Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
Windy city rc raceway and hobbies 2.0 >

Windy city rc raceway and hobbies 2.0

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree225Likes

Windy city rc raceway and hobbies 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 12:47 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nerobro
I visited just about an hour ago. They're still open this week, and they're looking to have a final race next Saturday. Here's hoping that's how it works out.

It doesn't look like we can ~save it now~ but we can still enjoy it while the track is here.
Figures. I finally get freed up to get to the place, just start to get adjusted to carpet and it gone.

I’ve been hearing rumors since before winter.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:49 PM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=tonyd;15432246]
Originally Posted by KINGZJ
It could have been fine if things were done the way they were supposed to be from the start. But he never listened to the people he should have..
Please give the man credit for putting together an absolutely world class facility . As a small business owner,
I can tell you there are many with opinions ,but few with the cash to back them up...
Anyone out there willing to pitch in & save the track ?
Old 04-15-2019, 01:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tonyd
It could have been fine if things were done the way they were supposed to be from the start. But he never listened to the people he should have..
How should things have been done differently? I'm just curious what changes you'd have made...
Old 04-15-2019, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Well who wants to make it a party?

Get some food there, maybe a second hand makeshift raffle, do a figure 8 race at the end of the night, etc...
mooby64 and Nerobro like this.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:32 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Troy Carter

Get some food there, maybe a second hand makeshift raffle, do a figure 8 race at the end of the night, etc...

Do it right... Keg of beer & strippers..
anthonyscardina and Nerobro like this.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

[QUOTE=metalcrafter;15432313]

Please give the man credit for putting together an absolutely world class facility . As a small business owner,
I can tell you there are many with opinions ,but few with the cash to back them up...
Anyone out there willing to pitch in & save the track ?
I think the amount of money needed to save it is fairly high. I doubt their would be any return on investment. Most tracks are borderline at best to break even. Very few actually earn enough to stay around more than a couple years. Your not going to be rich opening an rc track thats for sure but I do believe you can open one and earn a modest living but the time investment is huge and when you put labor hours into dollars you would find you are working for minimum wage at best. I do not know the formula to keeping a track open. Put things into perspective.

$20 per entry

weekly racers at wcrc maybe 30 on saturday and maybe 30 on sunday so estimate 60 per week

$4000 in just race entries to cover $11000 in rent. To save windy the turnouts would have to have doubled imo.

In my mind I would think you have to count on your race entries covering your rent at a minimum. Then you go into all the other monthly utility bills which in a place like that has to be pretty big. Sure your selling parts but you cant really count on a set dollar amount for sales because the internet has killed hobby shop sales. And from what I have been told you dont really make all that much selling parts unless you move alot of parts which windy never really did from what I could see. Thats why I stick with my original statement of you cant have a nice expensive building for rc racing the money will never even out. Now had windy been able to stay at the original building and been able to work things out with the landlord to actually fix the building I would bet we wouldnt be having this conversation. Windy got to big and to expensive to keep going a real bummer I really enjoyed racing on the carpet again.

Jesse
Old 04-15-2019, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by anthonyscardina
How should things have been done differently? I'm just curious what changes you'd have made...
DON'T CARE

Last edited by tonyd; 04-16-2019 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

I agree with you but wouldn't he have known all of that? What was he thinking, what was the plan?

[QUOTE=KINGZJ;15432345]
Originally Posted by metalcrafter

I think the amount of money needed to save it is fairly high. I doubt their would be any return on investment. Most tracks are borderline at best to break even. Very few actually earn enough to stay around more than a couple years. Your not going to be rich opening an rc track thats for sure but I do believe you can open one and earn a modest living but the time investment is huge and when you put labor hours into dollars you would find you are working for minimum wage at best. I do not know the formula to keeping a track open. Put things into perspective.
$20 per entry
weekly racers at wcrc maybe 30 on saturday and maybe 30 on sunday so estimate 60 per week$4000 in just race entries to cover $11000 in rent. To save windy the turnouts would have to have doubled imo.
I agree with you but wouldn't he have known all that? What was he thinking, what was the plan?

In my mind I would think you have to count on your race entries covering your rent at a minimum. Then you go into all the other monthly utility bills which in a place like that has to be pretty big. Sure your selling parts but you cant really count on a set dollar amount for sales because the internet has killed hobby shop sales. And from what I have been told you dont really make all that much selling parts unless you move alot of parts which windy never really did from what I could see. Thats why I stick with my original statement of you cant have a nice expensive building for rc racing the money will never even out. Now had windy been able to stay at the original building and been able to work things out with the landlord to actually fix the building I would bet we wouldnt be having this conversation. Windy got to big and to expensive to keep going a real bummer I really enjoyed racing on the carpet again.

Jesse
Old 04-15-2019, 01:59 PM
Tech Master

A figure 8 race is a good idea, there won't be much use for a TC any more

Originally Posted by Troy Carter

Old 04-15-2019, 02:04 PM
Tech Elite

Lol ya touring car smash up derby.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Sad day for sure. I just built a 6.1 for carpet and it hasn’t been used yet
Old 04-15-2019, 03:15 PM
Tech Elite

[QUOTE=outlandr91;15432365]I agree with you but wouldn't he have known all of that? What was he thinking, what was the plan?

Honestly I think he was thinking that the turnouts would be better and honestly I think that they should have been. I dont have any answers but I am surprised by the low turnouts.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

From Facebook WCRC
To our customers, due to circumstances beyond our control, Windy City Raceway and Hobbies has decided to close our doors. We will be open the rest of the week 11 am to 7 pm. We appreciate all our loyal customers and we have enjoyed meeting you and your families. Continue to shop at your local hobby stores!

We will also be holding our last race this Saturday both on and off road

Doors open @ 9am and racing @ 11am
$10 cash only for all the classes you want to run.

Thank you again for all your support since our opening in 2016.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I hate to see any track close.
Unfortunate there is always a reason.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

IT'S A mute point at this time..
You brought it up. Curious minds want to know. How you would have done things differently? I'll sit down and wait for your answer.
anthonyscardina likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.