Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Why NO Top Shaft Tourers? >

Why NO Top Shaft Tourers?

Why NO Top Shaft Tourers?

Old 04-18-2006, 10:52 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TeamHomies
Ummmmmmmmmm.........I dont think there was one in the top twenty @ the pre-worlds
check the results again..... i believe there was one or two shaft cars in the top 20.

but seriously, shaft cars are great performers with stock motors.
in japan where the 23turn stock class is huge, shaft cars are still very popular.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ttso
I think one of issue of shafty is, the chassis is generally more rigid than belt car. As the chassis is less-flex, the mech grip on low traction surface is lower than flex chassis, said belty. And frankly you cant make a shafty chassis flex, unless your central shaft design can take all those flex without damange the gear.
try flexing a yokomo LCG, you'll be surprised!
Old 04-18-2006, 11:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Belt cars "flow" better, at least from what I observe. I also note that some will compare the free spin of, say, a pro4 to a belt car and declare that the pro4 is 'free-er', but you have to take into consideration that a belt car is only gonna give a certain amount of free-spin unless the belt is under full torque/power of the motor.I personally like the pro4, it's the nicest shaftie for the money but the current crop of BD cars are the one's that lay down consitancy lap after lap. Pic the one that makes you happy, but remember on hot pavement one is gonna be smoother over the other...
Old 04-18-2006, 11:07 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ttso
I think one of issue of shafty is, the chassis is generally more rigid than belt car. As the chassis is less-flex, the mech grip on low traction surface is lower than flex chassis, said belty. And frankly you cant make a shafty chassis flex, unless your central shaft design can take all those flex without damange the gear.
ttso-
...unless your central shaft design can take all those flex without damange the gear..

YES ITS TRUE in EVO1 ~ EVO3, it does use 1 piece driveshaft - gear may damage when chassis flex due to mis alignment gear tooth contact

in oldie TC3, then new EVO4, PRO4, LCG, etc.. by the 3 pcs shaft design, actually front and rear gearbox permit slight flex on chassis without damage the gear at all...
Old 04-18-2006, 11:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by josh69162
I have crashed quite a bit in my Pro4, and although my bevel gear in my oneway is metal, I have not come close to shredding my smaller bevel gear. I have, however, destroyed a knuckle amd c-hub quite a few times.
-Josh
Replace your C-hubs and knuckle with the aluminum ones. Very tough.

Originally Posted by justin lessard
two words...torque steer,shaft cars have torque steer which makes them a handful in mod,belts are smoother,and in general faster

long story short:BELTS ARE BETTER
How can you say that belts are faster than shafties?

The Pro 4 and the Cyclone have the same gear ratio. Running them with the same gear set up, electronics and motor results to the same speed as well. We've tried that many times already. It all depends on the driver.

Before you judge, wait till the new Tamiya EVO 5 and the Pro5 comes out. I'm sure shafties will rule again.

Old 04-18-2006, 11:41 PM
Tech Elite

Of all this debacle, I'm just glad some manufacturers stay true to a design longer than, well, XRAY. High-end shaft cars are dope, so are the belt cars you can purchase. No dissing Xray they are well designed,but damn slow down! BIGGEST thing I get a laugh out of?: guys going through 3-5 different cars per year blaming every one they buy for their lack of performance, yet there are TC3's (with a little BMI upgrading) that come out and place top-3 consistantly Either way find a car you like and stay with the damn thing dont get caught in the "flavor of the month" bs. At the club level any car can win you just gotta stay focused, run what feels right.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:49 PM
Tech Master

Touring car guys have always liked the car of the month, it's the same with stock motors. I am a bit guilty of this myself, it has something to do with the gadgetness.....(ahem)....... of the cars. Touring cars have always been the coolest technology wise of anything in the RC car market. Shaft drive cars will surface again, mark my words.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Diggity Designs will be introducing a NEW TC3/4 conversion shaft kit in about 3-4 weeks... IT has many many features and was designed utilizing the weight of the batteries, motor and electronics. It has very low CG that can be adjusted with shims.. All the aluminum is in house and the carbon fibre is going to be cut next week....Stay tuned, pictures and prices comeing in 3-4 weeks. check it out at www.diggitydesigns.com
Old 04-19-2006, 12:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

im not gonna say which is better cause its obvious some people are very passionate towards one type. also when u look at it shaft drive cars are maybe stock and possibly 19t cars were as belts are mod its kinda like rally and V8's ( americans think of lemans) you cannot say one is better than the other because they have very different attributes.
but to say a cyclone is better than a pro 4 is a little bit dumb (no offense) because they are the same car just different drive train there for u can really only say the belts are consistanly more forgiving and suite a mod motor.

i would one day like to own a tb evo as they seem to be very competitive and i dont own imperial tools so that puts out tc4.

Just some thing i noticed is that some people who run tc4/3 are super happy with them but people who race imported car dont like them. so could associated have something that other shaft drive cars havnt found? ie a more forgiving drive train??
Old 04-19-2006, 12:14 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah no doubt... but man I guarantee you that an older TC with the right set-up/driving skills and a well tuned motor (greenmachine, monster, ect) is going to show itself on the track regardless of the new-factor. I love sitting at the race listening to every bumbling fool rant on and on about how the kit they just bought is 'so much better'. Oh yeah fresh bearings, diffs, and shocks really do make the difference.

I personally never see the guy with the fastest wallet making the A-main all that frequently
Old 04-19-2006, 12:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i know what ya mean but it would be nice to be able just to have the best of the best but then what are ya gonna blame when ya loose jks
i am beggining to think its a personal preference as the difference is unnoticeable (yes i know i cant spell).
do you guys think the differences are very noticeable or that most drivers could never tell the difference?
Old 04-19-2006, 12:25 AM
Tech Elite

If you dont get to know the local fast guys running the same car your running, your not doing yourself much good in buying the COTM. You run a MI2???? well you should'nt have much problems in getting the set-up you need. Regardless of car choice stick with it people will get to know you and vice-versa. The only person interested in someone that switches cars alot is the guy behing the counter I'm out! Enjoy racing that's th bottom line.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:58 AM
Tech Champion

I believe a car is only as good as its driver,and what they are used to.

Ive raced both belt and shaft driven cars, and will say the belt driven feels smoother,which could be an advantage on a slippery track,but then you could always dial that in with your speed control, to a certain degree.

Ive stayed with the tc3 for quite a few years,maybe I prefer the on/off "snappy" power of the shaft driven car,some people prefer the smoothness of the belt driven cars.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:02 AM
Tech Initiate

With the Shaft vs Belt debate, both sides have there plus point and there minus points however when it comes down to results on the track people will buy what is doing well, however it won't really make much difference to the average club or even mid table national driver which way they go due to the fact one crash or a couple of ill timed corners will wipe out any advantage.

However I do prefer belt drive the simplicity of the drive train, coupled with the increased smoothness also no torque steer!? There can only be belts at top level competition. Other advantages as demonstrated by Losi is that you can easliy have an over drive or under drive by having a smaller pully in the front and rear diff. Theses sorts of thing just don't exist with a shaft drive car.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:29 AM
Tech Adept

I don't see that it would be difficult for a manufacturer to make a diff gear with an extra tooth for a shaft car?
Maybe they just don't want to?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.