Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help for newbie in 1/8th electric racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 03:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Help for newbie in 1/8th electric racing

Hey all. So I have the opportunity to get into 1/8 scale racing (insert squeal of glee here). I was wanting to know which vehicle of these two I should get and why. Team Associated RC8 B3e or Tekno EB48.3.

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-20-2016, 02:05 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Probably better to ask this question in the electric off road area. But what are most people running at your home track? What is the parts support like in your area? Who can help you with set up specific to your car?

Answer these question and you will be on the right track to making your own choice.

You might end up with something not even on your list.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for your response.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:22 AM
Tech Adept

As much as folks like to champion a favorite(Which is almost always what they bought themselves, even if they couldn't explain why it is the best car ever, it just is.) the top and most popular cars in 1/8 buggy are really too close to call and I guarantee it makes little to no difference unless you are a top racer(sponsored) in your region.

The main difference is are you willing to carry one of everything, or go with the car that has support at the parts counter at your track? I guarantee that it will be Losi or Associated in that case. I mean, those Agamas Snakes Xrays Teknos and 'Rangos are all good, if you don't mind carrying what you need they are competitive as any.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by lolagt
As much as folks like to champion a favorite(Which is almost always what they bought themselves, even if they couldn't explain why it is the best car ever, it just is.) the top and most popular cars in 1/8 buggy are really too close to call and I guarantee it makes little to no difference unless you are a top racer(sponsored) in your region.

The main difference is are you willing to carry one of everything, or go with the car that has support at the parts counter at your track? I guarantee that it will be Losi or Associated in that case. I mean, those Agamas Snakes Xrays Teknos and 'Rangos are all good, if you don't mind carrying what you need they are competitive as any.
You might want to take a look at Jason Snyder his youtube videos to get a better comparison on 1/8 scale buggy's
Old 07-15-2016, 12:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

This will be totally subjective, because you are going to be getting answers from fanboys for both camps, but as lola pointed out, the top offerings from the big companies are going to be a wash. All are capable of winning on any given race day.

Local parts support is something to consider, as is what are most local guys running. If you are not 100% confident in car tuning, there is nothing wrong with getting what everyone else has and then getting input on car setups.

At least at my track, most guys will even let you hot lap their rigs, and you will find 2 identical cars that drive completely different. Then you can put the setup in your car that makes it drive like the one you liked best.

Now if all things are equal? My vote would certainly go to the Tekno.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the help wrenchdoctor. I found what you said very helpful to me.

I just pulled the trigger and got the Tekno.

Thank you all for your help.

Now time to build the kit.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Im glad i could help! Glad you went ahead and made a decision before "analysis paralysis" set in

Tekno is a fine choice and i have no doubts that you will be 100% satisfied with your decision. I suspect my track is greater than 50% Tekno across the board, be it in the buggy and SCT classes, and I quite literally cannot remember a single one of them breaking all season. In fact, it's not uncommon at all to read on Tekno pages that guys go an entire year and never replace a single piece.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Tekno has alot more support and parts at local tracks but for 1/10th AE all day....oh i race 1/8 mugens so no fanboy stuff over here just facts
Old 09-22-2016, 09:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wrenchdoctor
This will be totally subjective, because you are going to be getting answers from fanboys for both camps, but as lola pointed out, the top offerings from the big companies are going to be a wash. All are capable of winning on any given race day.

Local parts support is something to consider, as is what are most local guys running. If you are not 100% confident in car tuning, there is nothing wrong with getting what everyone else has and then getting input on car setups.

At least at my track, most guys will even let you hot lap their rigs, and you will find 2 identical cars that drive completely different. Then you can put the setup in your car that makes it drive like the one you liked best.

Now if all things are equal? My vote would certainly go to the Tekno.
Enter the TeKno fanboy.hope you brought your own smores because my camps not sharing