rock, paper, scisors...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

rock, paper, scisors...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 08:04 AM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Another reason we need ESPN 8 ... THE OCHO!
Old 07-08-2007, 10:10 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Desolas
Another reason we need ESPN 8 ... THE OCHO!
if you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RussB
if you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.
If you can dodge that you can dodge my X-Ray, or can you?
Old 07-08-2007, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

the ocho.. that's awesome.. great movie
Old 07-08-2007, 10:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

R/C doesn't have the 50 grand payout.
It is a sport with pros isn't it?
Old 07-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

...I didn't watch the RPS - but I have to ask "WHO" were the "PAID" advertisers?

Energy Drink? Computer Game? New Movie? Clothes Company? Laundry Detergent? "Male Enhancement" Drug?

One of the things I see is when R/C Guys try to do things - the want to rely on the R/C industry to support it...

If someone could convience a MONSTER ENERGY - RED BULL - NOS ENERGY - 5 hour Energy - or some other NEW AGE Pop Culture company that is trying to BEAT their competition by being EVERYWHERE to get on board as a big enough sponsor to cover the TV and Production costs...

Here are some of the WARS that are going on BIG TIME right now.

ENERGY DRINKS - HUGE HUGE HUGE

TEL-COM - the battle with SPRINT - ALLTEL - AT&T is MEGA Huge

COKE/PEPSI is always HUGE (Coke announced a NEW 10 year deal to take over as major sponsor of the JULY NASCAR RACE at DAYTONA which has been the PEPSI 400 for years - That had to HURT)

HARD LICQUOR and/or Beer Companies always at war...

...How about "ANTI-TABACCO" money - from the TABACCO Industry that they are forced to spend on 'education' or the monies from the ALCOHOL companies that that have to spend on "DRINK SMART" type stuff.

Problem is - you have to make the event a SHOW - and MOST r/c racing from the outside is BORING. When somebody can figure out a way to bracket it - create an 'interesting for t.v.' format and HIGHLY edit it into 22 or 45 minute programing. (A 5 or 6 show deal - series type) who knows...but it would have to focus on the PEOPLE - not the cars. It would need all the "Smack Talk" and "Hype" guys could throw at it - almost to a point of 'over dramatization'.

R/C Racers would watch - and LAUGH
Old 07-09-2007, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

interesting what you say there about it having to be about the people and not the cars... i "tried" to watch "setup" on speed (it was terrible) but they obviously took that same perspective.. they spent more time trying to build drama between the people and sponsors and what not, and never showed the cars or the wrenching and certainly never talked about "the setup" which is what i had tuned in for.. in the end i just muted it and watched those hott solstices running around the track.. i want one..
Old 07-09-2007, 04:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
R/C doesn't have the 50 grand payout.
It is a sport with pros isn't it?
Originally Posted by SWTour
...I didn't watch the RPS - but I have to ask "WHO" were the "PAID" advertisers?

Energy Drink? Computer Game? New Movie? Clothes Company? Laundry Detergent? "Male Enhancement" Drug?

One of the things I see is when R/C Guys try to do things - the want to rely on the R/C industry to support it...

If someone could convience a MONSTER ENERGY - RED BULL - NOS ENERGY - 5 hour Energy - or some other NEW AGE Pop Culture company that is trying to BEAT their competition by being EVERYWHERE to get on board as a big enough sponsor to cover the TV and Production costs...

Here are some of the WARS that are going on BIG TIME right now.

ENERGY DRINKS - HUGE HUGE HUGE

TEL-COM - the battle with SPRINT - ALLTEL - AT&T is MEGA Huge

COKE/PEPSI is always HUGE (Coke announced a NEW 10 year deal to take over as major sponsor of the JULY NASCAR RACE at DAYTONA which has been the PEPSI 400 for years - That had to HURT)

HARD LICQUOR and/or Beer Companies always at war...

...How about "ANTI-TABACCO" money - from the TABACCO Industry that they are forced to spend on 'education' or the monies from the ALCOHOL companies that that have to spend on "DRINK SMART" type stuff.

Problem is - you have to make the event a SHOW - and MOST r/c racing from the outside is BORING. When somebody can figure out a way to bracket it - create an 'interesting for t.v.' format and HIGHLY edit it into 22 or 45 minute programing. (A 5 or 6 show deal - series type) who knows...but it would have to focus on the PEOPLE - not the cars. It would need all the "Smack Talk" and "Hype" guys could throw at it - almost to a point of 'over dramatization'.

R/C Racers would watch - and LAUGH
The energy drink is a great idea. If they were sold at the track then that would be even better since they are SO popular now. I get one everyday at work. Also any company like JL Audio or Sony would be great. Even Microsoft and the XBox branch. I believe RC has a future if more people knew about it.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Tech Elite

...as a RACER - I would love to watch the show closely focused on the WRENCHING and the interaction in the pits and on the stand during a race. The intense focus in the eyes of the racers - the FISHING they do with their radios as they corner - the biting of their lip from concentrating so hard - the yelling at corner marshals when THEY crash their car - all of that stuff could be kind of fun drama to put on a split screen with the cars racing around.

You would have to take an event and focus on ONE class - highlight qualifying into about a 3 or 4 minute segment of the show (remember to cover an entire race day in a 1/2 hour program you'd only have 22 minutes roughly of air time) A hour deal would be better - and it would take a ton of good editing to make it interesting for NON r/c people AND r/c people.

I don't remember which show was 'SETUP' I've watched several of the shows on SPEED - and I think the one I liked was one with TOMMY KENDALL

Last edited by SWTour; 07-09-2007 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour
...as a RACER - I would love to watch the show closely focused on the WRENCHING and the interaction in the pits and on the stand during a race. The intense focus in the eyes of the racers - the FISHING they do with their radios as they corner - the biting of their lip from concentrating so hard - the yelling at corner marshals when THEY crash their car - all of that stuff could be kind of fun drama to put on a split screen with the cars racing around.

You would have to take an event and focus on ONE class - highlight qualifying into about a 3 or 4 minute segment of the show (remember to cover an entire race day in a 1/2 hour program you'd only have 22 minutes roughly of air time) A hour deal would be better - and it would take a ton of good editing to make it interesting for NON r/c people AND r/c people.

I don't remember which show was 'SETUP' I've watched several of the shows on SPEED - and I think the one I liked was one with TOMMY KENDALL (Forza I think)
TK hosted Setup. And I personally liked it a lot. I feel that a simaller approach could be taken to an RC race, such as the one mentioned above. I think that it could work quite well. Just as RC Racing TV (I think thats right) seems to be doing well in the UK.

I think that the best company to approach is Lucas oil. They have their "On the edge" series on Speed. The expose some of the more "obscure" forms of motorsports in the US. Such as trailer racing, school buss racing, and so on. And some of you who watched the "Summer Shootout" series that takes place at Lowes motor speedway for the Legends cars. This is televised on a yearly basis (usually in the off season) on Speed. It has gained a lot of exposure for the Legends Cars since it began. Maybe a simaller series could do the same for RC. Who knows?

At any rate... Rock Paper Scissors is almost as bad as the spelling bee and Magic the Gathering tournaments ESPN shows.... lets see some RC!!!
Old 07-10-2007, 03:55 AM
Tech Elite

I think that the best company to approach is Lucas oil. They have their "On the edge" series on Speed.
I actually had the same thought w/ LUCAS 2 years ago, and did approach them. Got a really nice decline letter from them (which doesn't usually deter me from continuing to try in the future), but in the letter the listed the
$1,000's of dollars there already had budgeted on 'grass roots' racing programs all over the U.S. and also told me how far ahead they planned their budget...

I've got similar responses from a few other companies and see a trend in the 'timing' for some of them to get into their advertising budget...others seem to have a open budget (at least for smaller projects) all year round.

An interesting response I received once - from a big box store chain was to concentrate on local stores and not on the corporate level for smaller event type sponsorships.

...I must add, I don't really look for many, nor rely on many sponsorship deals for the series I promote/direct except for some small support to help keep the series alive every year - and for certain special events like our upcoming **ALLSTAR SHOOTOUT** which is a very small participation event for former and current 'Series Champions' from the first 6 years of our series.

This event has built some great support from with-in the R/C community and will have a payout of over $1000.00 in cash and prizes to the winners of this 2 segment event.