Wiki Posts
Search

Kanai 2 vs Kanai 3

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Kanai 2 vs Kanai 3

i have decided to try the kanai after 2.5 years running mugen i wanna try something else

i was going to get a K3 but someone suggested to me the K2 was a better deal

he said K2 comes with 2 lsd's and the K3 only comes with 1 i would like to try the lsd's and also try the diffs regular so buying a K2 and the extra diff internals is cheaper than buying a K3 and buying lsd internals

he also said the only real difference if the extra suspension travel caused by slightly longer shocks

are there any other differences he missed or was he right

based on what he's said it sounds like the K2 is the better deal because its cheaper and would be further cheaper if i get the extra diff pieces i would want

i found the K2 is also far cheaper i think tower wants $580 for K2 and $699 for K3

dont bother trying to tell me tower is too expensive i dont plan to buy it from them anyway

also i could really use some suggestions as to what parts i should get for spares and what hop-ups i should get and part numbers if at all possible
Old 06-25-2004, 01:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My feeling on this matter is just wait for about a month and a 1/2 and the mp777 will be out. I feel the k3 is a better car than the k2. The k3 comes with titanium screws and new style front and rear arms. It also comes with 20 and 22 degree front c-hubs. It also comes with the different geometry front shock tower and upper and lower aum. b-block. You get more droop out of the rear shocks wich will help in rought track conditions. The lsd situation is simple. The k2 comes with front and center lsd's. If you install a center lsd the car will push like a pig. A lsd in the front only will work sometimes. TO run 2 lsd's on a US style track is silly. The chassis on the k3 is lighter than the k2. The k3 is a better car hands down. Call ultimate hobbies for the best pricing. I believe they are around the $600 mark shipped for a K3
Old 06-25-2004, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

i didnt know they had made so many suspension changes

i was told not to run the lsd front and center but front and rear with 7k in center diff
Old 06-25-2004, 01:56 PM
Tech Elite

i dont wanna wait for the mp777 i need a new buggy before july 10th as that is the next part of our regional

i know your wondering what i mean when i say part of our regional in region 2 this year it is a 3 part regional with events at a south, north and finally a central race all the races were only $5 more than a normal club race and the trophys will be given out based on your best 2 finishes i thought it was a really cool idea cant get much more fair than that

i am going to get those 9350 servos you recommended i hope they really are as good as you say

so in your opinion i would be stupid to buy a K2? i only plan to run it for the remainder of the season then sell it and buy either a mbx5 prospec or mp777 next year since i will have had both mbx5 and kanai i will be able to finally decide 100% which is the better buggy for me
Old 06-25-2004, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

I wouldn't say you would be stupid in buying either. I was just trying to point out the differences. I think in the long run you will have a better time selling a k3 than a K2. You really can't go wrong with either but the K3 is better. If you can get a K3 for less than $150 more than a K2 and you can afford it that would be my choice.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Your gonna love the 9350 servo's they are the best money can buy.
Old 06-25-2004, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

i hear what your saying especially considering resale since i know its going to be sold by this time next year probably even sooner

on those servos you've never had any trouble from em not even the little plastic gear stripping like most servos seem to do after a while? im definetly planning on getting them ive got my tower coupon ready and everything

i was also wondering does tower and ultimate hobbies take paypal? it would definetly speed up the process for me rather than having to wait for the money to be deposited in my account i could just paypal them as soon as i get the money
Old 06-26-2004, 05:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Jason if you get a k3 make sure you buy another set of front universals. You know I have had both k2 and k3, I may not race as much as you but I really cant tell the difference, althou the titanium screws are nice, Hopefully if you go k3 you wont have the universal problem like I did.
Old 06-26-2004, 05:52 AM
Tech Elite

i have heard that the universal problem which i saw first hand this weekend on a friend car was an early kit production problem that should hopefully be all fixed by now

i tell you if i get a kyosho and have a bunch of stupid problems like that im going to be pretty upset

on trinity tech talk chris crews posted and it seemed he endorsed the K3 and i usually follow any advice i can get from him
Old 06-27-2004, 07:55 PM
Tech Elite

If you were to have problems with the uni's I know that Kyosho is taking care of the problem and Great Plains the distributor will hook you up if need be.

I have not had a single problem with the 9350's I have cases of fuel through them now. Its the best buggy servo money can buy. I even run 9350's in my gas truck (overkill but what the heck) I have a total of 6 9350 servos and they all work well. Most of the guys in my area run the 9350 and I have yet to see one fail.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:20 AM
Tech Elite

thats very good to hear i will be ordering them soon
Old 06-29-2004, 08:59 AM
Tech Master

Keep your MBX-5 until the 777 comes out and then try that. Honestly the Kanai cars will probably not handle like the 777.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

too late for that the mbx5 was sold on ebay

and a new K2 is being sent to my house right now

got a sweet deal on the K2 though

plan is to see which i like better (mbx5 or kanai 2) and decide whether to get a mp777 or whatever new mugen buggy is out next spring after the prices have come down some