Search
Like Tree66Likes

Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 05:22 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bds81175
I was under the impression people were breaking the front tower brace not the tower itself. Is that correct? If that's the case, I watched a guy break one last weekend. He was running it for the first time and hadn't driven a 1/10 scale car in a LONG time. He was struggling to land a particular jump and when you didn't land it right you ended up kind of cartwheeling into the wall. That will do it.
I think you're right and we're just kinda calling the whole thing the tower.

I laughed when I read that above. This car and my B5M are the first 10th scalers I've had for almost 20 years. But I did drive 8th scale offroad last season. I had some pretty good wrecks the first time I ran mine on carpet a few weeks ago. Biggest problem I had was the shocks popping off at the tower and camber/steering links popping off.

When I took it apart after the first race day to change my caster, the four screws that attach the inner hinge pin hangers were all bent pretty bad. I think Torrance said that would be the case rather than bent pins. One of my pins is tweaked a little too but everything still seems to be moving properly. I'm ordering a set of hinge pins this morning to take care of it though.

I was actually surprised how well the suspension was working with all four of those screws being bent the way they were.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

[QUOTE=iScream;13846487
When I took it apart after the first race day to change my caster, the four screws that attach the inner hinge pin hangers were all bent pretty bad. I think Torrance said that would be the case rather than bent pins. One of my pins is tweaked a little too but everything still seems to be moving properly. I'm ordering a set of hinge pins this morning to take care of it though..[/QUOTE]

Loctite the screws for the front hinge pin blocks. The screws and/or hinge pins can bend if they loosen at all. Mine have been fine since I did that.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Sounds like just bad luck not really design issues, then.
I've cart wheeled mine pretty good into the concrete wall at our track and even the right front corner of the car hit the edge of the concrete wall and still took it like a champ. I thought for sure the whole front corner was going to be trashed.

I'm more curious to see how this car does outside on the outdoors tracks this spring and summer. Most of our tracks around here are 1/8 sized as well.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:33 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I will say this without hesitation: this is the toughest 4x4 I have seen by far. I've owned and watched the Durango and it's made of glass. The B44.3 seems to break well before the D413 and the Losi seems to as well. The Kyosho is a beautiful car but seems to break at odd times for things you wouldn't expect it to break for. The only car I have seen that seems to be close in durability is the XRay but I haven't had a ton of visibility with those.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Yeti AS3
Loctite the screws for the front hinge pin blocks. The screws and/or hinge pins can bend if they loosen at all. Mine have been fine since I did that.
+1
Old 02-13-2015, 07:56 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Yeti AS3
I did from the start, as I always do on any screw going into metal. They weren't loose, just bent, but it took a few good tumbles my first time out with it.

I haven't looked at them yet after racing Sunday but I was much easier on the car so I'm thinking they will be in pretty good shape.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:01 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by bds81175
I will say this without hesitation: this is the toughest 4x4 I have seen by far. I've owned and watched the Durango and it's made of glass. The B44.3 seems to break well before the D413 and the Losi seems to as well. The Kyosho is a beautiful car but seems to break at odd times for things you wouldn't expect it to break for. The only car I have seen that seems to be close in durability is the XRay but I haven't had a ton of visibility with those.
Can't argue with that. Four wheeler buggies were dropping out all over the place at our indoor track Sunday. In the 4WD b-main I think they started with 6 and only 2 finished the race. I think we lost at least two out of the a-main as well.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:15 AM
Tech Master

Last week or couple weeks ago at our track in one of the qualifiers it started with 7 cars and only 4 D413s finished the qualifier. My friend drives a AE and about every other week he's usually replacing an arm. Last week he finally ordered a D413 after having shock shaft bend and then in qualifier breaking an arm. The AE barely kissed the tube and broke.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iScream
When I took it apart after the first race day to change my caster, the four screws that attach the inner hinge pin hangers were all bent pretty bad. I think Torrance said that would be the case rather than bent pins. One of my pins is tweaked a little too but everything still seems to be moving properly. I'm ordering a set of hinge pins this morning to take care of it though.
I'm curious. Could you see that the screws were bent or only when you tried to remove them? I heard that they could bend so I visually inspect them and they seem fine. Haven't had a need to take them off recently.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:04 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by kdeleon
I'm curious. Could you see that the screws were bent or only when you tried to remove them? I heard that they could bend so I visually inspect them and they seem fine. Haven't had a need to take them off recently.
Nope, I had no idea until I started to remove them so I could go back to 8 degrees from the 12 degrees I tried my first time out. I'm sure my suspension was out of whack even though the arms still moved freely.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

is anybody using the stock B5 shock caps? Has anyone tried to upgraded aluminum B5 ones?
Old 02-13-2015, 09:22 AM
Tech Master

You can use the Composite B5 caps and need the composite B5 standoffs for them.

As for Aluminum, the only option beside the HB ones are using the Serpent SRX Caps, Standoffs and bushings, which add up quickly.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chrisnitro
is anybody using the stock B5 shock caps? Has anyone tried to upgraded aluminum B5 ones?
The b5 aluminum ones don't fit right.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:11 AM
Tech Addict

When using the B5 shock cap do you guys use a cut HB bladder as a O ring seal or use the B5 O ring??
Old 02-13-2015, 10:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

What about the caps Ty Tessman is using, aren't they Proline? Has anyone seen these mythical caps? lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.