Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Best 1/8 buggy for bashing and and little racing? >

Best 1/8 buggy for bashing and and little racing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Best 1/8 buggy for bashing and and little racing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 07:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Best 1/8 buggy for bashing and and little racing?

Hey guys, looking into buying an 1/8 scale buggy... I'm not doing huge jumps usually, just going through the yard or on my homemade track that I mainly bash on. I want to do some racing as well, so what would be the best choice? I looked at the arrma typhon and the 8ight-e 4.0, but the arrma seems like a cheapy brand and I think the losi is strictly for racing, correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 04-16-2016, 09:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Noseynose03
Hey guys, looking into buying an 1/8 scale buggy... I'm not doing huge jumps usually, just going through the yard or on my homemade track that I mainly bash on. I want to do some racing as well, so what would be the best choice? I looked at the arrma typhon and the 8ight-e 4.0, but the arrma seems like a cheapy brand and I think the losi is strictly for racing, correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,
Kevin
I wouldn't say losi is strictly for racing.
It is a very durable buggy and can take a beating. I would look for a 3.0 kit, I think I saw it for 410,- on eBay. Get a hobby wing esc and trackstar motor and u are set. The setup would stay under 600 assuming U got a radio u can throw in there. Batteries are ur choice. turnigy 5000mah ,u can buy 2 for around 70 dollars.

If u don't want to assemble ur own buggy kit, the losi 3.0 rtr is prob a good choice.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Tend to agree with swop77, there are no "strictly for racing" vehicles, there are vehicles more suited to racing. All my cars are considered "for racing" but none of them have ever seen a race or track. swop77's suggestion is good advice or you could go any of the higher end brands for what you want. If you are going to race a little I would suggest a higher end car anyway, well at least that's what I would do.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:24 AM
Tech Adept

I picked up a Associated 8.2e buggy a couple months ago. It's ready to run so no worrying about electronics or building it. I'm in the same boat as you, I mainly bash with a little track time thrown in and the associated buggy is great for that.

I would just advice you to check the screws before you go out and bash hard.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:40 PM
Tech Rookie

I like the Arrma because it's cheap and durable. If I get a losi or associated I'd get the rtr and if the esc sucks upgrade it. I think the arrma isn't really setup properly for racing, and it just looks like a traxxas in the handling + durability department.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:41 AM
Tech Adept

The Arrma is basically a clone of the Mugen as far as front and back suspension set up/geometry. In fact it will accept the arms and shock towers, hubs and pillow ball carriers. The DEX8 parts from Team Durango also fit those same parts from what I understand, because hey, they are from the same company. ( ARRMA Durango Ltd)
I have front lower arms from a MBX7 that fit and the only thing was it takes a 20 mm screw on the lower shock mounting because Mugen doesn't do the captured pin thing. Hooray. Sure makes finding parts that might commonly break much easier.

Yep, a little heavier, and the towers and chassis are inexpensive stamped aluminum plate.
However, I have beat the hell out of my Typhon and nothing has broken nor bent yet(knock on wood). I make a point of not running into things that don't move, like poles, full size cars, fences, concrete curbs, etc. I have been to Race Em RC indoor clay, that is a unforgiving track. Nothing passes me down the straight, and when I do my part the car handles beautifully and jumps like a race buggy.

All that being said, the current prices would make me look at the common track brands, TA, Losi/TLR, Tekno, Serpent....etc.

I got my Typhon over a month ago and it was $300 and change to my door(through massdrop). Hands down the best deal around. They are well over $400 now wherever I look, for some reason. :/
Old 04-29-2016, 08:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

I love my Typhon. The Losi was too much scratch for me. Been running the Typhon really hard (like 4-5 times a week, going through 3-4 3S 5000mah batteries) on my track at home and no issues.....
Old 04-30-2016, 07:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by NitroSport85
I picked up a Associated 8.2e buggy a couple months ago. It's ready to run so no worrying about electronics or building it. I'm in the same boat as you, I mainly bash with a little track time thrown in and the associated buggy is great for that.

I would just advice you to check the screws before you go out and bash hard.
Definitely check the hardware! I bought two rc8.2e RTR buggys for my two oldest sons and within 5 minutes each buggy lost a wheel. No joke
Old 06-12-2016, 10:23 AM
Tech Adept

I have HPI Vorza, its very durable for bashing but a little heavy for race...Very good support for parts. You can use most of parts D8, D812 HB buggys...
Old 06-13-2016, 05:21 AM
Tech Regular

i also have the vorza and it is a great all around buggy, only problem is the uncertainty surrounding HPI after the take over, i just hope i can still get parts for them into the future.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

IF you are willing to build one up, I dont think there has ever been a buggy more suited for bashing than the old Ofna Hyper 7's. They were incredibly durable, and parts are still readily available. Rollers can be bought on ebay for less than $100 if your patient.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 104 (100%+)
Default B5M

B5M not 1/8 scale it time to get some sleep my mistake again
Old 06-15-2016, 03:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oldenuff
i also have the vorza and it is a great all around buggy, only problem is the uncertainty surrounding HPI after the take over, i just hope i can still get parts for them into the future.
I think that Ripmax has that covered. They are already revamping HPI to be even bigger than before. I see big things coming from HPI once they get the game plan in place.

To the OP, i have an AE RC8 E-conversion and it has been a beast so far. I got it in pretty rough shape and bought quite a few new parts to get it back up and running. The biggest thing i have to worry about is the shock bushings(plastic...) and the center driveshafts wear very quickly. I put in a 3665 3150kv 4 pole GoolRC motor, an 80amp(120amp mislabel) Trackstar ESC and a Savox 0252-mg servo. It tops out around 45mph on a 4s pack running 15/50 gearing. Motor temps are in check at 155-160* after a 4s pack.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:23 AM
Tech Regular

Thread is a month old, did the OP get anything?

Another vote for the Arrma... The 2016 version is out now, with a new electronics package that addresses the bigges issue with the older version -the ESC. New ESC is a HobbyWing Quickrun rebrand. The car also get a new, larger motor.

I have the Truggy version - the Talion. Great truck, tough, and handles wonderful. I have no doubt that it can be a club level racer - the biggest issue will be the loose nut behind the steering wheel.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

If you still haven't bought anything a Tekno would be killer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.