Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Corally RDX Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 11:15 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I can't figure out how the rollcenter blocks attach to the car. Look at those holes next to the bulkhead in the chassis. Is it possible they're screwed into the chassis as opposed to through the inside of the bulkhead? There's so much material removed on the bulkheads where you'd expect them to be, and those holes are rather curious.

The rear diff looks like the pulley is centered on the chassis, which makes sense if the bulkheads are closer together. I guess that means there's some new diff parts in the mix, probably a shortened version of the current long half. I wonder if the front bulkheads are the same width apart? Is there any reason to do that? Can it even work to have two pulleys perfectly center? I'm guessing the front is offset like the current car, which means two different diffs and diff parts.

The latest batch of pictures are from two different cars. The center pulley is black in one and aluminum in the other. Interesting that there's no dividing guide for the two belts on the pulley. The layshaft is a good bit different, obviously to accommodate the spacing of the bulkheads. I like its slimmed down appearance.

Are the shocks using captured balls for their mounting hardware rather than being secured by nuts?

Check out how long the rear body post plate is where it attached to the bulkheads. I can't get my head around how that portion is going to work, since presumably the top part of the bulkhead needs to screw down somewhere.

The shape of the space for bearing carriers in the rear bulkheads are interesting. More new hardware there I bet.

The layshaft doesn't appear to be quick release. Look at how the screw go directly into the spur now, rather than through that aluminum plate. Maybe we'll be able to use standard spur gears more easily.

There's still something very interesting about how the topdeck attaches to the rear bulkheads. It's almost as though you clamp down on it, rather than screw it in directly.

That's all I've got for now. Any other observations?

It sounds like this car is very much in the testing and development stage, and not ready for imminent release. It could be a long time still before we see this car released, especially considering the ongoing updates and releases we're seeing for the current RDX. It looks like a glimpse at the future, but not an indication that a new car is coming out anytime soon. Remember how long it took from the time we first saw the 12X until its actual release? And those were product photos we first saw, not spy shots. Corally takes their time to really test things and not rush new products to market, and that's fine with me. Now, where's my prototype to do some testing with foams on carpet?! :-D

Last edited by syndr0me; 10-27-2006 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I am going to install the lower tower today.

I need to cut 3mm off the front shafts, and 3mm off the shock end?
Old 10-28-2006, 01:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by raffaelli

Yes - however, it all depends on what size your tires are? If you are running foam and you start your tires at 57 mm - yes, you will need to cut around 3mm from each. If you are running rubber, you may need to cut more. I cut 2mm off the shock shaft and 3 mm from the shock-end and with a 57 mm foam tire, I am at 4.5mm ride-height with the shock collars all the way to the top.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Syndrome, those shock mounts are available, you just pop out the aluminum ball in the shocks now and press in the new pieces, basically just another ball stud in the shock. as for part numbers, I do not remember them, but Im sure someone on here knows what they are
Old 10-29-2006, 10:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Center Steering

This week, I placed one of the new 3.4mm topdecks on my carpet car and converted it over to the center steering layout.

Having picked up the topdeck at the IIC last month, it didn't come with any installation instructions (for the center steering); so, I "winged it".

A couple issues quickly came up....1) the too close conflict of the two ball ends with each other; and, 2) the lower center screw head hitting the front belt.

My solution for the ball ends conflict was to slot out the holes to move the ball studs outward from each other. This remedy works fine and there was no need to trim the ends of the ball ends. I am going to experiment with an add-on extension bracket to do the same thing on my asphalt car. I want the steering tie rods to be on different angles from what the instructions say(got them with my second topdeck).

To eliminate the screw head from hitting the front belt, I filed away about 1/16" from the top of the 79251 steering post (RDX). Again, this works great because it eliminates the screw head/belt conflict and improves the angle of the steering tie rods. Otherwise, the instructions say to use a 79250 steering post (Assassin?) which I assume is somewhat shorter than the RDX 79251 post.

Ran the car for the first time yesterday with a one-way. Steering was dialed and I had a shot at TQing in the second round...Yes, I will be doing the same conversion to my asphalt car with a new 2.4mm topdeck.

This is an excellent tuning option...Thanks Corally.

Bill
Old 10-30-2006, 03:05 PM
Tech Lord

I'm assuming Jeff Cuffs still runs for Corally, so congratulations to you and the rest of the team on your performance. Maybe Jeff or someone can let us know who the rest of the team drivers are and where they placed?
Old 10-30-2006, 05:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by raffaelli

Use Xray shock spring cups and you don't need to cut anything.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Stock TC:

Jeff Cuffs - 1st
Mo Denton - 3rd
Eli Ezrow - 4th
Brad Johnson - 7th

19t TC:

Brad Johnson - 5th
Jeff Dayger - 7th

Mod TC:

Jeff Dayger - 7th

Congrats to Jeff and great job to the rest of the team.

Last edited by Brian McGreevy; 10-30-2006 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:08 PM
Tech Lord

Thanks Brian. Corally seems to lack mod drivers compared to most other teams. I guess those guys are probably more expensive though.

Corally still has some great drivers on the team, and the car is obviously still at the top of its game. These guys managed to win against other great drivers, all of whom are wheeling much newer cars.

Since the traction came up at this race, any chance we'll see some setups online? I'm curious if the guys were using some of the new parts in their setups, or if they're still doing most of the same stuff they did in Vegas 05.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

This was at the Holloween Classic, correct? Anyof them care to comment on which of the new goodies were used an in what combination? It seems there are so so many diffeernt options with new top decks, single or double post steering, 26 or 28 mm tires, new arms front and rear, new rear hubs, etc that its hard for us mortals to know which conmbos work with out spending hours of track time and boo-koo bux testing them ourselves.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Thanks Brian. Corally seems to lack mod drivers compared to most other teams. I guess those guys are probably more expensive though.

Corally still has some great drivers on the team, and the car is obviously still at the top of its game. These guys managed to win against other great drivers, all of whom are wheeling much newer cars.

Since the traction came up at this race, any chance we'll see some setups online? I'm curious if the guys were using some of the new parts in their setups, or if they're still doing most of the same stuff they did in Vegas 05.

the rdx still rules the track guys, cuffs out qualified brad johnson who also is running the rdx by 1 tenth . corally started 1 and 2 in the main, and cuffs got away clean at the start and brad was collected in the first turn along with 4 other cars, by the time he got everything straightened out it was to late because cuffs car was long gone. He was never challanged for the lead at any point. Congrats to cuffs and johnson for the 1, 2 qualifying and cuffs for the dominating run in the main. Jeff and Brad both had very good looking cars, and the gate with its new crc carpet along with paragon had a bit more bite than vegas, but still not high bite of the older version of the carpet.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Still Bill
This week, I placed one of the new 3.4mm topdecks on my carpet car and converted it over to the center steering layout.

Having picked up the topdeck at the IIC last month, it didn't come with any installation instructions (for the center steering); so, I "winged it".

A couple issues quickly came up....1) the too close conflict of the two ball ends with each other; and, 2) the lower center screw head hitting the front belt.

My solution for the ball ends conflict was to slot out the holes to move the ball studs outward from each other. This remedy works fine and there was no need to trim the ends of the ball ends. I am going to experiment with an add-on extension bracket to do the same thing on my asphalt car. I want the steering tie rods to be on different angles from what the instructions say(got them with my second topdeck).

To eliminate the screw head from hitting the front belt, I filed away about 1/16" from the top of the 79251 steering post (RDX). Again, this works great because it eliminates the screw head/belt conflict and improves the angle of the steering tie rods. Otherwise, the instructions say to use a 79250 steering post (Assassin?) which I assume is somewhat shorter than the RDX 79251 post.

Ran the car for the first time yesterday with a one-way. Steering was dialed and I had a shot at TQing in the second round...Yes, I will be doing the same conversion to my asphalt car with a new 2.4mm topdeck.

This is an excellent tuning option...Thanks Corally.

Bill
Put the thick topdeck on for NorCal Bill.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:07 PM
Tech Master

Not much changed on the setups, since the bite was better. If anything they tested things for Cleveland next month.

Jeff
Old 10-30-2006, 09:14 PM
Tech Master

How long until you guys are allowed/willing to discuss the new car? I know it's been rumored that it's intended more for rubber because of the top deck, but the thick version for the current RDX is 3.9mm, and seems pretty solid.

I guess that confirms the rumors about easy access bulkheads and easy rollcenter changes. Both are extremely welcome updates. I'm still wondering how the new, narrow bulkheads are going to work with the rear arms and CVDs. It seems inevitable that they'll have to use the outer holes on the arms and hubs with longer CVDs to make width. Makes sense, I guess, since the holes are there on the current parts, but there's no CVDs available to let us use them.
Ok.... so you want some info.

First off......... the outside holes on the new rear arms use the new rear hubs, 79299. You do not move the hub, just the hinge pin which is mainly an asphalt thing as it will add more rear traction.

Regarding future cars........... same suspension, just updates you have noticed. No official 'yes' on production and they are actually trying other options and designs. Nothing more than testing at the moment. It would not be just for rubber tire either since it is the same basic design.

Besides, the current car is dialed. =)

Jeff
Old 10-30-2006, 09:24 PM
Tech Lord

Thank you Jeff, it's very good to hear a little bit about it. I'm glad they're taking their time with the new platform, that sounds much better than rushing a car to market to sell more kits. The fact that the RDX is STILL so dialed on carpet, even against cars that are 3-4 generations newer than it really speaks volumes. The car deserves a spot in the R/C car hall of fame, especially after the first few months when most of the durability quirks got worked out.

The car still looks like an RDX, which is really nice. I hope they continue to use the name and just add something to it, like "Competition Spec" or whatever their marketing people come up with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.