Wiki Posts
Search

Inexpensive tools?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 11:23 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Inexpensive tools?

Hello all...Do any of you have any recommendations for inexpensive tools, and a general what's needed list of tools for a noob? Thanks for any advice!
Old 02-20-2015, 11:29 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lladnar
Hello all...Do any of you have any recommendations for inexpensive tools, and a general what's needed list of tools for a noob? Thanks for any advice!

If you are on a budget, I can understand buying cheaper tools. You really do get what you pay for. With cheaper tools, you run the risk of damaging screws, bolts, etc. If you go cheap, you will definitely be replacing them at some point.

If at all possible, try and buy some rc tools specific to The R/C industry, as they are designed to work within our hobby. You don't have to go crazy and spend a ton, just pick up the most important items as you are able to afford them. First would be a good set of screwdrivers and allen wrenches.

I use Dynamite brand stuff (which is not expensive nor high end). They work well and I take care of my tools.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:00 PM
Tech Adept

I'll check that brand out and thanks for the info. My only current problem is this....
I've been out of rc's for almost 30 years, and just jumped back in with 4 buggies and all the goods, for myself, old lady, and kids..haha..I'm trying to short cut where I can, but obviously tools are a huge necessity and I'm kind of stuck without them, so hoping to piece together the essentials, then build the collection from there.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:17 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lladnar
I'll check that brand out and thanks for the info. My only current problem is this....
I've been out of rc's for almost 30 years, and just jumped back in with 4 buggies and all the goods, for myself, old lady, and kids..haha..I'm trying to short cut where I can, but obviously tools are a huge necessity and I'm kind of stuck without them, so hoping to piece together the essentials, then build the collection from there.
That makes perfect sense. Just don't overwhelm yourself by thinking you have to have it all overnight. One can get by with cheap pliers, cutters, etc.

Just don't go cheap on the essentials. Something like this would be great:

http://www.amain.com/dynamite-metric...ol-set/p183035

or

http://www.amain.com/dynamite-traxxa...ol-set/p149306
Old 02-20-2015, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Look into the Dynamite tools as suggested and keep an eye out on getting tools used. Knowing exactly what you need saves on cost too.SAE/Metric? Know what's important. What cars do you have?
Old 02-20-2015, 02:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Try Hobbyking

Hi there, Hobbyking could be another alternative for you. I'm not a racer but I have found there tools to be quite good,and the prices I think are very good.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:54 PM
Tech Adept

I bought these that came highly recommended from members on multiple forums seems they fit very tight and remove screws where others have failed. I REALLY hate messing with rounded out fasteners so I"ll spend a little more for better tools. Just my 2 cents...Good luck and have fun!

http://www.amain.com/search?cID=&s=mip+tool
Old 02-20-2015, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

MIP is top notch. Nowhere near inexpensive but very much worth it.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:33 PM
Tech Addict

for screw drivers and nut drives and such i just use my craftsman or kobalt i prefer the feeling for allen wrenches i use xcelite. i basically use the same tools i work on my moms tahoe with
Old 02-20-2015, 04:18 PM
Tech Adept

Thinking outa the box here..
all dollar stores by me have metric/sae 1/4" socket sets.
along with allens wrenches.sae/mm.
always have a set or 2 of needle nose pliers .. a set of hemostats. 90 degress helps..
set of slot and + screwdrivers..
I spent Less than $10.. got pretty much al tools i need..
Now you will see what you need after you get some money buy Name brands ..
I have a ton of tools to many. but I always reach for ones I have made to do the job..
Old 02-21-2015, 07:38 PM
Tech Adept

Lots of good info. Thanks gents!
Old 02-22-2015, 04:46 PM
Tech Elite

Get the MIP 2mm, 1.5mm and 2.5mm if you want the set of three.

Anything larger than 2mm and it wont matter much, but a top quality 1.5mm and 2mm is essential. The rest of your kit you can get away with anything that suits your budget

For imperial, you can substitute sizing and an imperial 1/16th will save you from the torture of a stripped 1.5mm grub screw. (once)
Old 02-22-2015, 05:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I bought this tool set 3 years ago and it has worked out really well. Over the last year I have slowly replaced the aliens with mip, but the originals are still in good shape.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/11pcsrctokit.html
Old 02-22-2015, 08:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

In the past I would buy cheap rc brand tool. I found that the cheap tools tend to strip out or break far too often.

I recommend a quality hand driver set that fits the sizes for your car and hex bits that fit a drill also. Any small cordless drill will do as long as it has torque settings.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:23 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks to everyone and the most recent posts.

Forgot to answer earlier.....
I currently have 3 Serpent Spyders, and 1 TLR 22.2. All 1/10th 2wd.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.