored is always better. They offer more precise control, especially at low speeds. My ESC's are all Novaks.. the small ones like Edge, Impact and Club will fit with ease. Larger ones like Havoc Pro, GTB, Pulse will need some trimming to fit.
Thank you. I think I'll buy the Club Spec. There are three more questions:
1: How smooth is this ESC in sensor less mode, which I will have to choose for racing on Ice and snow. This might be quite important, because I'm living in Switzerland at the moment
2: Where can I get a sensor wire, which is long enough to fit the XV-01?
3. Which of motor would you choose? I think about 2500-3000KV are fast enough, but which is the best off road-proven one?
Old 12-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Tech Champion

Thank you. I think I'll buy the Club Spec. There are three more questions:
1: How smooth is this ESC in sensor less mode, which I will have to choose for racing on Ice and snow. This might be quite important, because I'm living in Switzerland at the moment
2: Where can I get a sensor wire, which is long enough to fit the XV-01?
3. Which of motor would you choose? I think about 2500-3000KV are fast enough, but which is the best off road-proven one?
The Novak ESC only run in sensor mode. I have driven mine on ice and snow and it works great in sensor mode as well. So you will not have a problem.

Sensor cable: Tamiya has released their own sensor cable (54381) for cars like the XV-01. Its 35 mm long! Works great for the XV-01

http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio...or-cable-54381

For off road, I believe a motor between 2500 to 3000 kv is sufficient. If you plan on a Novak club system, the equivalent would be a 17.5 motor.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Tech Rookie

The Novak ESC only run in sensor mode. I have driven mine on ice and snow and it works great in sensor mode as well. So you will not have a problem.

Sensor cable: Tamiya has released their own sensor cable (54381) for cars like the XV-01. Its 35 mm long! Works great for the XV-01

http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio...or-cable-54381

For off road, I believe a motor between 2500 to 3000 kv is sufficient. If you plan on a Novak club system, the equivalent would be a 17.5 motor.
The Novak ballistic in 17,5 has 2200KV, so the 13,5 with 3300Kv might be better, because i would to keep the speed it has at the moment.
Currently I'm running a GM Genius 75 ECS, which is taken from my F104, with an old Team Orion Motor taken from Vortex Experience off road edition brushless combo, but I can't find how many KV it has...
Old 12-08-2013, 11:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I disagree with sensored always being better. For most bashers it is just one more thing to worry about. Sensor less is more efficient, so many escs will switch to sensor less mode when the motor spins up anyways.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:19 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ThePanda
I disagree with sensored always being better. For most bashers it is just one more thing to worry about. Sensor less is more efficient, so many escs will switch to sensor less mode when the motor spins up anyways.
Sensorless is more efficient? Disagree, its more economical for bashing yes. Many bashers eventually get bored of bashing (including myself) and decide to show up to a club race and end up needing to buy a sensor system, after they watch their cars cog when they try to get going. So why not do it right from the get go and save money.

One more thing to worry about? Its a wire, you plug it in and its connected. Without sensors you have to deal with cogging constantly.. cogging is far more inefficient than a hall sensor.

The inefficiency myth was created by Castle Creations to justify their ESC / Motors not having one. Sensored ESC switches to non sensor mode because once the rotor has passed its initial starting point, it is not necessary to know its position. Castle eventually ate his words and now sells sensored ESC as well.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:20 PM
Tech Champion

The Novak ballistic in 17,5 has 2200KV, so the 13,5 with 3300Kv might be better, because i would to keep the speed it has at the moment.
Currently I'm running a GM Genius 75 ECS, which is taken from my F104, with an old Team Orion Motor taken from Vortex Experience off road edition brushless combo, but I can't find how many KV it has...
I have run 17,5 13,5 and 10,5 in the XV01. It handles all quite well. Just be mindful of gearing when using 13,5 and 10,5 off road.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.