Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Sway bars for 1/8 scale truggy?  (Bashing only) >

Sway bars for 1/8 scale truggy? (Bashing only)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By billdelong
  • 2 Post By Evoking1230

Sway bars for 1/8 scale truggy? (Bashing only)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 06:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Sway bars for 1/8 scale truggy? (Bashing only)

Hi all

I built up a new truggy over the holiday and have been running it at the park, jumping, running thru grass etc.

For bashing purposes only, is a sway bar even needed? The truggy is already low slung and has a low CG.

I am trying out some some big jumps so it it seems like removing them might make sense.

Any thoughts?

Old 01-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Probably not necessary unless you're traction rolling:
https://www.teknorc.com/wp-content/u...t_Up_Guide.pdf

Troubles Dad and Dave_S like this.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

8th scales need them. Keep them on.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by UK.hardcore
8th scales need them. Keep them on.
I'm curious to learn more on your thought process behind this statement?

Under what circumstance would a sway bar be necessary for bashing? For instance, I see lots of cheap 1/8 Truggies sold all over the net without sway bars and they seem to do just fine.

I recently had an interesting situation where my EB48.4 mysteriously started driving faster for me one day. It wasn't until later that evening when I was doing maintenance that I had discovered that one of the 2 mount points on the front sway bar mount had snapped. This allowed a significant amount of slop making the front sway bar very ineffective. Next race day I decided to remove the front sway bar completely, and sure enough I had gobs more steering response and lap times were just about as fast as they had improved before, but my consistency had dropped off. There was an off-camber section of the track that would sometimes catch my front end and I'd traction roll What I decided was to go with the lightest sway bar that I could find after replacing the front gear box so that both sway bar mount holes could be used again and that did the trick!.

This is probably the only time where having a broken part on my car actually improved performance, ha! It would actually teach me a lesson that I need to also experiment with maxing out my tuning window on each option to get a better feel on what it does to my lap times. In contrast, from a basher perspective, I'm not really seeing why sway bars are necessary for clearing basic jumps and what not? For a non-prepped area, I can see where not having sway bars will improve traction to get more grip.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdelong
Probably not necessary unless you're traction rolling:
https://www.teknorc.com/wp-content/u...t_Up_Guide.pdf

Thanks for this!

So printing this out! About to tackle swaybar tuning to dial in some rear on power traction in my eTruggy!!!!
billdelong and Dave_S like this.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Take them off, and start bash session at 50%. Ramp up from there.

As long as it doesn't feel or behave sketchy I'd say your fine without them.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:25 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by smirkracing
Hi all

I built up a new truggy over the holiday and have been running it at the park, jumping, running thru grass etc.

For bashing purposes only, is a sway bar even needed? The truggy is already low slung and has a low CG.

I am trying out some some big jumps so it it seems like removing them might make sense.

Any thoughts?

It looks to me you have no clue what a swaybar does and what it can change to your car.

Because there is more weight above the center of the driveshaft the car will lean over in the corners. Swaybars will lower that effect. The thicker the swaybar the more straight up the car will stay in the corners . There is only 1 disadvantage, the thicker the swaybar the less the grip on the wheels where it is mounted.
For large jumps you rather want to look into thicker shock oil and maybe harder springs but most of all many spare parts because you will damage a lot if you can not land on 4 wheels.....

Last edited by Roelof; 01-11-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Depends on the type of basher are. Regardless of where I'm driving I still want my vehicle to handle well and heavy vehicles handle better with sway bars.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

No sway bars will allow the suspension to work independently of each other, ie better for bashing.
sway bars are not needed, they are another tuning tool for racers
Old 01-13-2019, 02:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Unless you are going over some really really rough terrain i would keep em on. The immediate benefits in handling outweigh any negatives from more articulation resistance. Especially in a heavy truggy chassis control is important.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Thanks all! Lots of good tips here. For now I am leaving them on. They are assembled with the ball-ends of the links flush with the very end of the sway bars, which is to say, they are as soft as they can mechanically be.

The truck handles shockingly well (Tekno et48). This is my first tekno and it is pretty incredible. The truck is big and heavy but it’s nimble and agile like a much smaller vehicle.