Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
carbon fiber vs alum >

carbon fiber vs alum

carbon fiber vs alum

Old 09-26-2004, 07:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default carbon fiber vs alum

if cost is not an issue what would be better for a novice driver as far as upgraded parts. should i replace graphite with CF or alum. i'm running a tc3 factory team so i have some upgrades already.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:06 AM
Tech Adept

you should get used to the car b4 buyin upgrades. thats the mistake i made i bought upgrades and i kept breakin the upgrades. lol
Old 09-26-2004, 08:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

but would't the upgraded parts be stronger and break less then the stock?
Old 09-26-2004, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Carbonfiber breaks where aluminum bends. If you hit hard enough to break a carbon A-arm, the aluminum would have either bent, or ripped out the suspension mounts. If you bend an aluminum arm or shock tower, your car will be very evil handlig and it will be tough to figure out why. Plus, if you load your car up with aluminum parts, it is now heavier thus having more kinetic energy, and more likely to break when you hit something.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

for a novice driver, regular plastic parts will be the best. They will give slightly without breaking like the CF parts will. Aluminum arms will just bend, stay away from them.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For a novice driver, believe it or not, the plain ol team car with the plastic parts will have the most durability....the carbon parts on the factory team car you have are a little lighter and stiffer but will usually break easier........And Most of the super expensive aftermarket aluminum parts (like A-arms and shock towers, ect....are much heavier and have a tendincy to bend or tweak pretty easy....... at least with the plastic or carbon parts....their either straight or their broken (no inbetween) ......For a novice driver , I would say...practice and spend your money on something that can give you an advantage.....
Old 09-26-2004, 09:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

oops ...I hit send kinda late