Wiki Posts
Search

Which starter to buy for losi 8ight B & T

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Which starter to buy for losi 8ight B & T

Both are rtr but the buggy has already been converted for a starter which is a OFNA10245. The starter is ok but can't use on my T which I plan to convert. Now I also have a Go 7port for my buggy that I haven't run yet and not sure if this starter will do. Now I've heard some complaints about the Losi not being strong enough. I there another one someone can recommend for both vehicles.

Thanks
Scott
Old 04-16-2009, 06:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The losi 8ight starter box?
Old 04-16-2009, 07:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The losi box is junk stock. It needs to be re-wired and a lipo used for it to have any power at all. And even then it is pretty lacking in the power department. I love the ability to use it with both buggy and truggy, but it is just too weak. Some have had luck with putting ofna parts(mainly the 775 motors) into the losi box, and some have even used losi alignment parts on the ofna truggy start box. If you don't want to do the work needed to rig something like that up, you are basically stuck with 2 boxes. I carry 2 boxes around myself. I just got an ofna truggy start box and absolutely love it. It is the most powerful box I have ever used, and I am just using a gel cell in it, no lipos or even stick packs. If you already have a box, you will have to buy a second anyway(even if you got the losi box). IMO anything other than the truggy start is not worth the time or $$.

http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=4845
Old 04-16-2009, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

I'm running the Traxxas 23T motors with Dean's wet noodle wiring on 4S lipo. No problems at all with it. I highly recommend this box if you're running Losi Buggy and Truggy, no other box can accommodate both so quickly. Losi got it right with the mounting system on this box, the stock internals do suck though, but that's easy and cheap enough to fix.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:20 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
I'm running the Traxxas 23T motors with Dean's wet noodle wiring on 4S lipo. No problems at all with it. I highly recommend this box if you're running Losi Buggy and Truggy, no other box can accommodate both so quickly. Losi got it right with the mounting system on this box, the stock internals do suck though, but that's easy and cheap enough to fix.
Or you could buy 2 good boxes and a couple of gel cells for the money that you dump into it. Sorry, I have just lost all patience with the losi box. I was gonna convert it with 2 ofna 775 motors, but decided just to buy a truggy start, and use my good ol' chrome top for buggy.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Or you could buy 2 good boxes and a couple of gel cells for the money that you dump into it. Sorry, I have just lost all patience with the losi box. I was gonna convert it with 2 ofna 775 motors, but decided just to buy a truggy start, and use my good ol' chrome top for buggy.

I tried two boxes for a while, but it was pain. Not saying there aren't better boxes, but if someone is running a Losi buggy/truggy it doesn't get any better than the Losi box. I think we should all just switch to pull start anyways.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
I tried two boxes for a while, but it was pain. Not saying there aren't better boxes, but if someone is running a Losi buggy/truggy it doesn't get any better than the Losi box. I think we should all just switch to pull start anyways.
LOL

Well I definately agree about the convenience factor. Nothing will touch the losi box for that, but it really ceases to be convenient when the box won't turn over your engines, and you are missing races because of that. Not to mention having to replace the motors in it every month atleast.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

I have the losi box stock with 2 3300 stickpacks and it works fine. When both packs are fully charged it will last a whole raceday and have plenty of power. I heat my motor anyway so i could start it with anything but even the 2 times I didnt heat it it started it no problems. My motor is a grp non-tuned and it has just less then a gallon on it so its still really tight. What problems have you guys had with it? Maybe your batteries werent charged but mine has started my grp since it was new no troubles.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by [email protected]
I have the losi box stock with 2 3300 stickpacks and it works fine. When both packs are fully charged it will last a whole raceday and have plenty of power. I heat my motor anyway so i could start it with anything but even the 2 times I didnt heat it it started it no problems. My motor is a grp non-tuned and it has just less then a gallon on it so its still really tight. What problems have you guys had with it? Maybe your batteries werent charged but mine has started my grp since it was new no troubles.
No. Batteries charged, even tried a couple different power sources. Really it just is a weak box. I also completely re-wired it with deans wet noodle, and soldered EVERY connection. I too heat my engines, but that often had no effect. I know I am not the only one with this problem. It is also hard to heat the engine up every time you start it, between racing and marshaling 2 classes.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ya true I only have a buggy so I usually have plenty of time to heat. Idk whats up with mine then cause it seems to have plenty of power, maybe im lucky or just a noob cause this is my first box. Idk but it seems to do its job well. I have only had it 2 months so far though so only time will tell but I u have to understand if I recommend it because it is working for me. Th truggy start does look sick though.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I used the losi box last race season and did the full upgrade with deans wet noodle wiring and 4s lipo. It took a dump about a month ago and somehow shorted out and crashed a 80 buck lipo. Since then I have purchased the Ofna truggy starter box. This thing will start anything. I also transfered the losi alignment hardware to the top of the ofna box so it will start both. This took lots of time patience and modification but I was determined to complete it. The converted box starts both the buggy and truggy with the toughest engines. I am pleased now. I did the same internal upgrade to the ofna box, deans wet noodle and 4s lipo. This is the way to go. I have posted it on here before but check it out...

Old 04-16-2009, 07:50 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Frank L
I used the losi box last race season and did the full upgrade with deans wet noodle wiring and 4s lipo. It took a dump about a month ago and somehow shorted out and crashed a 80 buck lipo. Since then I have purchased the Ofna truggy starter box. This thing will start anything. I also transfered the losi alignment hardware to the top of the ofna box so it will start both. This took lots of time patience and modification but I was determined to complete it. The converted box starts both the buggy and truggy with the toughest engines. I am pleased now. I did the same internal upgrade to the ofna box, deans wet noodle and 4s lipo. This is the way to go. I have posted it on here before but check it out...

I also thought about that, and may attempt it at some point. I haven't wired my truggy start up yet, but that is definately on the list when I have some time.