Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
High vs low price nitro motors >

High vs low price nitro motors

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree11Likes

High vs low price nitro motors

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 08:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default High vs low price nitro motors

Need some advise, is the top price nitro motors vs the 125.00 motors worth the money? I have a very hard time forking up 4 to 5 hundo on a nitro motor.. Please change my mind...
Old 03-20-2018, 08:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Yes they are worth it, if you know how to properly tune a motor, clutch and header & pipe combinations.

Yes some lower end motors can do well, but generally the materials and QC is not on par with the higher end motors. If you want a high quality good supported motor go with the base .21 from OS, Picco or Nova. These days those brands motors are the base for other brands (Maxima, Falcon, Triton, RC Concept etc.)

Stick with whats supported locally, and yes a higher end motor will need more care and maintenance, i.e. keeping it clean, not overusing airfilters, high quality fuel, plugs etc. but well worth it once you get the hang of it.

Check out the OS XR-B vII or the XR-B vII
Old 03-20-2018, 09:00 PM
Tech Regular

Over using air filters, what’s this? I appreciate your response thank you. I heard nova’s are hard to tune? Is this true?
Old 03-20-2018, 09:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

by keeping on running an old filter, instead of replacing it. Some even try to clean them, but its just better to replace the filter elements.

No different than most, I have a Nova P5XL that is 6 years old and going strong, as are my vintage P3XS that is also 5 years old and running well.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:35 PM
Tech Addict

I agree with 1/8 IC Fan, as if you know how to properly break in and tune, the $500 engines are worth it. If you're not sure and or not confident in your skills, I would recommend seeking some pro help at your track. If broken in wrong, the $500 engine won't give nearly as much benefit. I know Adam Drake has a break in service for high-end engines. Again agreeing with 1/8 IC Fan, stick with local favorites but I would recommend OS and REDS. Lots of other engine companies base their engines off of the OS ones so their a pretty decent choice. It is based in Japan so the pipes will be a bit more to replace if you crash often. REDS is a smaller company with good customer service and known for high quality.

When looking for top-end engines these are a few (a lot) good ones
OS XZ-B Spec. III
OS B2102
OS B2101 Adam Drake
REDS WR7 Diamond
REDS Corsa Lunga
Maxima B2R Jared Tebo Edition (really hard to find only 5 sold)
exheliguy likes this.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
by keeping on running an old filter, instead of replacing it. Some even try to clean them, but its just better to replace the filter elements.
Yup, because these engines run at such high RPM, any dirt that gets past the filter will act like sandpaper to the delicate internals and kill compression. A well sealed/oiled filter is a critical step to long/consistent engine life.

For what it's worth, some of the cheaper engines can produce a lot of raw power, but usually they won't hold a tune nearly as consistently as the pricier engines (I'm thinking Taiwanese engines in particular). Also, some of the surface treatments (namely DLC) are very pricy, which adds significantly to the cost of the engine, but helps to guard against parts wear.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Honestly, a Nova Adam Drake, is a fantastic motor that you can buy for $200 or less. It has lots of power and it’s smooth. Match it with a Nova 9901 pipe and 41021 manifold ($100 or less) and it rivals higher end motors in performance, power delivery and reliability. Nova’s tune pretty easily and are consistent. Just follow proper break-in and maintenance of engine and clutch. The next time around, you’ll know if you’ll want to spend more for a new motor and matching pipe.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:37 AM
Tech Regular

This is great info fellows thank you. I remember buying the old dynamite engines back in the day I think 125.00 or so and it was awesome power if you could tune it well but would never hold that tune and seemed like you were always chasing it. Anyone try the new low profile Os engines yet? They are different but certainly bd ass looking. Another question would be how long do you use an air filter for? What would be adequate timing to change to a new one? Thanks again for all your time.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Italian made engines starts at less than $200. Though there are differences, you might be just as happy and fast with a $200 engine as an $500 engine, as price means next to nothing. There is difference in the longevity of engines and Italian made engines are hard to beat on that, no matter the price.
Pedro Jesus likes this.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:46 AM
Tech Regular

Most everyone use the Drake break In process right?
Old 03-21-2018, 06:25 AM
Tech Master

Check out Alpha plus engines
Old 03-21-2018, 06:32 AM
Tech Regular

That’s the ryan luts? Or is it one of the dragon editions? The dragon iii is right @ 300 and that’s not bad.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UrabusDenis
Check out Alpha plus engines
Good engine, run them in my truggy. They work nice for the price but one thing I don't like about them...piston and sleeve are to tight from factory. Need to be careful breaking them in. If not... it stresses the rod.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mattythegreat
That’s the ryan luts? Or is it one of the dragon editions? The dragon iii is right @ 300 and that’s not bad.
The older lutz pink head "non-worlds" or the alpha a852 in truggy.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:42 AM
Tech Master

The Dragon IV is the newest one. Similar to the Dragon III, just updated. They come pre-broken in, so no need to worry about it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.