Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Shimming 2.0T Rear Diff >

Shimming 2.0T Rear Diff

Shimming 2.0T Rear Diff

Old 12-15-2009, 10:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Shimming 2.0T Rear Diff

Read most of what I could find on this but still have a question or 2.

I installed new R&P all the bearings as well as sun gears and spider gears. When shimming, I get it close with the tinyest bit of backlash, but at one point when turning the pinion it binds up a bit. You can spin past the bind, but it worries me. If I pull a shim or 2, the bind goes away but now the pinion can move in and out. When you push the pinion in, the gear mesh is really bad. When you pull the pinion out the gear mesh is perfect.The problem is that when the suspension cycles, it will push the pinion in and i believe it will ruin the R&P.

Should I go with the first set-up and not worry about the slight bind?
Old 12-16-2009, 12:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

what is r&p ?
i got rid of a d8 and bought a 2.0 buggy 2 weeks ago, pulled down the 2.0 last week and ended up with the same prob as you are having when reassembling, i left it with the bind in one part of full rotation.
I ran the car for over an hour and a half on the week end at 2 different events and had no problem, i have not pulled the buggy apart to see how everything coped but all feels good, will let you know how it looks when i pull it to bits tomorrow
Old 12-16-2009, 02:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

When i shim new diffs they are usually tight...After half and hour to an hour worth of use it will loosen up and feel like a great diff!
Old 12-16-2009, 03:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default hello

Originally Posted by Funking-Awesome
When i shim new diffs they are usually tight...After half and hour to an hour worth of use it will loosen up and feel like a great diff!
tom losi diffs are diffrent mate they shim wit a tick of play not like mugen
and the diff case needs replacing more so
mugen got it rite losi are a touch weak there
Old 12-16-2009, 07:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

The first step is to set the pinion. With diff removed, push on the gear end of the pinion from the inside of the transmission housing. Next slide the transmission output coupler while still pushing on the pinion from the other side, tighten up the grub screw. You should have just about no play if you tug on the coupler back and fourth in the transmission. I get it as tight as I can but I can still free spin the attached CVD in the bearing when holding the transmission half rightside up with the CVD dangling down.

I believe if you have the pinion end play set too tight it will cause the bearings to get hot and distort the transmission housing.

Remember to use lock tight on the grub screw. I prefer red, blue will work fine also and is easier to work with.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aaron joy
The first step is to set the pinion. With diff removed, push on the gear end of the pinion from the inside of the transmission housing. Next slide the transmission output coupler while still pushing on the pinion from the other side, tighten up the grub screw. You should have just about no play if you tug on the coupler back and fourth in the transmission. I get it as tight as I can but I can still free spin the attached CVD in the bearing when holding the transmission half rightside up with the CVD dangling down.

I believe if you have the pinion end play set too tight it will cause the bearings to get hot and distort the transmission housing.

Remember to use lock tight on the grub screw. I prefer red, blue will work fine also and is easier to work with.
Great!!! I'll set the CVD first. I was really wondering aout that. Thanks for the info!
Old 12-16-2009, 07:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

You are welcome!